Coldest Temp ever recorded in MC?
Posted by Marcus S (+22) 12 years ago
Anybody have an answer to this piece of trivia?

-70 °F on January 20, 1954 at Rogers Pass, Montana. NW of Helena.

Still want to know lowest for Miles City.

[This message has been edited by Marcus S (2/4/2010)]
Posted by DHinPH (+101) 12 years ago
Just checked with NWS and the coldest on record at the Miles City Airport was, Coldest Low Temperature: -38° - December 24, 1983. Record data from 1937 to present.

[This message has been edited by DHinPH (2/4/2010)]
Posted by trey (+47) 12 years ago
As a side note... the Rogers Pass temp. was taken between 12:00-1:00 that morning AND the thermometer only went to -70 so it was likely colder than that.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12379) 12 years ago
-66°F on January 13, 1888, if memory serves. If not, I'll correct it tomorrow. This was probably recorded at Fort Keogh, not Miles City itself.
Posted by Marcus S (+22) 12 years ago
The Rodgers Pass temp is not only the lowest recorded in Montana but the entire lower 48.
/Bragging rights
Posted by trey (+47) 12 years ago
That's true too... not to change the thread but along with bragging rights. Flathead Lake is the largest freash water lake west of the Mississippi. Go Montana
Posted by DHinPH (+101) 12 years ago
Here is another Montana record.. Guinness World Records states that the largest snowflake ever measured was 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick, observed January 28, 1887 at Fort Keogh, Montana.
Posted by Bill Bloom (-311) 12 years ago
I remember one mornining ,in the early 80`s, when leaving MC for Colstrip, the bank thermometer read minus 43. It was during a long stretch of very cold weather, and may indeed have been 1983.
Posted by polar bear (+511) 12 years ago
Amorette? You remember 1888? LOL!
Posted by Toni Campbell Tivy (+145) 12 years ago
In 1981 at about 8 PM I remember the thermometer at our house registered -52 degrees (we lived over by the Highland Park School). I know that is not an "official" temperature, but Brrr!
Posted by Todd Riddle (+81) 12 years ago
I remember in 1919 I had just gotten up to boil a pot for my tea and as I was stoking the fire the window in the entry way cracked and as I opened the door my mercury thermometer stopped its decent at -45 degree's, to me that is cold.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 12 years ago
1919!?!?! Wow, Mr. Riddle. You must be over 100 years old!
closer to 91 actually
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+598) 12 years ago
Wendy is better at grammar, than mathematics.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+18228) 12 years ago
Wendy is better at grammar, than mathematics.

Presumably Wendy was figuring that "Todd Riddle" wasn't a newborn when he boiled the pot and stoked the fire in 1919.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 12 years ago
I think we broke the record yesterday. At least when I was leaving town last night the thermometer on the sign at Cenex said -196 .
David you are correct and I am a moron, lol I'll shut up and crawl back under my rock. Ignore me everyone im only 32! tata for now!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 12 years ago
???????????????
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+251) 12 years ago
I remember the winter of 1968 traveling by train across the country from Cleveland, Ohio, where my boyfriend Jerry and I spent Christmas with our parents celebrating our engagement, to Bozeman, MT., where we were MSU students. We spent a miserable day in Chicago while I tried to sleep in a theater and then on the terminal benches with the Hong Kong or Asian flu awaiting our railroad transfer to Montana. As we went across North Dakota the train's engine froze up and we were stuck for an additional 24 hours without heat out in the hinterland. We eventually arrived in Bozeman and as I recall it was 10-14 days before the temperature got above 30 degrees below zero. (I don't think I have the year wrong -- it could have been 1967. But since I am no longer married to Jerry, don't care!).

It was one of those memorable experiences...and we still had school when we got back. Extreme cold does not stop school in Montana.
Posted by Wil Nelson (+71) 12 years ago
As I recall is was -33 sometime during the winter of 57-58 but with no wind.
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+481) 12 years ago
If it is bragging rights you want:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/t...topweather