Christmas Bird Count: Jan 2nd
Posted by Jennifer Nagy (+52) 11 years ago
Christmas Bird Count in Miles City on January 2nd

This year is the 110th Christmas Bird Count (CBC). Willing participates should meet Saturday January 2nd at the Miles City Public Library starting at 8:00am. Count groups will strike out from the home base and report back to the library for refreshments and return counting materials. Please bring binoculars and dress warmly. If participants wish to count birds from their feeders on January 2nd, they are welcome to pick up count forms at the library. `Early birds' are welcome to go out and count birds before 8:00am, please contact a coordinator beforehand to claim your `turf'.

Everyone can participate. Volunteers count birds within a 15 mile diameter circle. Groups or individuals will count birds within different routes or areas within the count circle. If you are a beginning birder, you will be able to join a group that includes at least one experienced birdwatcher. In addition, if your home is within the boundaries of the Count Circle, then you can stay home and report the birds that visit your feeder. Feeder forms are available at the library.

The Christmas Bird Count is a long-standing program of the Audubon Society. The first count conducted in the state was on December 25th, 1908 in Bozeman. Last year, a total of 207 species, with 183,937 individual birds were counted within the 33 CBC locations statewide.

The CBC is the longest running wildlife census and citizen science project. Each of the citizen scientists who brave snow, wind, or rain, to take part in the Christmas Bird Count make an enormous contribution to conservation. The Audubon Society and other organizations use data collected in the census to assess the health of bird populations and guide conservation actions. After analyzing 40 years of citizen count information, the Audubon society has released their findings of population declines in North America's common birds. Within south-eastern Montana, birds on the top 20 species in decline list include: Northern Pintail, Loggerhead Shrike, Field Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Common Grackle, American Bittern, and Horned Lark; with rates of decline at 77% to 56% in the last 40 years. A recent publication, Birds and climate change: Ecological Disruption in Motion, documents the northward range movements of birds. Adult CBC participates are asked to donate five dollars in order to cover the operating costs and data compilation process of this national program.

If you have any questions regarding the Christmas Bird Count, please contact Windy Davis at (406) 853 2465 or Jennifer Nagy at (406) 234 2784.
bump
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14947) 11 years ago
Stupid question... but I am sure Wendy is wondering... why is this event called the Christmas Bird Count when it is being held the day after New Years?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17237) 11 years ago
Very stupid question. Try re-reading the third paragraph of the original post.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14947) 11 years ago
Is Gunnar giving Wendy the bird?

My bad... never mind

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (12/16/2009)]
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+306) 11 years ago
I really enjoy the bird count. It's a chance to get out of the house during the coldest, darkest time of the year and see the beauty surrounding us and the amazing birds that can survive the Montana winter. Last year we did most of our counting from the warmth of the car, so don't let the weather stop you from trying.
Bird Counts, or any other national wildlife count usually occur during a window of time to allow for scheduling and/or seasonal variation across the nation.

The Christmas Bird Count time period is: Dec 15th through January 5th. In the past, it seems volunteer schedules worked out the best for the weekend after Christmas. This year was the same trend. Last year it was January 3rd, this year it is January 2nd.

For information about the CBC,you can also go here:
http://www.audubon.org/Bird/cbc/
Posted by Steve Allison (+979) 11 years ago
Just a reminder now that the day draws near.
Posted by windy (+31) 11 years ago
If you have any questions about this day feel free to give me a call at 853-2465. Jen is out of town so I will be organizing the event. I will see you at the library on Saturday.

Windy