Posted by Kacey (+3151) 10 years ago
Arnold (Carl) Carlson

On December 8, 2009 we lost a wonderful man. He was born Arnold George Carlson but most knew him as Carl. He was a husband to Bernice, his wife of 59 years. He was Dad to Michael Carlson, Kay Carlson (Bob Bergerson) and Wayde Carlson. He was Grandpa Grunt to Jodi and Jason Clark, Jason and Laura Carlson, Josh and Shawna Carlson, all of Billings, Keely (Bright) and Brett Dodd of Miles City, Jenny (Bright) and Jesse Skrivseth of Lolo, and Jennifer Eastin of Colstrip. He was Papa Grunt to Colin and Drew, Brady, Allie and Adam, and Calvin, Marcus and Evan.

Born November 18, 1927 to John and Mildred Carlson, Arnold joined his older brothers Vernon Fossum, Milford Carlson and Herbert Carlson. His younger brother Donald later completed their family.

He was raised on a homestead south of Rhame, North Dakota. Life on the North Dakota prairie was hard. He had many stories of the horribly cold winters where they all sat around a stove trying to stay warm through the night. They went to town on Saturday nights and would dance and visit. They would take the battery out of the car and use it to run the radio for entertainment. And they spent a lot of time playing cards, especially pinochle.

Pinochle became a family tradition passed down to the kids and grandkids. Carl could take the worst hand of cards and somehow manage to still take almost every trick.

Bernice and Carl were married in Baker September 9, 1950. They later moved to Miles City where Carl worked at many things while he raised his family. Among them were remodeling homes and working as a brakeman for the Milwaukee Railroad.

He was very proud of his Swedish heritage. His father and mother were both 100% Swedish. Anytime one of his kids or grandkids did something to be proud of he would say it was because they were Swedish.

He was a man who appreciated everything he had in life. He would say thank you in Swedish with a big smile, whether it was for a piece of toast or a steak. It made no difference as long as he was with his family.

Carl has said for the past few years that he wanted to go home. He has now gone home to join his mother and father and his brothers Vernon, Milford and Donald. Rosin up the bow, there will be fiddle music, banjo music and dancing tonight.

We will always be together in our hearts. We love you so!

Cremation and Funeral Gallery, 29 8th Street West in Billings is in charge of arrangements. Visitation will be Thursday, December 10 from 7-9 pm. A celebration of his life will be held Friday, December 11 at 11 a.m.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6018) 10 years ago
I am sorry to hear of your loss, Kacey. Thank you for sharing the obit with us. You and your family have my best wishes.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14145) 10 years ago
Kacey: I am very sorry to hear about the loss of you dad. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time of sorrow.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5041) 10 years ago
Sorry for your loss, Kacey.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9688) 10 years ago
I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well Kacey. I lost my dad many years ago ... before I knew what happened or understood anything. I can only imagine the pain you must be suffering through. Take care.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1674) 10 years ago
Sincerest condolences to you and your family Kacey.
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+275) 10 years ago
what a lovingly written tribute, my condolences to all who loved carl.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9347) 10 years ago
Kacey, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you & yours.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 10 years ago
Kacey,

So sorry to hear about your dad. He sounds like a great guy.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by souix (+305) 10 years ago
Kacey,

Please accept my sincere sympathy at the loss of your Dad. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+590) 10 years ago
I fear the day that I lose my dad (he's 90) So sorry for your loss. Always hold the memories
Posted by Kacey (+3151) 10 years ago
Thank you everyone for your kind words.