The Worst Airline Company in the World
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 11 years ago
This is a pretty good read. I thought some of the folks here are probably having the usual hassles getting home for Christmas. It could be worse..

After spending several weeks each in Iraq and Lebanon at the end of 2008, I bought a plane ticket to the U.S. from Beirut on December 22 and figured I had plenty of time to get home for Christmas. I had no idea, though, that I had purchased my ticket from the worst airline company in the world - Italy's national carrier Alitalia - and that a two-hour layover in Rome would turn into an ordeal that lasted longer than a week.

I placed my most critical and expensive items in my carry-on bag so they wouldn't get damaged or lost. Yet the woman at the Alitalia check-in counter in Beirut's international airport said my bag was too large and would have to be checked. I wasn't happy about that, but I did as I was told and surrendered my luggage. She neglected to tell me that Alitalia's baggage handlers were on strike and that it would be a very long time before I would see my property again - if I ever would see it again.

My flight left Beirut on time, and I had no idea what I was in for in Italy.

http://www.michaeltotten....-airli.php
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3665) 11 years ago
Passenger; Yes, I would like a ticket to Denver and I would like my bags sent to Houston.

Delta agent; I'm sorry sir, we can't do that.

Passenger; Why not, you did it the last time I Flew Delta.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16811) 11 years ago
I just got off the phone with my good buddy Dave the Monk.

He lives in Washington D.C., and had booked a flight to Helena on Saturday December 19.

Of course that was the day the big blizzard hit...the airline called him and told him his flight was cancelled. They re-booked him for Tuesday.

He gets on board at Reagan airport...and spends 2.5 hours on the runway. His flight arrives in Denver, so he sprints to his connecting flight to Helena....only to be told that the gate closed 5 minutes ago, even though he could see the plane sitting at the gate.

At the kiosk, he's told that the next available flight to Helena is not until Christmas Eve. He asks for any flight to Montana, and got booked on a flight to Billings. This flight was delayed because of fog. He got to Billings, then rented a car to drive to Helena - 240 miles. Got to town late last night...two days of traveling.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11533) 11 years ago
These midwinter festivals were started by people who never went anywhere. They just sat around and celebrated with their fellow villagers.

Some of them were smart and moved to the southern hemisphere. I envy them.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16636) 11 years ago
I learned long ago to never attempt flying to Montana around Christmas time. It took a little longer but I eventually figured out to never attempt driving to Montana around Christmas time either.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 11 years ago
I told somebody last weekend that one of the best things about living in Montana was not having to go through the Denver airport at Christmas. I got shut down there 2 of the last three years. Last year my flight was canceled after I got to Denver and got to spend the night there. Two years earlier was the year of the big snow storm and basically all flights into and out of Denver were canceled for several days. Finally wound up booking a flight to Spokane via Southwest and driving a rental car all the way to Billings and then riding out with my brother.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 11 years ago
My brother got stuck in D.C. also. He had just arranged with an airport shuttle driver to take him to a hotel. There were no other shuttles, airport or otherwise. He and a few other guys had just made the arrangements when the airport announced all flights were cancelled and the airport was closing. He said the scariest ride he'd ever had was the drive to the hotel - he's spent several tours of duty in the Middle East! He gave the driver, a very large Nigerian, all the money he had in his wallet and apologized that it wasn't much more. It sounded horrible.