Posted by LisaP (+33) 11 years ago
My hp all in one printer is having a hardware malfunction. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good replacement?

Thanks, Lisa
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14506) 11 years ago
I have had numerous issues over the years with HP printers. (at least a two beer story).

The last two printers I bought were both Canon's. I have a Cannon MX700 at my office, which is a printer,scanner, fax, and copier all in one. I have had it for about 1.5 years and have had no issues with it at all. I have a Canon MP460 at home that has worked very well also. I would highly recommend them over anything HP makes.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10992) 11 years ago
We have a Canon specifically purchased for the quality of its color prints so Steve can print out nice pictures. The first one out of the box was broken but we exchanged it with no problem. It has worked for several years flawlessly.
supporter
Posted by T Brown (+479) 11 years ago
I love my Canon Printer. The photo prints are excellent and the ink cartridges are'nt too expensive. It's an ip 2600.
Posted by urijah (+136) 11 years ago
go with a brother its basically one of the best you can get.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8740) 11 years ago
I've got a Brother multi-function. Beyond the fact that I've paid more for ink in the last year (by a factor of 2x) than I originally bought the printer for, it's ok.
Posted by Sharon Clarke (+76) 11 years ago
I was given a Canon color photo printer several years ago by my brother and will cry the day it finally dies. The pictures turn out beautiful and it prints documents really nice too.

Only drawback is that it takes 6 separate ink cartridges which run about $11 a piece. Thankfully I don't have to replace them very often.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 11 years ago
My personal favorite is the new Kodak Printers. Print normal stuff perfectly, and photocenter quality pictures are a bonus.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3713) 11 years ago
I have an HP all in one and am not overly fond of it. It prints nicely and the ink lasts a long time but it sucks at handling paper. I have to stand there and push and shove and adjust just to get the paper to feed on everything I print.

No recommendations on brands but if you have multiple computers and a wireless router getting a wifi enabled printer is the way to go.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
What do you do with your printer, Lisa?

Mostly photos, black and white documents, scan and print, computer printing, all of the above - some more than others?
Posted by Joel Biggers (+34) 11 years ago
Does anybody know where a person can recycle or throw away old computer screens, towers, printers, etc?

As far as printers go, I have a new Kodak and I am not overly impressed. They advertise cheaper cartridges but they do not last long at all.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+1952) 11 years ago
I have just had an adventure with my HP all in one. Last night I tried to print and the message came up "ink malfunction" or something like that. So I went online and followed all the instructions to try and fix it including changing ink cartridges. That took a good hour at least. When it still did not work, I made my big mistake and called the HP service center. Besides a bad phone connection the female worker spoke broken english. We went through all the same instructions that I had gone through before at least twice. Then she told me the HP would send me a new printer. I said ok. Then she told me I needed to return the old one and that she needed a credit card to make sure I sent the old one back. I gave her the information and she insisted that I live in Valley City, ND when I live in Minot, ND. We went around and around on that and it turned out she got the zip codes turned around or something. So she sent me an email saying that the new one would be coming and then her supervisor came on and asked my things went. I felt sorry for the woman so I said she did alright and that it was the phone connection that caused the problem. Actually beside the language problem she was messed up. So by that time it was 10:30 PM and I had been on the phone with her for 1 1/2 hours. I thought all is good I will have a new HP in a week and hooked up my backup printer. Then about 11:45 pm my phone rings. Usually when I get a call that late it is a drunk old girlfriend or there is an illness or death in the family. Well it was neither. It was the female from HP. She said that I had to try and get the printer to work again. I told her it was taken down and sitting on the kitchen table and she said I needed to hook it up. I told her no that it was 11:45 and was going to bed and she really got upset with me and hung up. When I got home from work today at 5:30 there was a call on my answering machine from her and I could not understand a word she was saying. So I called HP back again and got a rather nice fella who also spoke broken english but he was understandable. I asked him if they were still sending the new HP. He put me on hold for 10 minutes and then came on and told me a manager would call me tomorrow between 8-5 to discuss this matter. I got rather pissy with him and he finally talked to a manager and said they would send me the new HP. So we will see if I get the new HP or if I get any more calls from the female worker. That is my adventure with HP. If I hadn't bought several ink cartridges I would told them to forget it and thrown the HP in the snowbank. That is my story.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+15993) 11 years ago
Does anybody know where a person can recycle or throw away old computer screens, towers, printers, etc?

Call Bert Elwood of Miles City Personal Computing....he can recycle anything of electronic value!
Posted by Bob Wildrick (+66) 11 years ago
Sounds like everyone else has had some of the same problems with HP I went through three of them since getting my first computer about 15 years ago. The most recent one lasted maybe five years and it was an all in one model. I replaced it with a Lexmark elcheapo all in one and it is far better than any one of the HPs. Lexmark if your not aware is the old IBM Selectric factory that IBM spun off.

As for ink cartridges I buy the recycled kind from ldproducts.com Most of the time they have 10% off and if you spend over $50.00, which is not hard, free shipping
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 11 years ago
I have an HP All-in-One also and it worked great for a few months. Then when I printed out Word documents there were skipped lines and lines where only the bottom half of the characters printed. I went through the online troubleshooting tutorial and also deleted my driver and reinstalled it as a last resort. It seemed to work ok for awhile but is doing the same thing again. The only thing I can do to fix it is to print everything in Best mode. Anyone have any ideas?
Posted by LisaP (+33) 11 years ago
I still haven't gotten a new printer. This one has decided it would work once in a while. I do mostly black and white printing, some photos and documents. Have to fax every once in a while too. This one just keeps trying to start up and since it is so screwed up anyway I just leave it on and eventually it turns on. I found a web site that helped some, its fixyourownprinter.com. It definitely helped more than the HP woman did. But I still plan on getting a new one, thanks for the ideas. Actually we are going to get two, a cheap one for our daughters room(back-up really, but she doesn't need to know that) and one good one for the office.

Lisa
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+587) 11 years ago
For the workhorse printing 10-30 reams a month, I use a dirt cheap under $200 HP 6980xi. It prints tables in WordPerfect without slowing down to "think". They last me about 2 yrs because I wear out the paperfeed printing report covers. It & it's relatives replaced a $2,300 Canon that had to think. It also travels with me so it gets knocked around.
We have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 all in one for clients that still use faxes & have had no problems from a couple of Canon Pixma MP240 all in ones hooked to the kids' computers. They also have 2 or 3 HP photo printers that have been trouble-free.
The only problem printer is a little travel Canon that has to have a cleaner sheet run through it once a month or it doesn't feed right.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+1952) 11 years ago
Supposedly HP is sending me a replacement machine. I have had email conversations with them over the last two days and I hope they send it. One of the problems is that they give you to supervisor and then he wants to go through everything again and again and when he can't solve it he moves you onto his supervisor and he wants to try everthing over and over. I have gone through the online fix its with them at least 7 times. If I didn't have over $100 worth the ink unused I would throw it in one of the huge snow banks outside my house. I may end doing it anyway. I looked at Canons and friends are telling me that the Kodak printers are good. Also looking online at Dell. I have an older dell hooked up now. But I need a All-In-One for fax and two sided copying.
Well I guess time will tell.