Radio Station Billboard
Posted by Dave Golterman (+244) 11 years ago
Driving back to Plentywood from Billings yesterday, I exited I-94 at Miles City at the Fort Keough off-ramp. As I drove by the Eastern Montana Fairgrounds I noticed a large, colorful billboard for the Christian radio network headquartered in Havre that has a local transmitter.

Big deal you say. Well what made me go back to double check was a glaring misspelling. The word "Christian" was spelled "Christain" on the billboard. I'm curious how long the sign has been there and has anyone else noticed the misspelling?

Dave
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14506) 11 years ago
Must be a "creep".
Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 11 years ago
I've seen that sign many times. Never noticed that! Someone forgot spellcheck.
Posted by Leif Hope (+96) 11 years ago
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

That was hanging on a wall at a Tutoring place I used to take my son. They were kind enough to make me a copy. Still no excuse for not using correct spellings, but it explains why we might have missed misspellings.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10992) 11 years ago
That misspelling theory only works to a point. I am a very fast reader and when I see that misspelled stuff, it slows me down quite a bit. If you are a very slow reader, it probably makes no difference but for me, it is irritating in the extreme.
Posted by Leif Hope (+96) 11 years ago
I am a very fast reader, have to be in my line of work. It only slows you down if you read every word. I basically read for comprehension. But hey, different strokes...
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 11 years ago
That phenomonon only works if the person has a good grounding in correct spelling in the first place. That's the only way the brain could attach meaning to the letters in the first place.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (11/7/2009)]
Posted by Sharon Clarke (+76) 11 years ago
I noticed once that local MC bank had a mis-spelled word on their electronic sign out front. They spelled Home Equity as "Home Equiy". I kept thinking I should go in and tell someone, but then let it slip my mind. It was like that for at least a month
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4945) 11 years ago
Did you mean misspelled???

(Sorry couldn't resist)
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+15993) 11 years ago
The unfortunate reality is that most people associated with Christian broadcasting are knuckledraggers, so a glaring error like that is not the least bit surprising.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+598) 11 years ago
sic-em
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 11 years ago
It's an oligarhy I tells ya!
supporter
or so Glenn Beck says at least!!
supporter
Posted by Richard G Flor (+213) 11 years ago
Knuckledraggers? Spelled perfectly!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 11 years ago
What the hell are knuckled raggers?
supporter
Knuckle draggers
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9597) 11 years ago
I think knuckled raggers is far better . . . good one Wendy.
supporter