bookstores
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 12 years ago
From our webmaster's post:

Trying to find a brick and mortar bookstore is actually fairly difficult, had to look up on the Internet where to find one, and we're on the edge of the Seattle metropolis. Apparently around here the only places are "Barnes & Noble" and "Borders" ... is that it? Aren't there any others? I guess not, the bookstore is a dying breed.

You need to take a trip down to Portland and go to Powell's bookstore. It is such an amazing place!! It takes up a whole city block. I could have stayed there for a month and still not looked at all the books I wanted to!
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1590) 12 years ago
Kasey, I feel your frustration. Corporate controlled book store, what's next corporate controlled news?

Try reading "Books" by Larry McMurtry-excellent thesis on the death of book stores.

When I am in Denver I usually hit the Tattered Cover book store. In Billings there used to be a book store called the Scotsman but it is now closed. We know that Miles City has no book stores, unfortunately. So it is getting harder and harder to find a used book store or even a single owner bookstore and what we are left with is corporate dominated book stores.
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+277) 12 years ago
i love love love powells! too bad parking downtown is so annoying, they (powells) have a parking garage- but i'm not giving some stranger, garage attendant my car keys park there.

as an addicted reader i also love finding books at thrift stores.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 12 years ago
If you are ever in Salt Lake City you must go to Sam Weller's Books and Ken Sander's Rare Books. Each is a family-owned store with used and new books and have been in Salt Lake for decades. Ken Sander's is especially terrific for classic first editions, pulp fiction, and all kinds of great stuff.
Posted by Patricia (+67) 12 years ago
Red Lodge has a small but decent bookstore.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6113) 12 years ago
Tattered Cover rules!

That is all.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 12 years ago
Yup, Powell's is amazing. Yup, parking in downtown Portland is insane. Yup, I got lost in Powell's once. lol

I think they should issue GPS tracking devices for people like me that wander too far away and need to be rescued.
Posted by gypsykim (+1561) 12 years ago
I love Powell's in Portland, The Tattered Cover in Denver, Aunties in Spokane, the 100,000 Books in Albion, MT, and Watermark Books and Cafe in Wichita, KS. I seek out independent booksellers when I travel. They are the best places to buy books. There are some nice ones in the Washington, D.C. area, I just can't remember the names.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2737) 12 years ago
I was going to go to tattered cover in LoDo yesterday, but got sidetracked doing a little x-mas shopping at Rockmount Ranch Wear ( http://www.rockmount.com/ ) which is just a few blocks away on Wazee St. (I just had to say "Wazee!) Picked up a great new hat for yours truly as well. The Colfax location of Tattered Cover has a parking garage with an incredible view of City Park from the top deck - it's worth making a few extra loops.

If'n y'all ever find yourself in Austin, TX, there are two great bookstores to check out. For new books, visit BookPeople in the "old" Whole Foods store at 6th & Lamar. For the more budget minded, Half Price Books (several locations) truly has the most amazing and well organized collection of used books, vinyl records, and dvds you'll ever find. Plus it's been doing its part to "keep Austin weird" for several decades. Ya gotta love that!

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (11/29/2009)]