Internet Explorer 8?
Posted by Kathy Meidinger (+32) 12 years ago
Should I upgrate to IE 8? Any reviews?
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10014) 12 years ago
I stuck with IE6 forever, skipped IE7 (however my significant other has it on her Vista machine, so I'm aware of it), but finally gave in and upgraded to IE8, and IMO, it is the best browser Microsoft has produced to date. I would recommend it.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 12 years ago
We updated to IE8 and found that I could no longer open some sites that I'd had no trouble with before. Also my husband could no longer access his work website from home. I have to use Foxfire for some things now. Silly.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+591) 12 years ago
Thanks Wendy I haven't been able to use netflix. It kept telling me to load silverlight I would load it then it would say, that it was already on my computer. so I would uninstall it and try again. It would never go to the movie just kept telling me to download silverlight. I put firefox on and I am now able to watch movies.
admin
founder
I find that very strange. What operating systems are you using? IE8 is probably the most solid browser MS has ever produced. It has a compatibility mode "just in case" some whatever web site doesn't render properly (there's a toggle button on the toolbar.)

Also, cleaning up your machine (e.g. CCleaner or Spyware Doctor), constantly running software like Norton AntiVirus, occasionally clearing out your cache, and/or hitting Ctrl+F5 can sometimes perform wonders.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+591) 12 years ago
I have vista. I have c cleaner and use it almost everyday. I am not sure what you mean by compatability mode, I don't see anything like a toggle switch. But every thing else works so for now if I want to watch a movie I can go to firefox.
admin
founder
If you right click the menu bar, a popup menu will appear that says "Compatibility View Button" ... a little button will appear next to the refresh one ... you can toggle it on and off.

That's probably not your problem however. Your problem is probably Vista and its security, and you probably do not completely understand it, which is an OS I've refused to use. Vista is a piece of junk.

I only reluctantly upgraded from IE6 to IE8 and was pleasantly surprised. I have had ZERO problems with IE8. When I'm developing, I'm using it 12+ hours a day.

I'm also looking forward to upgrading from XP to Windows 7, but I think I'll just go buy a new computer with it already installed so I don't have to deal with the upgrade process ... and just migrate instead.