Looking for Simple Recipes
Posted by Lacey Lu (+21) 11 years ago
Hello,

I am looking for some simple and easy recipes. I am over seas right now and don't have access to alot of commercial food products like Campbells soup and stuff. But just looking for some quick and easy recipes that i can make. Thanks
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
Can you get salmon, ginger, soy sauce and mirin in Denmark? I've got a killer pasta recipe that's easy.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 11 years ago
Made these yesterday for superbowl: http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/?p=6585 - very good, very easy.
Posted by WATTS (+223) 11 years ago
My wife makes Dorito enchiladas. Just take the Doritos on the bottom of the pan and then what you would normally put in enchiladas and then more doritos and cheese and sauce and bake. Hope ya like it!
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 11 years ago
Lacey,

Let me just ask - what sort of foods are within easy reach where you are? Seafoods? Meats? Grains? Veges and herbs?...and what kinds? I have a few recipes in mind, but could offer you one or 2 depending on what you can get.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
Eating in Scandinavia can be daunting at first to your average American used to living off processed foods. Plus, the restaurants suck. But you can do it!

I would recommend embracing the local cuisine. Buy crisp bread, cheeses, lunch meats (ham, sausages, etc.), veggies, and eat open face sandwiches. Rye bread is also a good thing. Yogurt and caviar over there are amazing. And of course, there is fish....herring, smoked salmon, all is good. They eat a lot of potatoes too. Get some lingonberry sauces. Cream is a must.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
My wife is an excellent cook with Asian food. Her rice crispy bars are to die for.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
Potatoes in many forms....mashed, fried, hash browns....and any vegetable steamed with whatever meat you have will give you multiple variations for meals. There's nothing simpler than meat, potatoes and a vegetable.
Well I am living in Denmark. They do have alot of fresh fish here, but i am not a big fan of Fish. Being a ranch girl, I LOVE my steaks!! I have access to stores and stuff. It just that we don't have the same brands and sometime types of food. I have to get things translated before i go to the store sometimes, to make sure i get the right stuff.

So any simple/easy and not alot of ingredents recipes would help.

thanks
Posted by LG (+195) 11 years ago
First, you take the chicken. Then you put it in the basket. Then you got the chicken in the basket! Bork bork!

I know you said you like your steaks, but I know an easy fettuccine sauce recipe.

Take 8 oz cream cheese and start to warm in sauce pan.
Add to cream cheese about 4oz/1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
And 1 to 1 1/2 cups half & half or heavy whipping cream.
Vary your liquid based on how thick or thin you want the sauce.
Black pepper to taste.

Once this is hot, you can add several items to change it up. Cooked chicken, fresh spinach, cooked bacon, pine nuts, and you can use a variety of pasta noodles to change up textures.
Posted by LJ (+109) 11 years ago
You might try going to cooks.com or recipes.com. You can enter what sounds good and then decide if you can get the ingredients or something comparable. I use cooks.com all the time. We'll have something good in a restaurant and I'll come home and look for what I think I just ate and usually end up with a pretty good recipe.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
One lemon
One or two chicken breasts (depending on size) - boneless and skinless
Olive Oil
1-2 gloves garlic
angel hair/spaghetti/linquine/fettucine/whatver pasta you have
parmesan reggianio

Preparation:

Salt and pepper the chicken breast. Coat them in flour. Then, beat them with a meat mallet until they are flat. Give them another dip of flour.

Grate the zest off the lemon. Cut it in half and juice it. Put the juice and zest into a cup.

Mince the garlic cloves in advance, or just squeeze them through a press when you are ready to use them.

Grate a half ounce or so of parmesan reggianio (do not use the crap that comes in a green cylinder).

Start the pasta water to boil. Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet until just about ready to smoke (medium-medium high).

Cooking:

Cook the pasta according to directions, knowing that the chicken and sauce will be done in about 15-18 minutes, and time the pasta to be done when it is

Cook the chicken breats about 5 minutes on each side until brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a plate - cover the plate with foil to keep warm. Turn the skillet down to medium low.

Add the garlic to skillet, and cook for one minute. Then add the lemon juice mixture. When that starts to bubble, pour in whatever juices accumulated on the chicken place into the sauce.

Drain the pasta, and plate. Add the chicken breast on top, and spoon over the sauce, then top with parmesan.

Optional ingredients:

You can cook sliced mushrooms after the chicken is done and before you add the garlic. After the garlic, you can deglaze the pan with a little white wine, and let that cook and reduce in half before adding the lemon. At the end when you are ready to serve, you can add a tablespoon of chopped flat leaf parsley.
supporter
This recipe is for salmon but you could probably use chicken breasts also.
12-16 ounces of linguine
salmon fillet to fit your pan, skin may be left on
1/3 c olive oil
1/3 c soy sauce
1/3 c mirin (Japanese rice wine NOT VINEGAR)
1 Tb ginger, minced
1 Tb garlic, minced
2-3 green onions, chopped

Heat oil in skillet over medium. Put in salmon, skin side down. Sprinkle with garlic and ginger and onions. Just before turning salmon, pour soy and mirin over fish. Turn fish and cook until done. Remove fillet from pan and remove skin. Break fish into chunks. Turn down heat to med low and continue cooking sauce until it become thicker.

Cook pasta according to directions.

When pasta and salmon are done, mix them together with the sauce.
Posted by ron h (+51) 11 years ago
DUH you got a computer ! ask jeeves dot com ! get real
supporter
Lacey: You say you're not a big fan of fish...what about shrimp? I have a scampi recipe here that chicken or veal could work with, as well:

1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined (or one breast of chicken, or a half-pound of veal)
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
1 shallot, minced (or a couple TBSP of onion if shallots aren't available)
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 cup butter, sliced-up
1 TBSP chopped parsley
cooked pasta or rice
Directions:

First, get your rice or pasta going so it's ready when this stuff is done.

1. Mix the shrimp (or chicken or veal) with the olive oil and garlic. You can let it marinate for a few hours, but it's okay if you don't.
2. In a large skillet, saute the protein of choice with the oil and garlic over medium heat for just a minute until seared on both sides.
3. Add the wine, minced shallot and lemon juice. Cook for several minutes, stirring the protein so it cooks evenly, until the wine reduces by about half.
4. Crank the heat up to high, add the butter and stir just until it melts. Add the parsley and serve immediately over cooked rice or pasta.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes.
supporter
Be nice, ron h, or we'll make fun of your poor writing skills. She's just looking for some recipes. Why be so mean? At least she uses punctuation.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1670) 11 years ago
That's right. Lighten up ron h. Isn't the purpose of a community board to share information? Geesh, what are we supposed to talk about if we can't discuss recipes? Politics, religion and football can only go so far.
supporter
I admit this idea is derived from bits-and-pieces of the recipes already submitted on this thread; but you could make a sort-of "poor man's hash" from potatoes, and whatever meats and veges you can get there. A rough version of the recipe goes like this:

- boil a couple potatoes about 15 minutes or so until they start to soften, then let them cool a bit and cut them into about 1/2-inch dice. It's okay to leave the skin on them.

- in a large skillet, heat-up some butter, or olive oil, or a little of both. saute' pieces or strips of whatever meat, poultry or fish you can get until it is browned or cooked almost all the way through. If you like, you can also add minced garlic or onion at this point.

- then in the same skillet, dump-in a few ounces of some broth or cooking wine that is appropriate to whatever protein you are using (chicken broth with chicken, white wine goes well if you're using fish, etc.), and also add the vegetables you have as well as the cubed potatoes. Give it a stir or two.

- heat until the liquid boils and reduces by about half, throw-in a couple dashes of salt and pepper, and there you go.

Most people in parts like those refer to dishes like this as "peasant food", but some such dishes really are among the best I've eaten.
Thanks everyone for the recipes!!!