supporter
Posted by cubby (+2603) 11 years ago
I ate up there a few nights ago and let me tell you since the new managment change the food was excellent. Any one else eat up there lately?
Posted by Mrs. P (+358) 11 years ago
Are they still open for breakfast after the bars close? Miles City really needs some place open 24 hours!!!
Posted by Mandi (+356) 11 years ago
No they quit that said it was not worth all the head ache.
Posted by jw (+127) 11 years ago
Who is the new management? I know they have a new cook, but has anything else changed?
bump
Posted by TALBOT (+256) 11 years ago
I was really surprised to see a TV Commercial for the 519 the other day (I think I was watching football). Anyway, this wasn't on channel 14, it was on a major network. Wow!
Posted by Jody K (+109) 11 years ago
Yeah, I saw the commercial last night while watching TBS! I had to do a double take when I heard them say Miles City, Montana.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11432) 11 years ago
Local insert. The ad probably runs on Midrivers cable. I have a satellite and haven't seen it.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1430) 11 years ago
I pretty much guarantee it's a local cable ad. It's not national.
Posted by jassar (+25) 11 years ago
when i first started to read this thread i thought another place was closing down. phew!. glad to hear the food is great.
Posted by Ms Dinger (+191) 11 years ago
One of my favorite places to eat in town! Love thier new menu and staff! Ill be there again Friday... or maybe tonight for wine down Wednesday...
What does Wine Down Wednesday entail? Do they have a good variety of wine?
Posted by Cole (+8) 11 years ago
Yes they do have a good wine list. And on wednesday they have a few select reds and white that are half price per bottle.
supporter
I'm curious - what constitutes a "good wine list" at the 519?

I know what *I* consider a good wine list but what's up there?
Posted by Cole (+8) 11 years ago
Well dan I guess thats why we are all entitled to our own opinion.... hmmm!
supporter
So, is the list guarded eyes-only? Or, can an opinion be formed by actually knowing what's on it?
supporter
No offense Dan but when is the last time you were up there?
supporter
It's been years - that's why I'm anxious to know what they have?
Posted by cheryred1973 (+198) 11 years ago
Well dan, come on up and try it out!!!
supporter
I wish I could!

I'm 900 miles away and probably several years removed from when Greg Zimmer was there in the kitchen making his masterpiece rare steaks (no wine) and dark porterhouse beer (if you can see through it - it's not beer!).

Sunday night was Trek night because Lori would let us guys turn the TV to watch classic Star Trek and eat at the bar.
Posted by Mandi (+356) 11 years ago
Dan wish you could try it now, the food is great and from what I hear the wine list is pretty good to (although I don't drink wine so I can not say from exprience). The service is pretty good also so if you ever do make it to town might want to put it on your to do list.
Who is cooking up there now? I was told Garth was no longer there. Has the menu changed with a new chef or is the old menu just better with the new chef?
Posted by tjz (+175) 11 years ago
The new cooks are awesome! I am not a wine drinker but I do love the food and a good cold beer. We go up there every week and there is no disappointment. Great place all around.
supporter
Garth is no longer there and I don't know who is cooking but the menu has changed and the foos is great
I think Brian Slunaker is cooking up there now, but I'm not sure. I may have to head up there this weekend.
Posted by R. Lundby (+23) 11 years ago
As far as the wine list goes - if you look under the directory tab on this site, you can find a listing for Club 519. Click on it and then you can find a tab for the wine list on their webpage.
Posted by Ms Dinger (+191) 11 years ago
i want a steak now reading this...yummy!
supporter
me too! a rib steak sounds really good
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16627) 11 years ago
Just reading threads like these makes me smile....

Okay, Dan, here's your wine list. Form your opinions!

http://www.club519.com/Wine_List.html

My opinion? Seems like a reasonably good wine list for Miles City....after all, we are talking Miles City, where most consumed wine comes out of a box.

It would seem, though, that the list could stand a good Brunello di Montalcino.
Posted by Della Haverland (+35) 11 years ago
I went to the 519 last weekend and let me tell ya...They are great!!! The service was fantastic and the decorations are so festive you can't help but enjoy it. I had the scallops and they were the best I've ever had!!! I don't know the name of the sauce, it had a hint of maple and they were to die for!!! My husband had the sirloin and it was cooked to perfection and had really good flavor. I would recommend the 519 to everyone!!!! The new management is really awsome. If you haven't been there yet, give it a try!!!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14673) 11 years ago
What Gunnar posted above is a "Whine-list".

THIS is a wine list: http://www.primeribgillet...opping.php
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+172) 11 years ago
I agree Richard. Any wine list that includes Yellowtail is hard to take seriously. Yellowtail at $24 a bottle? Not in my lifetime. I always enjoy the food at the 519, but that wine list needs some serious help. There is nothing on that list that is worth the asking price. Those are all "house" wines in a low class house. Go to any bar in Montana, and ask for red wine. You will likely get a wine from that list. Not to say they are bad wines, but they do not belong on a wine list in a place serving quality food like the 519 does. The list you posted is a world class wine list. I have had the good fortune to drink several wines from that list, and would love to someday tell you have I have sampled them all. A guy can dream can't he?

[This message has been edited by Matt - Schmitz (12/16/2009)]
supporter
Actually, that strikes me as a "grocery list."

Since it's been mentioned already I won't beat up any more on Yellow Tail. However, the prices and those wines (regardless of vintage) are grocery store wines with a few bucks tacked on top. I'm guessing whatever is on sale at the store that week is what is on that list plus $7. That's fine and not unusual.

I wouldn't write home about that list strictly on the merits of what's on it, though. It's a bit silly no matter what city it's in. It's a list. It's got wine on it.

However, what's most important in the end, if you like wine and you like a particular wine at the price you pay - it's a good wine. If you like it with your meal which was worth the price you pay... even better.

A Coke with finger steaks from the Airport Inn taste like a hundred bucks to me. Same goes for a Garth or Greg-special Sirloin from the 519 on a Sunday night before the kitchen closes. So, it's all relative.

What's in my cellar?

Quick glance at the bottom shelf: A 2004 Reilly's Dry Shiraz (Don't let Yellow Tail mess with you - Australia cranks out some nice stuff). 2004 Santa Margheritta Pinot Gri. 2004 La Gerla Brunello Di Montalcino that's probably corked but I'm holding on to hope, and there's always more than a few bottles of Bogle Petite Sirah lying around because it's a Tuesday, Detroit is in the playoffs, Josh got a new phone, or whatever excuse you need.
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+172) 11 years ago
Nice cellar Dan. I am not trying to come off as a wine snob. I like what I like, and would never presume to be more enlightened, regarding wine, than anybody else. And it's true Dan, if somebody like's Yellowtail wine, good for them. I've had a few bottles of Yellowtail myself, usually after my taste buds are satisfied by other "better" wines, and I am past the point of caring what it tastes like. No point in drinking great wine if you are past the point of caring. One of my favorite wines is Bogle's Old Vine Zinfandel. I think it's $12 a bottle here in Bozeman. I guess the point I never made very well is that good wine does not have to cost your first born to purchase. Having said that, I had the great fortune to attend a friends 50th birthday in Sacramento a few years ago. We opened a 88, 89 and 90 Caymus Special Select at dinner. 3 of us. On the open market, well over $3000 for the 3 bottles, but all purchased for under $50 a bottle. Until that point in time, I never had a clue what very good wine tasted like. I know most of the words, yet I will never know the words to describe that wine. Simply beyond my vocabulary to describe that spectacular experience. It was unreal, and I will be forever grateful to my friends that allowed me to participate in that tasting. I think that was 3 years ago, and I can still close my eyes and taste those wines.
I still cringe when my sister in law puts ice in her red wine, and shudder when my dad tells me how he loves white zin, but I am trying to be more understanding when it comes to others choices in wine. I know what I like, and will drink that with a smile. But I will still insist that the wine list at the 519 could be easily upgraded without crossing the line into unaffordable. Try any bottle that says Ridge, or Steele on the label. Both could sell for under $50, and allow patrons to drink quality wine with their meal, and still produce a profit for the 519.
There is a Kuleto Estate Red Zinfandel available here in Bozeman Dan, for around $33 a bottle. Might be the best Red Zin ever to pass my lips. I put 2 in my cellar, which is actually a closet, to open at some time in the future. Look for it, and tell me what you think.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3717) 11 years ago
The problem with wine is that once you train your palate on the good stuff, you can never go back. I agree with Matt both on the point that Yellowtail is terrible and that there is plenty of decent wine available for a reasonable price. When I lived in Livermore, CA which has probably 30 local vineyards of it's own and is 2 hours from Napa I never paid more than $15 for a bottle of wine. Around here wine is less abundant, but you can still do ok without breaking the bank. I was surprised to find that the selection of wine in Miles City is much better than the beer selection. Beer is probably the #1 beverage in Miles City but 90% of it is Budweiser or worse.

IMO Robert Mondavi, Beringer, and Kendall Jackson are all decent, inexpensive choices so I wouldn't sneer too hard at that list but Yellowtail sucks and white merlot, white zin, and any other "white" wine made from red grapes is pretty gross. That might also be the first time I've seen wine from a box on a restaurant wine list lol, but there are getting to be some good wines sold in boxes so maybe the stigma is wearing off a little. It really is a good way to get wine if you just drink a glass at a time and want to have your wine last a while in the fridge.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (12/17/2009)]