Applecare Protection Plan
Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 13 years ago
Well, My Warranty was to expire in 2 days from today, and I went ahead and purchased this badboy.

$239.99 on the Education Discount.

My Warranty now expires in 2011.

Did anyone purchase this for their mac?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 13 years ago
Josh, I purchased this for my MacBook Pro when I got it in December of 2007 and it has MORE than paid for itself.

The display on it went out about 3 months ago and I took it in to my local Apple Store. A couple of days later he was printing up the bill for record purposes and he said to just ignore the price because I have AppleCare.

The price would've cost me without Apple Care $1,500 but since I had it it cost me nothing. Also when my harddrive died a month ago it also cost me nothing. I have AppleCare until December of 2010. After that it's time to get a new Mac and new AppleCare!

Great piece of mind for only $200!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6121) 13 years ago
I might, if I owned a Mac.

Of course, I will never own a Mac.
You also won't support the Yankees Brian. What does that say?
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6121) 13 years ago
It says that I still have a brain and a will of my own, Kyle.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 13 years ago

Moe: "Alright, tell me when I hit the sweet spot."
Homer: "Deeper, you pusillanimous pilsner pusher!"
Moe: "All right, all right."
Homer: "De-fense! Ooh! Ooh! De-fense! Ooh! Ooh!"

Moe: "Eh, that's pretty dumb. But, uh..."

Homer: "Extended warranty? How can I lose?"
Moe: "Perfect."
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 13 years ago
$1500?

Geez. Hopefully for that price they price in the required lubricant.

I'm sure Apple has a trendy marketing name for that, in the PC world that would be known as "a ripoff."
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 13 years ago
You can buy 3 windows laptops for $1500 hehe, I don't think they'd have the nerve to try to charge that for a repair.
supporter
For that amount of money I'd want Chezwick to drive to my house and replace the panel himself. Maybe fetch me a beer while he was at it.
Keep in mind that Apple uses the High Quality panels in their computers. That is why my 15" Macbook Pro has a resolution of 1440x900, and not 1200x800. Plus these panels display a much bigger amount of colors, and they are also led backlit.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1286) 13 years ago
Josh I haven't read the whole bill yet but I think you may be covered under the 2100 page health care bill. So save your money, you'll need it buddy.
supporter
That is why my 15" Macbook Pro has a resolution of 1440x900, and not 1200x800. Plus these panels display a much bigger amount of colors, and they are also led backlit.

Dell's got a full 1080p (1920x1080) LED-backlit Studio 15 on their site right now for $625.

Now granted, that's not a fair comparison. That $625 is for the whole computer.
I'd still rather pay the so-called "Apple Tax" then deal with the myriad of problems I've gone through with the various pc's I've had over the years.

That and the fact that if I have a problem or a question I can speak to somebody fluent in English and not get routed to India.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (11/20/2009)]
supporter
I've had incredibly good luck with Windoze over the years. There's a few cardinal rules I think that make your Windows experience alot better.

First, don't buy hardware from cut-rate or no-name manufacturers. Or at least not if they're the ones providing the driver support. Video cards aren't so bad, since the no-name brands are still usually supported by the chip manufacturers' driver (nvidia, ati)

Second, don't buy software that claims to speed up, enhance, or otherwise change the behavior of Windows. From experience, software that claims to prevent your computer from crashing usually causes it to crash. The old Norton System Doctor was quite possibly the worst piece of software ever written. To this day, I still won't touch anything resembling, or even faintly reminding me of Norton System Works.

Third, don't install software, especially free software, just to see what it does. Limit your software installations to what you need.

and Fourth, if you need antivirus, be picky. Check the reviews for that year and determine which reputable antivirus gets the best ratings, especially for performance. Don't languish on an old version for years either.

Kaspersky was my favorite for awhile, but Symantec's new AV since 2009 (now 2010) is actually very good.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1340) 13 years ago
Some good advice on the PC front from Rick.

Kaspersky is still the best out there in terms of response and inter-operability in my experience. My added 2 cents:

Don't run free anti-virus. The landscape of the internet and computing has changed such that using free anti-virus is exactly as smart as allowing some random person to install free door locks on your home. If you want to be protected, pay for good protection. It's getting cheaper and cheaper.

Always run two hard drives. One small one holding your Operating System and another one, however large you want, holding everything else. The way multi-core PC's work the speed on the Operating system is hardly affected by utilizing apps at the same time in this configuration.

[This message has been edited by J. Dyba (11/20/2009)]
That is good advice but for some reason I've never had to run one on my Mac.

supporter
The spoils of obscurity, Kyle. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Rick, Dell may have it now, but when my mac was released Dell had no comparison whatsoever. Same with Kyle's Macbook Pro. When the Macbook Pro's were released back in 2006, they were literally top of the line. If you were to go to Dell, Hp, Sony, Gateway, Alienware, Acer or any other of the mass amount of manufactures you would find something that could not compare in that time. Now, Apple's computers are not that top of the line in their laptop line. Point is In 2007 the screen was the best, and that is why it cost so much to replace.