Shooting in Orlando, FL
Posted by Dorothy (+48) 12 years ago
I'm on my way to Orlando. Stopped off at my sister's place in Atlanta. Just heard that there is some nut that has shot at least 6 people in an Engineering firm or something in Orlando.

Is there something in the water? Golly gee, I think I will see if I can get a permit for concealed.
Posted by Nikki Logan (+289) 12 years ago
What about the shooting at Fort Hood. The man that was supposed to be helping our soldiers with PTSD went crazy with a gun and killed some of them, yet he survived!!
What happened at Fort Hood is a huge tragedy. I'm glad that nut survived, I want him tried, sentenced and hung. My only fear is that the bh's will find some excuse for his unexcusable act.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9195) 12 years ago
So what's a bh?
bleeding heart(s)
supporter
Well isn't that special.
I don't understand your remark, will you please clarify it for me?
supporter
It's a horrible tragedy all the way around - adding in pejorative asides doesn't help. I doubt you'll find many hearts (bleeding or otherwise) who'll try to excuse what happened.
I apologize for the bleeding heart reference. I'm sorry I offended you.

On some of the other boards I've visited today, I read comments that attempted to excuse the Major's actions because it had been reported he was being bullied with name calling. One poster went so far as to say that if the soldiers had received the necessary sensitivity training, they wouldn't have called the Major names. Others remarked had he been given more care he would not have committed the shootings.

Well, I'm off to Orlando. I'm glad to hear that the shooter there was captured.
supporter
Dorothy wrote:
I read comments that attempted to excuse the Major's actions because it had been reported he was being bullied with name calling. One poster went so far as to say that if the soldiers had received the necessary sensitivity training, they wouldn't have called the Major names.

Okay, so maybe I should have said, none of the BH's (or DFH's) on mc.com will rush to defend the Major.
Posted by hilinetransplant (+129) 12 years ago
sounds like dorothy is a WN.
But that shooter should be strung up by his NS.
What leads you to believe that I am a wing nut?
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Dorothy - Unnecessarily resorting to a presupposed, preemptive pejorative comment (i.e. "Liberals hate America," "BH's will find an excuse for the inexcusable," etc.) is a common tactic among teabaggers. For an example, read one of Jimbo's, Heath's or Dean's posts or read one of Ann Coulter's books (or just the cover).
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 12 years ago
Before this descends in to the usual suspects going back and forth like every other thread, I am very happy that apparently both of the shooters in these incidents were captured alive.

I have always wished that some of these people could be caught rather than committing suicide/being shot by police like they usually are. Firstly, it will be interesting to hear what was going through their head (through media interviews or psychiatric examinations).

Secondly, I think it lessens the appeal for others that might want to try this in the future. It's a lot more romantic to go out in a hail of bullets than it is to spend a few decades in jail while being excoriated in the popular culture for the selfish, cowardly, evil scumbag that you are and dealing with the families of the innocent people you killed. I think if these people are publicly vilified while they are still alive, it might make others less likely to follow in their footsteps.
exactly brian. Only a couple groups use the term bh's.
Posted by Leif Hope (+94) 12 years ago
Let me get this straight. It is ok to call Dorothy a wing nut and a teabagger. But it is not ok to call people that defend killers bleeding hearts?

It is perjorative to use the term bleeding heart, but not perjorative to use the terms wing nut and teabagger.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
Oh, I don't think that Brian nor hilinetransplant intend to use the terms wingnut and teabagger in any other way but pejoratively.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 12 years ago
LOL, Wendy, I agree...
wendy, i never said wing nut. or tea bagger
supporter
sounds like dorothy is a WN.

Oh?
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Leif wrote:
It is perjorative to use the term bleeding heart, but not perjorative to use the terms wing nut and teabagger.

I don't recall saying that I was being anything other than pejorative, Leif. I also don't recall saying that people other than teabaggers couldn't also be pejorative. Read what I wrote.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (11/8/2009)]
Why do you think that meant wing nut?
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+425) 12 years ago
I don't recall saying that I was being anything other than pejorative, Leif. I also don't recall saying that people other than teabaggers couldn't also be pejorative. Read what I wrote.

So then Brian, are you claiming to being as big of a douchebag as the people you trash for being "teabagging douchebags"?

This would be a side of you that no one has ever seen before.......

(and just so we're clear, I mean the admitting to something part)
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+406) 12 years ago
The shooting at Ft Hood took place about 1/4 mile from my unit. I had one Soldier in the building who witnessed the shooting, but was not physically hurt. He called us to let us know when it first happened. I had another Soldier (medic) who was pulled from an adjacent building to help provide first responder care at the scene. Some of my Soldiers went to the hospital and worked that day while my behavioral health Soldiers have been working all weekend with stress debriefings.

We spent several hours watching the news, listening to the sirens and watching the ambulances drive by while trying to ensure no one panicked. It was a shock to learn that the alleged shooter was a fellow medical officer.
supporter
Why do you think that meant wing nut?

It's a commonly used word on this site. What did you mean, then?