Grabbing the blade
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11533) 11 years ago
Okay, I've been watching figure skating since black and white tv and Dick Button still had dark hair. I've gotten through the change in judging (huge improvement, if confusing) and some pretty dang over-the-top costumes but what is with all the skaters grabbing their blades?

In the pairs competition last night (which I watched recorded tonight), all the pairs were grabbing their blades all the time. It makes for a mighty ugly death spiral when the woman is clutching her ice skate as if she had a foot cramp.

Does grabbing the blade make it safer? I know pairs skaters get the occasional skate in the face. Or does it up the points because it is more difficult?

Looks weird to me but I still remember when figure skaters skated figures. (Talk about DULL.)
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14818) 11 years ago
Perhaps you are Bart can experiment and report your finding back to us. I'm sure there have been times he wanted to grab you by the blades.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (2/16/2010)]
Posted by CK (+845) 11 years ago
They get more points for grabbing the blade. There was one pair that was doing it way too much! it was driving me crazy! I agree, not near as pretty and you described it perfectly with the leg cramping comparison. It is more challenging to do, which give more technical points.

I enjoy figure skating too, or shall I say, I enjoy WATCHING figure skating.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 11 years ago
I'm sure that the phrase "grabbing the blade" will acquire some sexual connotation eventually.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2634) 11 years ago
I'm sure that the phrase "grabbing the blade" will acquire some sexual connotation eventually.

Looks like it just did, if "morans" is any indication.

[This message has been edited by Kelly (2/17/2010)]