Am I dead?
founder
Posted by KELLY BABCOCK (+186) 11 years ago
We've all received the e-mails that unabashedly told us, that for one reason or another, we have been awarded $XXXX millions of dollars. Normally I immediatly delete these without a second glance, but for some reason I had one up on my monitor, that I read. It had the best line, I've evr seen, in it, and I thought I would share it. "We need to confirm from you, if it's really true, that you are dead." :/

We all know that these e-mails are a scam, but I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the purpose of them is? Other than requesting personal information, what are they trying to garner? What happens if one responds to them?

Over a decade ago, {when I was new and naive} I responded to one, that started with: An engineer with your last name was killed in an automobile accident, and left no heirs to his estate. If you are willing to claim that you are his last living relative, we can split several million dollars that he had left behind. I responded to this one, out of curiosity. I was told that after all the paperwork had been done, I would fly to some European country, to meet with a lawyer who would give me the cash. When I told them that I was very interested, and to go ahead and sent me 4 first class tickets, to Greece, and an advance of $50,00.00, {pocket money} I never heard from them again. I've always wondered what would have happened if I had tried to follow up. I know that there isn't any way, that the money existed, or that I could have received it, but if somebody knows what the scam is, I'd really like to know.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 11 years ago
Sure. The scam is that they either get your bank account info and wipe you out or they ask you to send some money to them to help with the expenses of getting this money to you. It makes no sense but some people fall for it.
Posted by Sharon Clarke (+76) 11 years ago
I've been in banking for many many years and it is truly scary how often people fall for scams of all types that involve giving out their bank account information just to see money disappear from it.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
Personally, from my perspective, the act of getting one's bank account info is rarely the goal, at least not these days - and wouldn't likely do much good because the bank account number isn't necessarily super-secret and not a lot can come from it on its own. There's a bit more along the lines of full-blown identity theft if one wants to be cautious to that end.

If interested, I've written a blog post and an article for a marketing magazine a while back. It's somewhat focused on a certain retail aspect but the generalities, I think, still pertain.

http://blipfish.impax-med...-or-legit/

It's one of those scams that starts a certain way, as we're all talking about, but the real fun is in the mutations it takes on over time as people get more hip to the old methods and the varmints try new ones.

Ever vigilant, ever vigilant.

[This message has been edited by Dan Mowry (11/14/2009)]