Notable places where Miles City is mentioned.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+510) 12 years ago
I was reading in a different thread about Miles City being mentioned in Lonesome Dove and a few other movies. It got me to thinking, where else interesting have I heard of Miles City popping up? Wasn't one of the children in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory from MC?

Also, in Fate is the Hunter, a novel about early airline history, he mentions some friends that were killed in an accident around MC.

Where else notable have you heard of MC? Books, movies, TV shows, list them all.
supporter
Posted by john newcomer (+293) 12 years ago
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance comes to mind-he made a stop at the old Bill's Marine and Cycle store.
Posted by Bill Bloom (-323) 12 years ago
Yes, In Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory , I think there was a young girl that chewed bubble gum, all the time, and her dad was like a car salesman from MC.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+512) 12 years ago
Almost all of Larry McMurtry's books mention Miles City in them. Does anyone know if he has ever spent much time in town?
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+890) 12 years ago
Ahhh...Yes! Violet Beauregard from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... she did indeed chew bubble gum all the time.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3703) 12 years ago
I mentioned Miles City on the North Shore, Oahu, just yesterday. Oh! and BTW we had dinner last night at "Mexico Lindo" in Kialua, Oahu. It made me miss the food at Mexico Lindo in Miles City

[This message has been edited by Tucker Bolton (1/24/2010)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11965) 12 years ago
Tucker, I have bandages all over me from surgery, my throat still hurts from the stupid tube, the wind is blowing and the snow is snowing. I am going to KILL you when you get back. If I see one #[email protected]#% vacation picture, WHAM! You are DAID!!!!!

The Gene Wilder Willie Wonka. Not the weird pedophile Johnny Depp version.

Oh, and I have an Alice Monroe short story called "Miles City, MT" at my office in which she describes the swimming lake. Obviously, she has been here.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (1/24/2010)]
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+315) 12 years ago
I think I remember that Faulkner mentions Miles City in 'Travels with Charlie'.
Ken Z
Posted by Bonnie12 (+9) 12 years ago
There is now a new Zen book, "Zen and Now The art of simple motorcycle maintenance" written by Mark Richardson. Mark spent a long afternoon with Bill Bergerson, and his writing is a lot easier to read than the first book was.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10040) 12 years ago
I can't say how notable they all are - but quite a few items turn up here:
http://books.google.com/b...=&as_issn=

A narrower view:
http://books.google.com/b...=&as_issn=
Posted by skyler paul casillas (+38) 12 years ago
wasnt insane clown posse in town before and what happend i know in a couple songs they talk about miles city infected with inbreds
Posted by Ben (+111) 12 years ago
Somewhere on my bookshelf is a paperback novel with the title "The Law in Miles City". It's a typical western style novel about the lawlessness of early Miles City and the good guy who cleans it all up. I can't remember the authors name, but he had apparently been to Miles City or at least looked at a map of the town as he was pretty accurate in his descriptions.
Ben
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 12 years ago
"Hanging Woman Creek" by Louis L'Amour takes place in the Miles City area.

And don't forget the epic motion picture "Danger Lights".
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+591) 12 years ago
The UY ranch Reminiscnces of a Montana Stockmans Wife. Helen Addison Howard. Is mainly MilesCity and Sunday Creek. About my Grandfather brothers ranch on Sunday creek.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+256) 12 years ago
There is also apparently a connection with the mother of the child left mother-less because of cancer from the movie made famous by John Denver -- Sunshine on my Shoulder.

Anyone who visits the garden island in Hawaii, Kanau (is that how you spell it), should look up my brother John Mahoney, who is involved with management of a resort there. He graduated CCHS in 1965. The island is where Jurrasic Park was filmed (in fact during a hurricane at one point).
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3703) 12 years ago
Yesterday, the pool guy came by to backwash and tidy up. He asked "where are you folks from?" I said "Miles City, Montana."
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+591) 12 years ago
Of Hawaii. My Grandfather's, Sister's grandson Dr. Billy Bergin Was the chief veterinarian For the Parker Ranch for twenty five years he is now retired and writing books, and is the head of the paniola association. (Paniola Hawaiian cowboys) He is now writing a book on family history and is going to include the Montana part, so Miles City will be in the new book, I am giving him what history I have.

http://parkerranch.com/Me...lly-bergin
Posted by bh (+200) 12 years ago
In the U.S. and Canadian version ofthe book a 1000 places to see before you die; the Miles City Buckinghorse sale is given a nice write up.
Posted by skyler paul casillas (+38) 12 years ago
my friends dad said john wayne stayed in miles city
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+193) 12 years ago
George Winston (notable pianist) has a composition "Miles City Train" which is quite good, IMHO.
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+193) 8 years ago
"Hanging Woman Creek" by Louis L'Amour sucked up about 4 hrs of my life recently (hrs that I should have been sleeping. He did a lot of research and got most of the details right. He worked in Charley Brown, Granville Stuart and many others. This was the only one of his books that I've read so far, but may have to try some more in the future.

I don't know if this site is kosher or not, but you can read it here:
http://vatchy.host56.com/...2X_toc.htm

[This message has been edited by Jim Birkholz (1/12/2014)]
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+792) 8 years ago
Don't forget Emily Danforth's book. (Senior moment: I forgot the title)
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+766) 8 years ago
John Wayne was here. When I wad in 3rd grade the class went to the museum and my mom drove some of us. I came running around the counter and run into an old man. That was John Wayne. My mother, another mother and currator were talking to him. I got into trouble for that.