founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
So, I saw it. WOW. VISUALLY SPLENDIFEROUS!

The plot was LAME. The dialogue was FLAT. The character development was NIL. There was not one second of suspense or one moment of surprise in the entire two hours and forty-five minutes. I could predict everything about twenty minutes in advance.

That said, it was the most compelling dull movie I have ever seen. The visuals were amazing on all counts. The phosphorescence of the plants! The variety of insects! The performance capture! Yes, it there was a hint of cartoon (with such a lame plot, there would have been whether it was animated or not) but it was stunning to watch. With the eyes. Not with the brain.

I'm glad I saw it. I am now "in" on the cultural phenomena. It deserves a billion awards for visual effects.

But, take away the visual effects, and it was just. . .sad.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9191) 11 years ago
You'll probably enjoy this review then: http://tigerbeatdown.com/?p=732 (some profanity)
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17044) 11 years ago
Did you see it in 3D?

Theaters charged a premium price to see the 3D version of the movie. When I went, I had a coupon for a "free movie" that I had gotten for buying two boxes of General Mills cereal. The coupon was good for a free movie up to $12. I think the cost of the 3D Avatar movie was $13.50 so when the ticket booth guy looked at the "free movie" coupon he said, "I think you're going to have to pay $1.50 for your ticket." He then proceeded to type in a bunch of numbers from the coupon... and then shake his head... type a bunch of numbers... shake head... over and over and over. The line was getting long behind me, the crowd was starting to get ugly. Finally the ticket guy got on his "walkie talkie" and talked to his manager whom I heard say, "Just do a manager override." or something like that. Then the ticket guy gave me my ticket and said, "You don't owe anything." Yay! I got $13.50 value out of a coupon that for a normal show would have only been worth $10.
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+271) 11 years ago
my husband and i saw the film last weekend and totally agree with your comments! visually stunning; a plot very similar to pocahontas and fern gully.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17317) 11 years ago
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1904) 11 years ago
Pocahontas WAS NOT in 3-D, Gunnar.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
Don't forget the "Ferngully" and "Dragonriders of Pern" theft references.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 11 years ago
It's another "white guilt" or "imperialist guilt" or whatever you want to call it type of movie. There are lots of them. Basic plot line is the white man joins the tribe of indigenous peoples, learns to respect them and their culture, probably falls in love with one of their women, and then is horrified when his evil countrymen wipe out the natives and take their land. "Dances with Wolves" and "Little Big Man" are some more examples.
Posted by Jeremy Orthman (+434) 11 years ago
Forget the movies you mentioned it was Dances With Wolves in space. Althought was visually stunning.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 11 years ago
I'm thinking of picking this up tonight. Is it worth the $$? It looks really good.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 11 years ago
Levi, that's exactly what I was thinking through the whole thing. But seeing it in a theatre was amazing on a screen that big. I am now anticipating seeing it on my new 58" plasma. It is going to be great. But not a deeply thought provoking movie. It reminded me of Dances with Wolves meets Alien (all the sleeping in pods, etc). However, it was my first movie in a theatre in like 10 years, and it definately reminded me of what I have been missing. Theatres today really are good with the surround sound, the giant screen, and the reclining seats.
Posted by Septimius (+65) 11 years ago
Whatever it is about, and whether or not it is "worth the $$$", it sure made a LOT of money at the box office.

Sure, a lot of crap movies make a lot of money, but from what I gather, it is a decent movie with great visuals that made a BUTTLOAD of money. To me, that means that there is SOMETHING to the movie that makes people want to watch it over and over, and I do not think it was due ONLY to the visuals.

I am going to buy it because I want to see it, my family wants to see it, and from what I again gather, it seems to me that it will be worth the "$$$" because it will be re-watchable.

Don't see movies to stimulate the brain. See movies for the FUN of it. If in the meantime, a movie makes you use your brain and you ENJOYED that, then great. If you watch movies and you WANT it to stimulate your brain and it doesn't? Then watch Wheel of Fortune.

Just my humble opinion here of you above posters just rehashing the already typed words of rehashed reviews of this movies found on thousands of other websites.

Somehow in someway, peoples opinions just HAVE to include negativity in anything expressed here on MC.com (just my humble and included negative opinion)

Internet Bandwagon FTL!!!

Family Night and Popcorn FTW!!!