Trenka (teacher)
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+190) 10 years ago
I've been trying to remember the name of a teacher and I think I just came across his name. Was Mr. Trenka ever a H.S. teacher? He lived just east of the H.S. on Lake St.? What I'm really trying to remember is the name of a girl that lived with his family for a year about 1975 or so. Also, I'd like to add him to my website about MC educators.
Posted by Cassie (Opp-Kercheval) Walton (+43) 10 years ago
wasn't he a math teacher?? I thought he taught at Washington middle school. I remember him being VERY short.
supporter
Posted by Joe Yates (+598) 10 years ago
I'll tell him what you are wanting...he has been a next door neighbor for 7+ years just off S Winchester.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+507) 10 years ago
Mr. Trenka was a great teacher. I can honestly say I don't think I had a bad teacher in MC during my education there. Sure, there were some personalities that I didn't get along with, but as educators for the masses, they did a fine job. Some were better than others. Mr. Trenka was a good one.
supporter
Posted by Mike Wallick (+165) 10 years ago
Plus, he coached football. As the 5th string back-up starting substitute quarterback who only goes in when the game is well in (or out) of hand, I remember him well. Great coach!

I specifically remember one night in Wolf Point when the temp was below zero and I was peacefully minding my own business riding the bench with my sparkling white clean uniform and frozen hands. Suddenly I noticed him begin to scan the ranks of benched players looking for those few who had not as yet braved the elements and entered the fray. I tried gainfully to avoid his gaze but ACK...he spotted me!

"Wallick!" He called. "Have you played yet?"

"Yes!" I quickly answered forcefully, blowing on my frozen hands in fearful anticipation of the hard snap which would be delivered to me by back-up center Les Zuelke.

"You have??" He continued with a look of disbelief in his narrowing eye.

"Yes!" I answered and mouthed "Now move on" under my agonized cold breath.

...aahhhh what a game. What great memories.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14412) 10 years ago
I'll surely get in trouble for posting this. Best Jim Trenka line I ever heard in his junior high math class:

"You know people, I can make it stiff if you want to play around."

founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9842) 10 years ago
Poor Mr. Trenka. I remember him desperately trying to teach Terry Bastian and I how to do some mathematical thing or another and we just did not get it. He was very patient with us and I think we eventually got there.

That was in eighth grade when students were tracked in classes by ability. I was stuck in the advanced math because I was in the advanced everything else but I should have been down with the grade schoolers and their colored blocks.