Movie Gallery?
Posted by Patricia (+71) 12 years ago
What is happening to the Movie Gallery store? Empty shelves, no lights ... Another "victim" of Netflix?
Posted by Kimberly D. Reiger (+69) 12 years ago
I was there last night and the workers were packing stuff up. They were selling the movies that were non-rentals. I asked what was going on and they said they didn't know yet what was going to happen. I bought a movie and left. I should have bought a couple more..the prices were really low.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2303) 12 years ago
The last I heard was the owner didn't pay rent, and is being evicted.
Posted by Patty O. (+218) 12 years ago
No not a victim of Netflix or Redbox. I heard it had to do with the corporate office not paying rent. As well as lack of communication with the landlords.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17910) 12 years ago
I think corporate-wide Movie Gallery/Hollywood Video is suffering badly. As is Blockbuster.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6118) 12 years ago
I heard it had to do with the corporate office not paying rent.

And why, exactly, was the corporate office unable to pay rent?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 12 years ago
Between Netflix, Redbox, On Demand Pay-per-view from the cable company, and streaming over the internet, the brick and mortar video rental store is about to become a thing of the past.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2303) 12 years ago
It is Levi. I haven't rented a movie from Movie Gallery in 4 years. I've just used the online streaming of rental movies. Plus, now that you can rent them in HD, why would you rent the same thing from the store in non HD for more?
Posted by Bruce Helland (+596) 12 years ago
Again we are the cause of our own demise...
supporter
Posted by Julie (+418) 12 years ago
Well said Bruce!
Posted by Mindy B (+79) 12 years ago
I disagree; this can't be blamed on us this time. The last time I rented a movie they were $4/each...way too expensive especially considering how much tech stuff has changed. They are trying to rent you old technology at a high price; of course they are closing but not just in MC, all over the country. I believe NPR had a piece on about Netflix and the worries they won't be able to survive if they can't get more titles for instant downloads ( I guess HBO, SHO and MAX have contract with the studios for first release). You need to change with the times to survive.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1436) 12 years ago
Mindy, a lot of the major rental houses here have shrunk their video sections, too.

Hollywood Video, Blockbuster, Family Video, Movie Gallery. It's bizarre - the stores are, in many cases, subdivided with a temporary wall that looks out of place or a big curtain to portion the store out to half the size it was. The exterior is still what it is (although I notice burned out signs and lighting are being left un-replaced). It's weird, though, to see the exterior done up as a video place but to look through the glass and see a cellular kiosk corner, computer repair, or whatever. Haven't seen mismatched things like that since MC.

Or, some of them have the other half of the store turned into video game rentals, which seems to make good use of existing shelving, storage slots, etc. DVD and CD game rentals are taking over and the movie rentals are dwindling.

I'm with you - why pay $4 to get a scratched DVD you had to stand in line for (behind the teenage boys renting 48 game titles a piece) that is due back by 5pm in three days when you could just stream from Netflix, grab a RedBox title at the grocery store or McDonalds, for a lot less? When I do get a DVD from Netflix (I mostly stream) at least nobody cares when it's returned.

I think Netflix, however, will survive. Studios are going to hold out as long as possible but eventually I think they'll begrudgingly cave in to the new model. At least I'll hold out hope.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 12 years ago
I think the studios are probably worried (with good reason) that if a service like Netflix gives people access to their entire movie library on demand with good picture quality for a nominal monthly fee, no one will buy DVDs anymore. After all, why would you pay $20 for a bluray movie when you can just stream the exact same movie off of Netflix for free anytime you want? And every other movie imaginable as well? And heck, why bother even going to the movies when you can buy a huge flat screen tv with a beautiful picture for a couple thousand dollars and watch the movie on that in the comfort of your own living room, again for free (aside from the small monthly fee from Netflix). To take it one step further, why even watch TV? A very large percentage of regular TV shows are also available on Netflix, to be watched at your convenience and without commercials.

Right now the streaming has a few issues, lower picture quality and bandwidth limits etc, but the networks are improving every year and it won't be long before I think a lot of people could be happy with Netflix as their only source of entertainment, which doesn't make the movie/tv studios much money.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2784) 12 years ago
I think the studios are probably worried (with good reason) that if a service like Netflix gives people access to their entire movie library on demand with good picture quality for a nominal monthly fee, no one will buy DVDs anymore.

Ahhh, there's the rub. Netflix doesn't have its complete video library available to stream. Only a few hundred titles are available at any one time.
Posted by Jodi Wootan (+121) 12 years ago
we didn't rent a lot of movies but we did rent the games. my son will be disappointed if they close.
supporter
Only a few hundred titles are available at any one time.

The last feed I got had something along the line of 11,000+ titles.

Tracking, as of a few minutes ago, is showing 15,159 titles.

I suppose it'd debatable for individuals who might only find a few hundred titles they LIKE, but I'm currently enjoying more in my queue than I have time to watch.

[This message has been edited by Dan Mowry (12/19/2009)]
Posted by jassar (+30) 12 years ago
with Netflix, i like the fact that one can rent old movies and sitcoms or series(monty python for example) that i never had time to sit down and watch when they were in a time slot. i have also been able to rent the new releases when they come out ( if one plays the selections and returns right). its nice to just be able to get them delivered and pop them back in the mail at ones convenience.

i have used redbox on occasion. unfortunately sometimes the machines don't always work and that's frustrating.

I frequent the movie gallery here in Helena if i am looking for specific movies that i wish to purchase. I agree that they have gotten expensive.

Wish i had the capacity to stream. don't have much luck with that. Sorry to hear that Miles City may lose another business. But you are gaining Arbys!!!!
Posted by Cynthia A. (+195) 12 years ago
imho, the store was poorly run, and the corporations was "confused"...we had the rental program, and it was constantly changed...we were supposed to be charged monthly becaause we used a credit card, and we were charged for 3 months...which they refused to put back on the card when we cancelled because they had changed the program once again...we can't blame every failure on some other business...
I don't think the store itself was poorly run...as they had to follow the corporations ever change policies. If the corporation would just stick to one plan and go with it things wouldn't be so confusing to the employees, and the customers.
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+165) 12 years ago
It's similar to the Wal-Mart syndrome. The Wal-Mart here in Bozeman spends tons of money moving stuff around the store. I believe the theory is that if I have to spend time looking for something I need, I may stumble across something I want. I can see a few changes shortly after a new store opens, trying to be more efficient and all, but this constant game of hide and seek gets really old really fast. I do understand small local stores needing to diversify to survive, but I also see small local business losing their identity. Do what you do, and do it well, and you will survive. The idea of a hair salon, video store, pro shop and divorce court in a single store just doesn't work for me.
Posted by stef428 (+243) 12 years ago
Glendive's Video Hot Spot added tanning beds due to redbox killing their business. It's actually a nice addition. The video store is open 7 days a week with longer hours than any tanning places in Glendive. They sell the tanning by the minute also instead of sessions which i like. Why pay the same for a 5 minute session and a 12 minute session. Their minutes are cheap and the beds are nice!
Posted by Mindy B (+79) 12 years ago
Levi: I agree with you that Netflix will have to come up with something to please the studios. Your right that as streaming videos gets better in quality that you could justify getting a big TV and watching for home. I only go to the theater now to see action movies on the big screen but with screens getting smaller even that is losing its appeal.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 12 years ago
The Movie Gallery in Helena is also closing/closed.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+894) 12 years ago
I think one of the problems also with movie rental stores closing is that they can't get all of the new releases...
About a year ago, before Miles City had Redbox I went to Movie Gallery, on the day a new movie was to be released... I was sooo excited, even checked to make sure I could rent it on said day. When I went into Movie Gallery, they didn't have the movie... I was sure that this was they day it was to be released... So I asked the manager. He said that they were not able to get all of the new releases because of some corporate bull in the movie world. In fact, they had to go over to Wal-Mart and buy copies of some titles when they were available so they could have them for rent. Apparently Corporate RedBox, NetFlix, etc. had bought the rental rights to certain movies and not everyone could get them for rental.

Who woulda thought the day would come when you couldn't even go to a movie rental store and rent a dang movie?????

I actually enjoy using RedBox...you can reserve them online and go pick them up at whatever box you choose, and if you're a day or so later to return them...it's only $1/day charge...not $6 like at a Movie Gallery. And they have ALL of the new releases. Same with NetFlix.
I drove by last night and seen they had the lights on and people were inside. Does anyone know if they are reopening, or just packing things up? If they do reopen how many of you plan on being customers again?
founder
Wikipedia reports Movie Gallery/Hollywood Video is behind on rent at a number of locations nationwide. They have announced plans to close an additional 450 stores. Their stock has dropped from $1.20/sh to $.05/sh between October '09 thru Dec. 5, '09. They are in trouble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ie_Gallery

Blockbuster has exclusive rights to Weinstein Company films,
so, spacekace, it is possible the movie you wanted to rent was a Weinstein movie.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17954) 12 years ago
Dave, thanks for providing us this information. But please, for the love of Pete, answer your brother's scurilous charges that you frequent tanning salons like George Hamilton in the incredibly lame thread he started about taxing salons.
supporter
for the love of Pete, answer your brother's scurilous charges that you frequent tanning salons like George Hamilton...

I think the photo Dave is sending out for holiday cards this year says it all.

Posted by Lisa (+26) 12 years ago
Movie Gallery in Helena is empty as well.
Posted by dudemeister (+95) 12 years ago
it looked open tonight when i drove by or was i seeing things?
Posted by Stan Wheeler (+1195) 12 years ago
It is open normal hours. We rented several movies there Saturday night. Even got a free one!

Liz
Posted by Todd Riddle (+89) 12 years ago
So is Movie Gallery gaining any momentum here in MC or what? Any new input?

~ME
I don't think Movie Gallery is gaining any momentum or anything else for that matter. I hear they hung a huge closing sign. Does anyone know what date they plan on shutting down? Or are they moving to a new location?
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+594) 12 years ago
In yesterdays Oregonian.

Movie Gallery: The video rental chain filed its second Chapter 11 bankruptcy since 2007 on Wednesday, and said it will close 760 stores.
supporter
Posted by C. Wilkes (+138) 12 years ago
So whats going to happen to all of those people who purchased the years free rental packages that movie gallery had on sale here while back???
founder
So whats going to happen to all of those people who purchased the years free rental packages that movie gallery had on sale here while back???

Get in line with the rest of the company's creditors... and you're probably going to be way back near the end of the line.

If you bought the offer using a major credit card, contact the bank that issued your credit card RIGHT NOW and place the charge in dispute. Most banks give you 60 days to dispute a charge. After that, good luck.

Pay in advance offers, gift cards, etc. from retail stores are risky deals. Personally I recommend against buying gift cards, if you receive a gift card use it as soon as possible, and if you buy a pay-in-advance offer do so with the knowledge that the company could go out of business and you'll be out your money.
Posted by Zack Carey (+66) 12 years ago
what is a good site for renting videos? i mean a GOOD site. not one of those that trys to get u to join 1,495,446,765,456 cajillion other sites before it'll let u watch it.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+894) 12 years ago
uhhhh.... Redbox????
Posted by Todd Riddle (+89) 12 years ago
Get in while the getn is good, the movies are outrageously discounted and are being sold for as little as 2.49 a piece. Movie gallery is even selling all of the fixtures so you can proudly display all of your already purchased movies or disks on actual movie shelves, pretty cheap too so hurry!!!!! ~smile~ fyi the store is closing VERY V E R Y soon!
founder
I see the Hollywood Video here in Redmond is closing too. Hollywood Video is owned by the same company that owns Movie Gallery. I should go take some pictures of Blockbuster Video for posterity's sake before they close too. Goodbye brick and mortar video rental stores.