driving w/out english
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+270) 11 years ago
last night my husband and i were 'tapped' from behind in traffic enough for the seat belts to tighten up. the driver behind us was texting and didn't realize that we had come to a complete stop. the pisser of the deal- the lady spoke only russian! luckily, the rear bumper of my husbands atlantic blue cobra was unscathed. (aah they don't make 'em like that anymore!) we didn't call the police, i know were supposed to, but to do so and then request a translator would have put us home near midnight. grrr!!! this is the third (but first with no damage) incident having had happen to us in the last 6 years. the other two were in missoula. this really makes me grumpy.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9180) 11 years ago
If she only spoke spanish, that would be one thing, but russian, that's really no big deal.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2304) 11 years ago
I can understand that. Freshman year in HighSchool, first day. My mom and I were sitting at the slope by the underpass, to go across main street up the slope toward reynolds. Suddenly BANG! Some dumba** student, TEXTING, slammed into us. Funny though, because we're in a big f-150. The girl was in a small chevy truck. Our back bumper had a scratch, her truck was pretty screwed up. Long story short, her parents probably wanted to do something not nice.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6175) 11 years ago
We've had several fatal accidents caused by people texting. Utah finally passed a law against it but I see people doing it all the time.

I heard an interesting take on this regarding newly licensed drivers. These 15 and 16 year olds are used to totally disconnecting from what's happening around them when they are in a car. Before they are old enough to drive they are often sitting in the backseat texting, listening to their ipods or even watching a movie. They aren't used to being vigilant while in the car. So when they finally get their licenses they have to totally change their behavior. This is very difficult to do. Just one more reason my kid isn't getting a cell phone for awhile.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+595) 11 years ago
Wow Wendy you are a grammar Nazi, AND MEAN TO YOUR KID. Kids can't live without a cell phone. I personally wish they had never been invented. Yes I have one.
supporter
My 14 year old does very well without one. She'd give you a different opinion, however.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2304) 11 years ago
I have texted while driving, but I never look away from the road more than a second. Just enough to place the fingers on the keyboard, and type. I have only done this when on a straightaway without cars ahead or behind me. Otherwise I wait till I stop. Wendy, you just need to trust your daughter will make the correct judgement. But, if you don't yet, no worries. As soon as she hits HighSchool, she will just call you an evil mommy till she gets one, cause all her friends have one.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6024) 11 years ago
Josh is the Pope of Textytown.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5105) 11 years ago
This is a terrible story.

It's like when I go to Mexico and the darn Mexicans don't speak English. Pisses me off.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 11 years ago
Texting in Russian! That's impressive. How do you test backwards letters?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14948) 11 years ago
How do you test backwards letters?

I dunno... ask John Tester. "X" hits the spot.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 11 years ago
TEXT! I meant TEXT, Richard!
supporter
Josh, you can rationalize your behavior all you want. It's what teenagers do best. The truth is that texting while driving is incredibly dangerous. Everyone who has ever been in an accident because they were texting also thought exactly as you do. It's a sign of the increasingly narcissistic society we've become. No text is so vital that you need to send it or look at it while you are driving.