Bird Brain-ed
Posted by RS/SS (+39) 11 years ago
Have been noticing a small hawk lurking around my yard where I feed smaller birds. He is about pigeon size. Moves pretty fast so I wasnt sure until a few minutes ago. I just heard a very hard thump on my West picture window. Looked in the snow under the window and there the little terror was. He was alive but splayed out looking pretty bewildered. I'm not real thrilled about his predation but he looked pretty pathetic laying there. Figured he ,at least, must have broken a wing so got the phone book to call Jean Lindley's office for advice. Before I could even find the number he took off and landed atop of a nearby Evergreen. I am guessing the tree was his launch point of attack. The tree is about 50-60 feet from the window so he probably had a pretty good head of steamm up when he quit flying all of a sudden !! Anyone else see this type of bird around? ------ Just looked out again and a Pheasant is foraging where the hawk was a few minutes ago.
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 11 years ago
One day I was walking near my house on S. Lake and noticed a rain of feathers coming down around me. I looked up and a small hawk like you described was up in the tree I was standing next to, eating his lunch. I too have a feeder but I look at it this way, it's just another breed of bird my feeder is drawing in.
Posted by Jennifer Nagy (+59) 11 years ago
Likely suspects for your little predatory creature are:
sharp-shinned hawk
merlin (small falcon, similar to a kestrel)
coopers hawk (less likely of the 3)

sometimes you will see prairie falcons (similar to a peregrine falcon) after the pigeons in town.

besides looking at a bird book, you can also go to: whatbird.com or birding.com for ID tips and pictures.

When you look at the monster-observe closely the pattern, color and shape of the breast/tail/beak. Falcons have a little 'tooth' on their beak which help them snap the vertebre of their prey.
cool huh?
Posted by RS/SS (+39) 11 years ago
I know when I looked at his beak my first thought before going outside is was where are my leather gloves !!
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1233) 11 years ago
Probably a Sparrow Hawk.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1787) 11 years ago
I've watched a similar hawk by my house. The little house sparrows and chickadees will get very quiet in the lilac bushes, then from his perch on a light pole, he soars down, and makes a pass UNDER the lilac bush branches! Of course, forcing scared little birds UP..you know the rest
Posted by Jennifer Nagy (+59) 11 years ago
You can count the birds at your feeder and submit them to the national count effort.

See the thread titled: Christmas Bird Count: Jan 2nd
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1316) 11 years ago
I was sitting on my stairs one early evening in the Tetons and a grouse flew out of the trees right into the picture window next to me. It was pretty tasty that evening.