So this is what upsets conservatives
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 12 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...yasiaobama

A bow here, and bow there -- and the next thing you know the US economy will be in shambles and we'll be involved in wars we have no business being involved in.

I guess Cheney, Bennett, Hannity, Beck, Coulter, Malkin and that bunch forget that one of Alexander the Great's most brilliant moves was to prostrate not only himself but his generals in front of Darius after conquering the Persians. By using a little diplomacy, he won the hearts of the Persian people and prevented ongoing bloodshed, saving the lives of thousands of soldiers on both sides of the war.

Of course, they were just the lives of commonfolk - so those don't count in the world that Cheney, Bennett, Hannity, Beck, Coulter and Malkin occupy. Maybe that's why those idiots wouldn't recognize diplomacy if it swam up behind them and bit them on their big fat brains. :!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Yes, but Alexander the Great was one of those homosexuals I've heard so much about. You know, the ones who are "tearing apart the fabric of society."

Besides, everyone knows that bathing in the blood of the vanquished shows how much of a real man you are. Isn't that right, Richard? Chuckles? Jimbo? Heath?

Seriously, though ... conservatives are upset because our President actually exhibited some (GASP!) respect to another country - which happens to be one of our closest allies - and its leader?

Oh, the horror! The horror!

I guess President Obama should have just vomited on Emperor Akihito. That'll show them who's boss.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (11/16/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5095) 12 years ago
Well, yeah, this and the HOMOS
Posted by Leif Hope (+94) 12 years ago
one of Alexander the Great's most brilliant moves was to prostrate not only himself but his generals in front of Darius after conquering the Persians. By using a little diplomacy, he won the hearts of the Persian people and prevented ongoing bloodshed, saving the lives of thousands of soldiers on both sides of the war.

Are we at war with Japan?
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 12 years ago

What do you think, Ace?
Posted by Leif Hope (+94) 12 years ago

What do you think, Ace?

Nethermind, it was a joke...
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9195) 12 years ago
And Eisenhower bowed to Charles F'n De Gaulle, if you can believe that.

You know, I think there may be a picture of Dubya slipping a Saudi prince the tongue (right before said prince slipped Dubya the oh never mind).

You would think this confluence of utter stupidity and firearms fetishism would have led to a self-deselecting population over the years.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4463) 12 years ago
It's kind of funny to see a thread on MilesCity.com devoted to what upsets conservatives, as told exclusively by liberals.

Seems like if it was so upsetting to us, we might've mentioned it before you did.

Then again, the accusation of being enraged by the trivial seems pretty rich coming from the people whose most recent call to arms centers around the former Miss California.
supporter
C'mon now, Bridigier

EVERYONE KNOWS EISENHAUER WAS JUST A RINO
supporter
I guess Rickenhawk didn't go to drudgereport.com or watch Fox News for the last three days.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
supporter
Yes, but Alexander the Great was one of those homosexuals I've heard so much about. You know, the ones who are "tearing apart the fabric of society.

Yeah, and word on the street is he helped put the MBLA in NAMBLA too.

But who are we to judge? As they say, When in Greece...
supporter
Nah, Rickenhawk, I think that was your boy Mark Foley.
Just channeling my inner Richard, Rick.
supporter
Well, you know how they seperate the men from the boys in Greece, don't you?

With a crowbar.
supporter
Bridgier'll be here all week
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+425) 12 years ago
Watch the WWII film that is running on the History Channel right now and then ask yourself why our "Commander in Chief" is bowing to that Jap bastard.

They will never deserve that kind of respect; the sneaky ambushing sons-of bitches.

You f**king punks will never understand that.

And if this pisses you off, good. I read this quote today:

"If you go through a day without attracting the frothing fury of a liberal asshat, you're not doing your job."

Today I have done my job.
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+167) 12 years ago
Bitter! Party of 1?
supporter
Jim, I don't really have a big opinion on the bending or bowing per se.

But Jap bastard?

Really?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 12 years ago
Jim,

You are either insane or completely devoid of brain cells.

Jap Bastards

Take your bigotry and ignorance & shove it.
supporter
Well Rick, Kyle. That's your boy.
Well Rick, Kyle. That's your boy.

He isn't my "boy" Bob. Jim's bullsh** I can do without thank you very much.
supporter
Not sure I can go that far. I don't know Jim.

If someone served in that war at that time, they earned the right to say it however they want.

I just don't ordinarily see the value in holding the living accountable for the dead.
supporter
"If you go through a day without attracting the frothing fury of a liberal asshat, you're not doing your job."

Jim, no matter what you say or what insults you hurl, you long ago ceased to inspire any reaction whatsoever with one exception, voiced by none other than Ronald Reagan:

There you go again.
supporter

Nixon bowing to HIROHITO

OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!!
supporter
Don't you mean "HUMILITY"?

How horrible! WE are THEE superpower, after all.
supporter
Steve:

This is true.

I bet Jimbo blew a gasket when Nixon did this, since Hirohito was actually running the show when the so-called JAP BASTARDS bombed Pearl Harbor.
Jimbo wrote:
Today I have done my job.

Hope it was worth it. See you around, Jimbo.
My grandfather was a platoon XO (and later, commander) in the Third Marine Division in WWII. He faced live fire in the invasions of Guam and Iwo Jima. During those operations, he killed more Japanese soldiers than you can probably imagine in your twisted (wet) dreams, Jimbo. He has also seen his friends and fellow Marines die around him at the hands of the Japanese soldiers they were fighting.

He's not proud of it, but he was a Marine and the United States was at war with Japan. He did his job. Extremely well, I might add.

What he IS proud of is that he is a liberal-minded person who hasn't allowed the terrible things he's seen and lived through to drag him down to the level of idiots like yourself, Jimbo.

My grandfather earned the right to think and say the bile you posted in this thread. But he doesn't, because he is a decent human being. You haven't and you most certainly aren't. All you've done is watch the History Channel. If you had a chest, we could pin a medal on it.

My grandfather is 91 years old, has two artificial hips and an artificial knee. He is dying of cancer. He may or may not live to see 2010. That having been said, if he read any of the asshattery you've posted on here, he'd give you his cane to wear as a bowtie. And you would have earned it.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
Hear! Hear!
Posted by Heath H (+641) 12 years ago
Brian,

I'm only curious, not trying to start anything. I would like to know if your grandfather considers himself a patriot?

If he does or does not, is he aware of the current political climate?

If he is aware of the current political climate, who in the current political arena does he consider to be a true patriot?
Heath wrote:
I'm only curious, not trying to start anything. I would like to know if your grandfather considers himself a patriot?

Heath, let's be honest. You rarely ever post something without the intent to "start something" or at the very least, perpetuate something.

That having been said, I'll answer your question. He considers himself an American citizen who has served his country honorably and is proud to pay his taxes. He believes that the term "patriot" has been co-opted and/or subverted by conservatives to mean something that only conservatives can possibly be. He doesn't care to play those games.

He voted for Obama/Biden, who he saw as more capable leaders than McCain/Palin. Moreover, he believes that President Obama is an American-born citizen. He also believes that President Obama meant it when he swore to uphold the Constitution. He is a hunter and does not believe for a second that President Obama is trying to take his guns away. He's a Christian, but he doesn't use his spirituality to feel superior to anyone else. He doesn't believe that government and religion should have anything to do with one another. He thinks the idea that President Obama is a Muslim is ridiculous.

I don't think my grandfather had anything personal against John McCain. I know that he thinks Sarah Palin is an unqualified floozy. Grandpa's primary issue with McCain was that he would continue the policies of President Obama's predecessor, who Grandpa has called (since before 2000), a "bantam rooster."

If he does or does not, is he aware of the current political climate?

My grandpa has cancer, not Alzheimer's, Heath. He's as sharp as ever and remains one of the most intelligent people I know. He is aware of the current climate.

But he was born in 1918. He has lived through far, FAR worse. He sees the current climate as the result of eight years of a disastrous presidency. Having lived through the Great Depression, he realizes that problems - especially the sheer volume left for President Obama when he took office - take more than a year to solve.

Grandpa, having fought in World War II, understands what's of importance and what's pure bulls**t. He believes that Nixon was a crook, Reagan was an idiot and Dubya was a bigger crook and a bigger idiot than either of them.

If he is aware of the current political climate, who in the current political arena does he consider to be a true patriot?

Grandpa, having lived through McCarthyism, has too much intelligence and too much experience to resort to such short-sighted and self-serving labels like "true patriot." But if he had to pick - as he did on Election Day, 2008 - he would pick President Obama.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (11/17/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17328) 12 years ago
Easy question....the ones in the current political arena who are the truest patriots are the guys wearing the tricorn hats and packing the pieces at the rallies.
supporter
I vote for the Oath Keepers.
supporter
And the teabaggers too. Very patriotic. Just ask them.
Brian,
Thank you for your answer. I would agree with your grandfather on several points, disagree with him on others including his choice of Obama as a, "true patriot." Obviously, the word patriot means different things to different people.

Gunnar,
Other than those with tricorn hats and open carry firearms, who else would you call, "patriot?"

Wiki says;
A patriot is someone who , feels or voices expressions of patriotism, support for their country.

Wiki says this about patriotism;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriotism

Who are patriots by my standard? I believe Newt Gingrich is a patriot, even though he is a politician. I like some of the things Alan Keyes says. There are others I admire enough to call patriot, but I'm always ready for the url that will prove me wrong.

In the current political arena, who in this country is a true selfless American patriot without obligations to special interest and corporate lobby? How long is that list?

supporter
sponsor
Posted by souix (+301) 12 years ago
Heath,

In your post you ask:

In the current political arena, who in this country is a true selfless American patriot without obligations to special interest and corporate lobby?

I would venture a guess that by that definition it would be difficult, at best, to find anyone without some ties to special interests and corporate lobbies, as this is the "nature of the beast" when we consider the method of electing politicians in America. Our political system is set up to cost those who wish to run, millions of dollars.

Perhaps some more worthwhile time could be spent considering some of the points from the article on patriotism, such as:

1. Within nations, politicians may appeal to patriotic emotions in attacking their opponents, implicitly or explicitly accusing them of betraying the country.

2. Some religious believers place their religion above their 'fatherland', often resulting in suspicion and hostility from patriots.

3. A problem with treating patriotism as an objective virtue is that patriotisms often conflict.

4. Some authors argue that patriotism is distinguished from nationalism by its lack of aggression or hatred for others, its defensiveness, and positive community building.

5. There are historical examples of individuals who fought for other countries, sometimes for their independence - for example the Marquis de Lafayette, Tadeusz Kosciuszko and Kazimierz Pulaski in the American Revolutionary War, and the "Philhellenes," western Europeans who fought in the Greek War of Independence, notably Lord Byron. Was Lafayette an American patriot, or the Philhellenes Greek patriots? Alasdair MacIntyre would claim that they were not; that these and similar cases are instances of idealism, but not of patriotism.

6. For [Philosopher, Alasdair] MacIntyre, patriotism by definition can only be a preference for one's own country, not a preference for the ideals that a country is believed to stand for. Charles Blattberg's conception of patriotism, however, is more nuanced: to him, a patriot can be critical of his or her country for failing to live up to its ideals.
For me, at least, the attitude that "America is perfect in every way" is the exact opposite of patriotism. To say that implies that we as a nation can never do any better. The thought that America isn't perfect - but can improve - states that the country hasn't yet reached its peak and there are still things for which we can strive as Americans.
We are the greatest & freest Nation on Earth.

Are we perfect? Of course not. We make mistakes, acknowledge them and correct our wrongs.
supporter
Agreed - so let's do the right thing with the detainees.

For example - why was it such an issue to release the 17 Uighur detainees, who were not enemy combatants, into the United States? If anyone deserves a free green card, it should be someone held involuntarily by the United States military for seven years.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (11/17/2009)]
supporter
Souix,

Thank you for a very thoughtful post. I've long wondered what the proper word was for those who wrap themselves in the symbols of a country without truly representing its ideals, principles and potential. Now I know - Nationalists. That term will come in very handy.

I understand the longing behind Heath's quest for the names of true patriots, but I think it is very hard to judge that in the heat of the moment. Let's leave the determination of patriots to history.

I'd be willing to settle for a few wonderful statesmen / stateswomen. George Washington, Abigail Adams, John Quincy Adams, Sam Houston, Robert Taft, Barbara Jordan, and Mike Mansfield to name a few. Now that I think about it, it's probably best to leave this task to history as well.

It would be nice to have a few recognizable contenders, though.
If anyone deserves a free green card, it should be someone held involuntarily by the United States military for seven years.

I don't think anybody's entitled to a free pass to enter our Country Bridgier regardless of the situation.
supporter
I nominate Emma Goldman.
supporter
Lee Greenwood
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17328) 12 years ago
Well, Heath....to answer your question....

I dunno.

John Wayne? He's dead. But he would have been my first choice.

Ted Nugent? Pawn of the NRA.....(which makes me really, really sad....)

I used to think John McCain....but then he ran for president, and that went out the door.

I guess....given the choices out there....I'd have to go with Brian.

My answer is: President Obama.

But that should not be construed as an unequivical endorsement.
In your estimation, anarchy represents patriotism, Bridgier?
Not in my estimation. If she had been contrite, even to a small degree, (which she wasn't) Goldman didn't fit the model. Methinks your "nomination" was facetious.

Among those who are relevant in the current political arena, who are patriots?
supporter
Bernie Sanders.
Daniel Berrigan.
Richard Loving.
Stanley Hauerwas.
Howard Dean.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (11/17/2009)]
Kyle wrote:
Are we perfect? Of course not. We make mistakes, acknowledge them and correct our wrongs.

You realize, Kyle, that by posting what you have, you have been written off the List O' True Patriots by the more virulent teabaggers among us, right?
I would say that anyone who doesn't feel the need to jump through anyone's hoops in order to be labeled a patriot is closer to being an actual patriot than those who hold the hoops.
You realize, Kyle, that by posting what you have, you have been written off the List O' True Patriots by the more virulent teabaggers among us, right?

I'd be worried if I were ON that list Brian.

If this is the measure of "True Patriotism":

then I'm glad I'm not one.
Spiral out, keep going, Kyle.
Clint Eastwood knows who the patriots AREN'T:

"[The U.S. is] becoming more juvenile as a nation. The guys who won World War II and that whole generation have disappeared, and now we have a bunch of teenage twits," the Academy Award winning actor and director told the magazine. "The world needs this kind of story nowadays. It's just ... everybody's so screwed up. It seems like our country's in kind of a morbid mood, because of the recession or whatever."

http://marquee.blogs.cnn....rbid-mood/

One would think that his interview would be full of warm fuzzies based on the cover, don't you think? He's shooting MIND BULLETS, yo. Yikes!
Clint Eastwood knows who the patriots AREN'T:

We probably will never agree on who or whom is a patriot. The standard is too subjective. Seems much easier to agree on who is not a patriot when considering Eastwood's opinions.
supporter
It's "who", Heath.
Thank you, grammar nazi.
Be nice Heath.
Kyle,
Thank you, thread monitor nazi. Only, what's not nice about thanking the grammar nazi?
supporter
No offense taken here, Heath.
None intended. Kyle must be out of bacon.
Kyle's out of bacon. Heath's out of his mind.

It all evens out.
No, THIS guy is out of his mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUMAN...0422378733

Check the hit counter. 35K and rising.

[This message has been edited by Heath H (11/20/2009)]
Dag, yo.
supporter
Some nice ol' boys decided to take in the old ball game today.

http://sportsillustrated....index.html
Posted by Todd Riddle (+79) 12 years ago
Watch the WWII film that is running on the History Channel right now and then ask yourself why our "Commander in Chief" is bowing to that Jap bastard.

Thats funny. . . . . . . . . .where did Jim go? Cant stand the heat in the kitchen?
supporter
Just happened upon this little nugget from H. L. Mencken today:

In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell.

True then ... and true today.
Todd wrote:
Thats funny. . . . . . . . . .where did Jim go? Cant stand the heat in the kitchen?

Let's just say that he no longer has the ability to share his unique perspective with the rest of us.