Fun with scammers!
Posted by Dave Golterman (+244) 11 years ago
I got a phone call this morning from someone with a heavy accent who said I had won $55,000 and they were prepared to deliver my check this afternoon. This guy was so bad at what he did I hope no one would fall for his scam. Here's some of the incredible statements he made:

1) He was an employee of UPS, the United Postal Service, which is a reputable company serving all 52 of the states in the US. Yes, he actually said 52 states and when I questioned him, he said his encyclopedia had 52 states.

2) He was currently in Denton, Montana, but they were coming to Plentywood to deliver my check early this afternoon. Denton to Plentywood is 352 miles according to Google. You can make the trip in a day, but he wasn't going to make it in the few hours he was trying to tell me it would take.

3) He wanted me to get a receipt from Western Union to use as identification. He'd trade the receipt for my $55,000.

4) He wanted me to take my Western Union receipt and wait for the United Postal Service truck in the parking lost of the Walmart in Plentywood. I forgot to ask him how to get to the Plentywood Walmart LOL.

Needless to say, after harassing the guy for about 10 minutes, I just hung up on him. I did a *69 just in case I could get a phone number for him, but it was marked private. Probably a throw away cell phone anyway. But at least in the time he was talking to me, he wasn't able to call someone who might have fallen for his idiotic pitch.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1779) 11 years ago
I don't know Dave....it sounds pretty up and up to me!
Can give me directions to the Walmart in Plentywood. Maybe they'll be still waiting for me!
Posted by Sharon Clarke (+76) 11 years ago
Oh good GRIEF, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
Posted by Pam Beesley (+44) 11 years ago
I work at a bank here in town and its really sad to see how many elderly people fall these kinds of scams!! It breaks my heart everytime we try to convince them they havent won the lottery. If its too good to be true then it probably is!!
I hope they're coming to you before they send the money Pam. I think the reason some of these people fall for the scams is they're lonely and someone is calling them with good news. Who wouldn't want to believe they're going to get a check this afternoon for $55,000.

On the other hand, some of those who fall for it are just plain greedy. But that doesn't make it right to cheat them.