I have decided to go anonymous(awful story inside)
Posted by ranting anonymous (+10) 12 years ago
I am going anonymous to rant. I know I should take credit for what I say, but I will omit any names.

[blank] I saw the other day. I went inside her home, and her baby who is mentally and physically handicapped was in his carseat (like always) When they took him out, they decided that instead of changing his diaper that was soaking wet from about 12 hours of non-changing, they wanted to get high. The mother puts the baby in her lap and 3 people start smoking a bowl(of marijuana). At one point the mom thought it would be funny to blow smoke in the child's face. I left immediately after this crying. I was not participating in this, I didn't even know this girl used marijuana. I called the police, and DFS.
THIS was horrible. WHY WOULD ANY PARENT NOT BE GRATEFUL ENOUGH TO CARE ABOUT THEIR CHILD!?!?!

I'm so pissed off, and I just wanted to share how awful someone in Miles City is. I don't want to give out names, but if they read this (they do post on here) I want them to know that you should really learn how to stop acting like a teenager and grow up. Realize your child is completely dependent on you, especially with their disabilities.

Bad situation. Sad Sad situation.
Posted by Ashlee (+61) 12 years ago
All caps to show emotion!!!!

I AM SO DISSAPOINTED AND DISGUSTED IN THE MOTHER OF THIS CHILD! YOU ARE PATHETIC, IRRESPONISIBLE, HORRIBLE AND WORTHLESS! A CHILD IS HELPLESS, AND VERY DEPENDANT ON A MOTHER OR FATHER! YOU DESERVE NOTHING BUT TO LOSE THIS CHILD TO A FAMILY WHO WILL LOVE AND DEVOUT THEIR LIVES TO CARING FOR THIS CHILD! AND NO WONDER WHY THE CHILD HAS PROBLEMS!!!!!!! YOU MESSED THAT CHILD UP WHEN YOU WERE PREGNANT!!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY IM GOING TO COLLEGE TO BE A SOCIAL WORKER! SO CHILDREN (WHOM ARE UNABLE TO HELP THEMSELVES) CAN LIVE A LOVING AND FULFILLING LIFE! I AM SO SICK OF RIDICULOUS PARENTS...DONT GET PREGNANT IF YOU CANT TREAT YOUR CHILD THE WAY THEY DESERVE...THEY DIDNT MAKE THE DECISION TO COME INTO THIS WORLD, SO MAKE DAMN SURE THEY KNOW YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION TO BRING THEM INTO THIS WORLD!!!!

UGHHH!!! GROW UP!!! AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS!!!!
Posted by Todd Riddle (+80) 12 years ago
If only I wasnt so tired I could tell an amazingly sad story myself, but rest assured with a father like me my children will have at least as good a shot as most to over achieve in this life. . . . .

. . . . . .thank you both for being who you are and feeling the way you do

Sad thing however that unless DFS is different than CPS in California in the previously mentioned situation not a whole lot would be done if it meant parting the child from the mother, very sad
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 12 years ago
You did the right thing, ranting. Make sure you are willing to do what is necessary to see this through. DFS will take action but you will have to be willing to stand behind your statements. Otherwise, they may have no evidence, especially if the parent finds out that they've been reported and clean up their act long enough to fool DFS. Stay strong. That baby's life depends on you.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (11/28/2009)]
many children end up abused or dead because DFS doesnt get involved and the parents always fool DFS...im sick of it...im sick of children getting hurt its not fair!!! I hope the people of miles city stands up for this baby!!!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6041) 12 years ago
Ashlee - like law enforcement, DFS can only do so much. Do you know what helps both agencies? People who are willing to sign a statement. Anonymous tips are next to useless because it does nothing for probable cause.

If you want something done, quit bitching about DFS and stand behind what you say.
It is true. I have personally contacted DFS with another gal who was there, we will be signing statements. We remained anonymous with law enforcement because I know they inform people of who called. I KNOW they do. Not all of them, but why risk it? The DFS up here is great imo. They respond very fast. This child is only handicapped because he never leaves his carseat, his diaper isn't changed. He is 14 months old and he can't even crawl. His mother won't take him to physical therapy, she is too busy getting high. She won't clean up her act, she doesn't care about her child.

[This message has been edited by ranting anonymous (11/29/2009)]
Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 12 years ago
I hate to interject, but this "Ranting Anonymous" person sounds ALOT like Polar Bear......
This is here in Miles City lol. Last time I checked Polar Bear (aka Donna something) is from Walla Walla Washington, unless she moved and changed her name to "protect herself." There is no point in trying to figure out who this is. I didn't use names and purposefully tell what I saw to ruin someone's life. I could give out a LOT more detail, but the fact is I AM JUST PISSED. I don't believe it is my place to air out someone's dirty laundry and let the whole town know who it is. The proper things have been done with this.
Posted by polar bear (+510) 12 years ago
The poster is NOT me, but I completely agree with what she did. I am pleased to associated (even mistakenly) with a person who is doing what is right for the sake of a child. Anonymous is a hero.
Thank you polar bear. I think no one will disagree on this post.
Posted by Toni Rentschler (+1518) 12 years ago
I do agree that you should have said something. Only if there were more poeple like you ranting anonymous, then life would be easier for those who are trying to do the right thing.

Ashley, thank you for also what you are doing. I hope you do well, and right in the career that you have chosen. It is far and few between when you find a GREAT one out there in that group.

I have stated my DFS story on here befor. That is the onyl thing that I dissagree with. DFS doens't do enough in this town. I have called, I have asked for help, I have begged to keep my kids safe.. But what heppens? Nothing! Not a thing! They only mess with the cases they think they can win. I have been asking for help from them for almost a year. And still nothing.
Dont keep your hopes up. Even with a signed statement it wont get as far as you think. I have had other watch, call, report and sign statement on my ex. Nothing, noithing has helped.

But I do still hope that everything works out and that baby gets to be with happy, healthy, LOVING PEOPLE!
Send a written follow up letter to child protective services and cc a copy to your police chief. Both will see the other was notified and they would be fools (liability wise) to know you have proof if something really bad happens.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 12 years ago
Good luck. Even with written proof and a video statement DFS would not listen to us. The state office for DFS in Helena would not listen.

[This message has been edited by Kacey (11/29/2009)]
Send a copy to your state representatives.
Posted by elsie (+57) 12 years ago
Is the problem with DFS or the parents. Why did you not call law enforcement immediately?
Brian- Toni is right. DFS slacks in their jobs alot of the times. And I quote "NOT ALL THE TIME DO THEY SLACK" but many times they do. A child who is 14 months old and cant even crawl is horrible for a child. And as a matter of fact I WILL BE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!! Just because you like to sit back and be Mr. Macho!! Doesnt mean any of us are the same!!! How about standing behind this instead of bitching????
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+273) 12 years ago
ranting, thank you for being an upstanding citizen! stay strong for this child- at this point you are one of the few adults with his best interest at heart.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+587) 12 years ago
OK So you posted here and now these people you say read and post here are NOW INFORMED that you have contacted DFS and the police. If they are indeed paying attention they are now in the process of 'cleaning up their act' and thereby making it more difficult for DFS to 'do their job' (to your expectations)

I'm suggesting that perhaps the better course of action would be to report these people, let DFS and the police respond, and then follow up with both agencies. If you have done this, Bravo!
supporter
DFS has its hands full and must follow some very strict guidelines when it acts. Taking a child away from parents is a very serious act. Would you want the State to be able to come in to your home and take your child on a whim? Of course not. Who would? DFS must have credible evidence and usually must give the parents a chance to clean up, take parenting classes and satisfy DFS that they can be adequate parents. Sure there are cases that fall through the cracks. DFS workers are not paid well and in general have heavy caseloads. They rely on others to report abuse and neglect. And they rely on those others to follow through. Often a neighbor or friend has second thoughts about reporting abuse because they don't want to get involved in the legal proceedings that follow.

Hang in there, ranting anonymous.
Most agencies these days are in the job of helping the parents parent better and not snatching children from homes. If they care enough about keeping the child to clean up their act, then they are workable and can be helped. If they read here and do nothing, that will be pretty telling. Either way, I cannot see how it can do anything but help this little one.
Thank you all for your support. Every day I think about that baby, and I send my best wishes for its life. Someday, that child will have a loving home to thrive in. I know that the world cannot remain awful if circumstances are changed.
supporter
Posted by Emilie Boyles (+246) 12 years ago
In response to Bruce Hellend's comment,

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. When I have lead how-to activism workshops, one of the techniques I have suggested is to tackle an issue on both ends. In other words, if you want something done, use proper channels of authority such as calling law enforcement child protective services. If there is little confidence that action will be taken, take the issue in a timely manner to proper elected officials and public forums. Reporters such as myself in small towns are not likely to "run" with such a story but will watch the situation for an emerging story so this type of venue is a good way to go.

I would suggest one additional way to cover yourself though. In this day of camera phones and recorders on cell phones, should you find yourself in a similar situation in the future, snap a few pics of evidence and turn the recorder on in your purse. It may give child protective services encouragement to do something and could also protect you in the future should the people in question try to retaliate so you can prove it was more than your word against theirs.

People with addiction issues to the extent described by anonymous are unlikely to be able to clean up their act sufficient to stop the investigative process and even if they get enough done this time around, the file does not go away and the next report will build on whatever they find the first time around. The system is also structured to be fair and protect families who could be targets of a vendetta for other reasons (for example, not applicable that we know of in this case, an ex-spouse who has a friend calling in reports in order to question competency of a custodial parent).
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 12 years ago
Wendy,
DFS in Miles City has taken MANY MANY children from their homes without credible evidence. They are an arrogant bunch in MC. One that used to work there walked right into a woman's home without knocking. She walked into the barrel of a gun. That's what arrogant behavior by DFS employees will get you. She quit DFS after that.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17158) 12 years ago
Emilie Boyles wrote:
In this day of camera phones and recorders on cell phones, should you find yourself in a similar situation in the future, snap a few pics of evidence and turn the recorder on in your purse.

I'm pretty sure it's against the law to surreptitiously record a conversation in the state of Montana. I think you need to have the permission of all parties or the recorder needs to be in plain view.
I don't believe you have to have the criminal's permission to take a picture of them breaking the law.
Posted by Amber (+224) 12 years ago
I think DFS in Miles City is a crock. They seem to take the kids that are in a good environment and overlook the cases where the kids should be taken.

Personally, I know a gentleman that has had numerous calls to DFS about him drinking bottles of whiskey and then driving around with his kids in the car. The most that DFS did about that was interviewed the kids, then sent him a letter stating that he needed to refrain from drinking and driving when the children are present (my question is "only when the children are present?" I thought drinking and driving was illegal). Plus it took them over a month from the initial call to respond. These children are put in harms way, and nothing is being done.

Then on the other hand I know a couple different people that have had their children ripped from their home, no questions asked and then they have to earn back their children. The children being taken may have been justified by DFS but the children did come from drug-free/alcohol-free home and were not in harms way.

I feel DFS needs to have priority and priority is what they don't have. I don't know how their system works but it seems to be failing those who need it and are reaping the benefits by prosecuting people that may have just needed assistance in the first place.

That system is completely a** backwards in how they function.
supporter
Perhaps DFS is not the same agency I knew 10 years ago. It certainly worked in the case I'm aware of. Three beautiful girls would be totally messed up if they had been brought up by their egg donor.
Posted by hallick (+122) 12 years ago
I am a foster parent I have called to offer my home to this child, there was no report made off this (awful story inside) I asked a reliable source to both agencies and this is where the story begun and ended. Please put your money where your mouth is. The slander that is going on is not far because the report has not been made... If you are serious about reporting here is a wonderful number for you to call 18668205437..
Excuse me sir or ma'am, but I doubt they would tell you details of any open case. I know the child is still in the home. I have called that number twice, once they referred me to the police because it seemed to be a "serious situation," and the second time they took my report. I don't need this to be verified. I just wanted to rant. No names need to be given out, and this is already being handled (or so I have been told) I don't think anyone can do anything else, except the proper authorities.

There is no slander involved, because there is a lack of name, address, phone number any identifiers at all. Oh, I did say they post on here, which is how many people?? Unless of course you happen to know this situation personally.

[This message has been edited by ranting anonymous (12/1/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 12 years ago
They post on here!? Damn.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17462) 12 years ago
Hmmmm.....pot smokers with mentally/physically handicapped baby, who post on mc. com.....that only eliminates about 20% of the trailer parks in town, leaving it still anyone's guess who it may be.

Still, I'll be the first to take a stab at it. Eric Brandt?
Posted by Meri (+129) 12 years ago
Gunnar you make me giggle!
Posted by poisonspaghetti (+282) 12 years ago
No es a mi.
Ashlee - do you know anyone who works for DFS?
Posted by Keli A. (+105) 12 years ago
Ranting Anonymous-
I am also a foster parent and have 2 children in my home as we speak. One of them came to us from the hospital after he was born and the other came to us only after the parents were given an adequet amount of time to clean up their act. In which they did not do. I have had to call the 800 number many times and know what they ask and how it works. I ask you this....since you are not giving out any info about the family involved (which I agree with)...did you give the athorities the names, address, phone number, etc.? I want to believe that you did, otherwise the athorities have no where to start! I really doesn't matter if you remain anonymous...they get told what was reported about them and they know who it is. I have been on both sides of this and you know who it is by what was reported. There are only so many people who are around that child and have seen what you have seen and the parents know that. If you really care for the safety of that child you would not care if they knew it was you. You are doing the right thing and need not to worry about them finding out!! Keep up with turning in all you have seen and it will get done....don't give up.

DFS does a great job for these kids and they have sooooo many to help. Please give them a break and try to help them not fight against them. They are here for the kids and all the negative talk doesn't help at all!! I know some have had bad experiences with DFS but move on and try to help!!!

I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone on here but being negative does NOTHING for that child!!!
Posted by Ms Dinger (+188) 12 years ago
well said Keli!
supporter
Posted by skoh (+328) 12 years ago
I second that!
Thirded.