Seattle Mariner Foolishness
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3741) 12 years ago
Lincecum's the one; that makes two Cys
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...p&c_id=mlb

Yet another example of Seattle Mariner foolishness stupidity. Passing on a known quantity for a known problem makes sooooo much sense and is one more reason I can shake my head and laugh at the Seattle Mariner "Management".

To be fair though this isn't the fault of Jack Zduriencik but it is indicative of how the Mariners have been mismanaged over the years by various people.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10016) 12 years ago
Out of the entire AL, which team had the lowest ERA in 2009?

The Seattle Mariners.

Suprise, suprise. Pitching isn't the problem. They don't need an overpriced Lincecum.
admin
founder
In addendum, out of the entire AL, which team scored the fewest runs in 2009?

The Seattle Mariners.

There's the problem.
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+175) 12 years ago
Definately need some bats. Although middle relief did well last season, I was scared silly every time they went to the pen. Just nobody in the pen that scares hitters. They don't need to be scared to strike out, but it helps. I love Beltre's defense, but he needs to hit or go away. I'd take a few more errors at 3rd in exchange for another 70 points on the average. And we should get more quality at bats from Rob Johnson. The year of seasoning he just got should really help. That and playing everyday. Kenji was ok behind the plate, but the guy hit 450 homeruns, that were all 30 feet foul down the left field line. Slow up a little, and hit 55 balls deep. Did anybody else see that?
You may be right Larry but may I remind you this

2009 Seattle Mariner Roster
http://www.baseball-alman...2009&t=SEA

Was the roster.

Of that I can count on one hand the number that of them that were worth a **** and still have two fingers left over Aardsma, Rowland-Smith & Felix. The rest were either mediocre or wildly inconsistent.

They don't need an overpriced Lincecum.

Heh. That made me laugh. Lincecum is an overpriced pitcher we "Don't need" yet on that list sits Eric Bedard, Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn & Miguel Batista.

Speaking of being "Overpriced" let's go back a couple of years when we could've picked him for a bargain-basement price and take a look at this roster:

2007 Seattle Mariners Roster
http://www.baseball-alman...2007&t=SEA

Hmm, I think I see Batista & Washburn's names on the list there. Also I think I spy the $8,000,000 Million Dollar Man Jeff Weaver.

I'd say Lincecum is still a bargain considering what we've overpaid for those clowns.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (11/19/2009)]
admin
founder
Kyle L. Varnell wrote:
Aardsma, Rowland-Smith & Felix

- Aardsma is easily replaceable.
- Rowland-Smith shows promise.
- Felix is definitely the king.

Kyle L. Varnell wrote:
yet on that list sits Eric Bedard, Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn & Miguel Batista

That's why I said, they don't need another overpriced pitcher. They are a risky proposition. All of the above (Bedard, Silva, Washburn, Batista and Weaver) were pitchers that flat out sucked and/or sucked money from payroll for little return.
were pitchers that flat out sucked and/or sucked money from payroll for little return.

Are you really lumping in a two-time Cy Young winner with Bedard, Silva et al? Do you really believe Lincecum "sucks money from the payroll" and offers "little in return"?
admin
founder
And exactly who was Erik Bedard when the Mariners acquired him?

Not a Cy Young winner, but if I remember correctly, was in serious consideration right before he was picked up -- didn't seem like that bad of a deal at the time, eh?

I was against the deal, the "old management" giving away too much for an overpriced pitcher -- and look where it got them.
Not a Cy Young winner, but if I remember correctly, was in serious consideration right before he was picked up -- didn't seem like that bad of a deal at the time, eh?

No he wasn't but Lincecum is. Twice over I might add. The Bedard trade was horrible and I was very vocal about it. He was good but not anywhere near what he was traded for.

Comparing Bedard to Lincecum is like comparing a Bentley to Ford Taurus.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (11/19/2009)]
admin
founder
Kyle L. Varnell wrote:
No he wasn't

Okay, now you're going to make me google ...

http://www.google.com/sea...d+Cy+Young

Sift through the results, I was right, you can figure out the rest ... he was in contention for the Cy Young award.

Kyle L. Varnell wrote:
but Lincecum is. Twice over I might add.

I don't doubt Lincecum is a stud, however (without looking up any stats), imo, Felix should have won the Cy Young award ... so not really twice over, more like 1 plus an extra.
Posted by Slosh (+697) 12 years ago
Just to throw my thought out there. Lincecum made $405,000 in his first Cy Young season (2008) and $650,000 this last season http://sports.espn.go.com...erId=28705.
So I wouldn't say he's overpriced for what he has accomplished. But then again, he may start being overpriced in the coming years.
"Sabean, who said he wasn't "overly concerned" by Lincecum's arrest, is prepared for what could be a lengthy arbitration process with Lincecum this winter. The Giants aren't planning to reward him with a longterm deal at this stage, but that has nothing to do with Lincecum's legal trouble. Lincecum had a $650,000 salary in 2009.
http://www.google.com/hos...QD9C350V81
admin
founder
To acquire Lincecum, however, would take quite a feat ... thus making him overpriced. The Mariners problem isn't pitching anyway. They were the best in the AL. Their problem is with bats.
he was in contention for the Cy Young award.

Contention means nothing if the result is nothing.

Felix should have won the Cy Young award ... so not really twice over, more like 1 plus an extra

I agree that he should've but he didn't and Felix is in the American League. Again, "Should've" means nothing if the result is nothing.

To acquire Lincecum, however, would take quite a feat ... thus making him overpriced.

It would now, which makes the Mariner's decision to pass on him all the more idiotic. Two Cy Young awards vs ZERO, production vs mediocrity & known quantity vs known problem is still a good deal, not overpriced.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6116) 12 years ago
Do you know what means even less than nothing? Pining away for a pitcher who isn't (and never was) on your team. Just saying, is all.
admin
founder
Lincecum could have been got, but that never happened and it was the "old management" who screwed that up. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and we've got Morrow, who's got some promise, hopefully as a starter, since, imo, closers and middle relievers are a dime a dozen and easily replaceable (except for certain characters like Mariano Rivera.)

I also do realize there is an AL and NL Cy Young award (duh). Perhaps I didn't best state my argument, however, it doesn't change the fact that history is history, and pitching is not currently the Mariners problem. It would be really nice to have Lincecum, but any attempt to acquire him now is after the fact and impractical.
For all I've slammed Morrow I will say this: He does have promise, but not as a starter.

If the Mariner management were smart they'd move him and KEEP him in the bullpen. I feel he'd be more effective as a reliever than as a starter but that's just me. His arm is good but not as a starter.
admin
founder
I know, I've watched him. If he doesn't end up a starter, then he's one dime of the dozen.