Country Music Awards
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
Last night my kids were watching the CMA awards. I guess some girl named Taylor Swift won entertainer of the year, at only 19 years old. I really don't know what to think about this other than it seems a little premature. Seems like you ought to be old enough to legally drink the beer you sing about before you win an award. I would have preferred George Strait, but he probably didn't stand a chance against some hot 19 year old with blonde hair and blue eyes. Maybe I am just old.

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (11/12/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Sheri (+226) 12 years ago
I also thought George Strait should have won. Actually anyone else that could carry a tune would have been nice! I miss "country music". What they now call country music should not be classified as such and Taylor Swift is not my idea of a country singer (and I use that term lightly).
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 12 years ago
Taylor Swift is "pop country" for sure. However, she sold more albums/song downloads last year than any artist in any genre and she writes her own music which is pretty unusual for country singers in general and 19 year old blondes in particular. I think that makes a pretty good case for entertainer of the year. George Strait is probably using CMA awards to gravel his driveway by now so I don't feel too bad for him.
Posted by polar bear (+509) 12 years ago
George Strait is talented but no longer edgy. He has won so many awards that there is nothing new there. Awfully traditional country for those of us who prefer pop country. This girl is gorgeous, sweet, can do comedy, can act, and has her personal act together. She is not a one hit wonder.
Posted by C. Wilkes (+140) 12 years ago
In my opinion if they play your music on MTV, VH1,BET, LMNOP or what ever pop and r&b station on tv, that should through you out of the running for a so called Country Music Award.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 12 years ago
George Strait is talented but no longer edgy.

Polar, George Strait was never "Edgy". He was (is) of the "Old School" style of country music which I find greatly refreshing.

It's nice to hear a country artist who thinks a Possum's much more than a nocturnal animal.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Richard doesn't know who Taylor Swift is? I guess that means we shouldn't tell him that we have an African-American President.

(From The Blues Brothers:)

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Bartender: Oh, we got both kinds, country AND western!

Shu wrote:
Actually anyone else that could carry a tune would have been nice!

Shu, since when has the ability to "carry a tune" been a requirement of being a country sanger? I mean ever. Seriously.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (11/13/2009)]
My great-granddaddy gunned down Lincoln wrote:
In my opinion if they play your music on MTV, VH1,BET, LMNOP or what ever pop and r&b station on tv, that should through you out of the running for a so called Country Music Award.

And in MY opinion, if they play your music on anything other than some AM radio station in the sticks to a listenership of more than five high-school educated people, then you should be out of the running for a CMA. YEE-HAW!

It's probably a good thing that neither of us has anything to do with who picks the CMAs, don't you think?

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (11/13/2009)]
supporter
Polar, George Strait was never "Edgy".

I agree. George is consistent, not flashy, and he never was. All he has done is crank out one hit song after another for about 30 years. He's never had a great stage show and never been in the newspaper really, but it seems like nobody can pick good songs and put together quality CDs like he can. It's pretty amazing really.

That said, I still don't think anyone in the music business has had a better year than Taylor Swift. She is a better song writer than a singer so it will be interesting to see how her career progresses. She doesn't strike me as the next Brittney Spears though. She really seems like a sweet girl so I can't help but wish her well.
When it comes to posts, Levi Forman is the George Strait of milescity.com.
supporter
HAHA! I'll take that as a compliment.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
Richard doesn't know who Taylor Swift is? I guess that means we shouldn't tell him that we have an African-American President.

I really don't care for most of what passes for "Country" music today, so I would have little reason to have heard of Taylor Swift. What little I am around a radio, I listen to talk or sports talk. I don't watch TV other than football or NASCAR. If I listen to music while working on my computer it is usually Dire Straits, Santana, Chet Atkins, Jr Brown, or Esteban. Musically, I am inspire by people who play really good guitar more that those who sing.
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+425) 12 years ago
Brian posted:

"My great-granddaddy gunned down Lincoln wrote:"

You came up with this because the poster goes by the name, C. Wilkes?

Is that some lame attempt at humor using death as the butt of a joke, Brian?

Isn't there a current thread that's engaging in a righteous indignation hissy-fit over jokes about killing people? Are you not one of the most hissy-fittingest purveyors of righteous indignation on that thread?

Can you now see where Chuck comes up with terms for you like "hypocrite"?

I can.

Morph your way out of this one, Brian. I can't wait to see what you become.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 12 years ago
How 'bout them Dixie Chicks?
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1670) 12 years ago
It's Entertainer of the Year, not a Lifetime Achievement Award.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1763) 12 years ago
"I don't watch TV other than football or NASCAR."- Well, that explains a lot.

Taylor Swift deserved the award, she's worked very hard, is quite talented, and has brought new listeners to country music from the pop side of music. It's good to see a fresh face, and hear a fresh voice, instead of the same ol' same ol' thing.

Anyone that thinks country ain't what it used to be is right. It has become more pop as can be heard from the likes of Big-n-Rich (Sp?), Brooks and Dunn (Sp?), Carrie Underwood, and the rest of the performers that are selling music and putting on concerts that are spectacles to see like rock concerts are.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1334) 12 years ago
It's all about the money. Taylor has the potential to sell more records in her lifetime than any of the other nominees. It's not about talent it's about money. It's similar to tobacco companies targeting kids with cartoons etc. Get them hooked young and they'll stick with you forever. That's what the music biz is about now. That's the reality of it.

Make Taylor a star whether she deserves it or not and legions of young fans are going to stick with her through millions of units sold through her lifetime.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 12 years ago
Hopefully in a couple of years she'll jettison her parents, become a coke-head, be seen in a limo with her hoo-hoo exposed, get married, have kids, lose kids, get divorced, get re-married, get kids back, have more kids, lose kids again, vote republican, get really heavy, get really thin, have a failed comeback, wear really bad wigs, and a few other things. That way the "kids" can spend their hard unearned cash on someone else.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 12 years ago
The vocal duo "Joey and Rory" nominated among some heavy hitters. Who the hell are they?

I've been doing country radio for 14 years and I have no idea who these two are.

If someone/some group is going to get nominated, shouldn't they be known to more than some flunky on the CMA board?
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+134) 12 years ago
I wish the Zac Brown band would have won a couple. I like their style. Taylor Swift didn't sound very good on the show.
Posted by Kimberly D. Reiger (+70) 12 years ago
Joey & Rory are a husband and wife duo who won that country show that Naomi Judd is a Judge on. They have a song called "Cheater Cheater" which is cute. They are the couple on the Overstock.com commercials.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1596) 12 years ago
Taylor Swift sounds like crap live-that is true- because a computer is not pumping out the jams for her. However, she does write some of her own music and she can play guitar, somewhat. That is more than I can say for 100% of her peers on the POP end of the scale.

Can you imagine Britney Spears setting down in front of a mic to play you an acoustic ballad looking like a white trash coke whore.
Posted by polar bear (+509) 12 years ago
There are people who have heard her live and thought she was amazing.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1334) 12 years ago
There are people who have heard her live and thought she was amazing.

And some people like Surströmming too. Doesn't mean it's any good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...C3%B6mming

[This message has been edited by Steve Sullivan (11/13/2009)]
Jimbo the All-Seeing wrote:
You came up with this because the poster goes by the name, C. Wilkes?

Holy crap! Your powers of deduction are mind-boggling, Jimbo.

Jimbo the All-Knowing wrote:
Is that some lame attempt at humor using death as the butt of a joke, Brian?

Damn, you're good. Yes, it is. I am also fond the term "dirt nap."

Jimbo the All-Powerful wrote:
Isn't there a current thread that's engaging in a righteous indignation hissy-fit over jokes about killing people? Are you not one of the most hissy-fittingest purveyors of righteous indignation on that thread?

Stop digging. You've hit oil, Jimbo!

Jimbo the Magnificent wrote:
Can you now see where Chuck comes up with terms for you like "hypocrite"?

Yes, I am aware of where Chuck comes up with his terms. But no, I can't actually see it. (I'd make a I'm-not-as-familiar-with-Chuck's-colon-as-he-(or-Heath-is-for-that-matter) joke for Heath's benefit, but I don't think any of you would catch the irony.)

I am also aware that Chuck probably thinks his dog is a hypocrite for crapping in one spot one day and another place entirely the next. (GASP!)

Jimbo the All-Seeing (still) wrote:
I can.

Of course you can. You're all-seeing. I think I acknowledged that. Granted, it's pretty easy to find the only thing you ever look for.

Jimbo the Constant wrote:
Morph your way out of this one, Brian. I can't wait to see what you become.

Sure.

Long response: Was my joke lame? Of course it was. But was I rejoicing in the concept of Lincoln's death by making the joke? Of course not. There's the difference, Jimbo. Dean seems to enjoy the concept of Nancy Pelosi being killed. At no point did I ever indicate that I enjoyed the thought of Lincoln's assassination.

But even if I did like the thought of Lincoln being killed, it's not like my thoughts are hurting him or influencing anyone who might take those thoughts several steps too far and interpret them as a call to action. You may not have noticed, but he's been dead for 144 years, Jimbo. I am not advocating having someone's life being taken from them. I'm not looking at a living, breathing person and thinking, "Boy, it sure would be great if that person were dead and it sure would be funny if I made a joke about it."

I know that you understand the concepts of subtlety and irony about as well as my min-pin, but I think you would do yourself a service by realizing that more possibilities exist in any particular situation than (A) or (B).

Short response: You're a moran, Jimbo. And what's more, your FACE is!

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (11/14/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
What?! They give out awards for this stuff?
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+425) 12 years ago
Brian replies:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Am not!

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Same old s**t.
Posted by tjh (+141) 12 years ago
Sorry, for once I am in favor of Brian, Jimbo is in the wrong. But I do have this to say, a Min pin? Really?
That's why I offered you the choice of a short answer, Jimbo.

You could have spared yourself the long response had you not been so damn idiotic in the first place. I hope you realize this.

TJH wrote:
But I do have this to say, a Min pin? Really?"

Technically, Zoe is Sister's dog. But she lives with all of us. It beats admitting that I still have my ex-ex-wife's teacup poodle, that's for sure.

Wait a minute ... D'oh!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 12 years ago
After seeing Junior Brown perform last night at the Alberta Bair Theatre in Billings, he should have been the CMA Entertainer of the Year!