Posted by Food Critic (+35) 11 years ago
I was in Forsyth yesterday and had the opportunity, or should I say misfortune of eating at the Hong Kong restaurant. I really can't see how anyone would go out of their way to eat there. It was bland, greasy, and very mediocre at best. My veggies were very over cooked and mushy, the meat must have been deep fried instead of seered in a wok, and there was an absolute absence of seasoning and flavor. My meal was not anything to exalt on MC.com. My companion felt the same way and actually left most of a meal uneaten, complaining it was oily, heavy, and flat. Thank goodness the steamed rice was spot on and filled our stomachs. :l

Perhaps our selections were not "the ones" to try? Either way, I won't be going back for the cuisine. The menu had quite a bit to choose from IF you know what you're asking for. I think they might do better with a menu that gives a description of what is in the various dishes, for those that don't know what General Tsao's Chicken is.

The atmosphere was that of a dated cheap Chinatown dig, complete with a few tacky plastic pagodas and fake palm trees- what's the deal with those anyway? The booths were comfortable, though the layout of the place was like some kind of afterthought- oh, yeah, we need someplace for people to sit.

On the positive side the service was respectable and the staff very friendly . The food was brought out quickly and was hot. The plates and flatware were clean.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2310) 11 years ago
Glad to hear I don't need to drive for better chinese food, cause we have the best here in town.
Posted by RS/SS (+37) 11 years ago
Not a food critic but had an interesting oriental experience in Butte a number of years ago. I was in town over night and asked some locals for a suggestion. Their tip led me to the PEKIN NOODLE PARLOR. It was downtown somewhere. It was upstairs and a rather small place. You sat in a little booth and they pulled a curtain across it for privacy I guess. I was near the kitchen and there was no English spoken there I could hear.
supporter
Posted by Sarah Peterson (+379) 11 years ago
The Pekin is in uptown Butte...not downtown. One of my absolute favorite places. Looks like a dive, but I dig the curtained booth and the food is awesome. It's a huge part of Butte's Chinese history, and is a main building entrance in the underground tunnels than run through uptown.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 11 years ago
The Pekin was one of the places we loved to go when we lived in Butte. It was an old brothel, thus the booths. Don't know if it was great Chinese but we loved to go there anyway.

Oh BTW Food Critic, "seared" is spelled with an "ea" not an "ee".

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (11/11/2009)]