Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 13 years ago
Well, today I finally have maxxed Midrivers out. I have their FASTEST internet connection possible.

Why? I had purchased their HD DVR, but apparently our signal was not strong enough for HD, and I wasn't in the position to drop another 50 bucks to get it working.

So, instead I used this extra 20 bucks a month to them to go from 3mbps down, 1 mbps up to 10MBPS down, and 1MBPS up. The difference? a 3.5 GB file takes 1 hour to download now, versus the 4 hours it previously did.

Here's another example.

Say you wish to download a 5MB song from iTunes... On a 3MBPS down connection, which is downloading at 350kbps, it will take about 5ish minutes to download. Now, when i purchased a song, it took less that 60 seconds.

Cool huh?

Know what kind of price this speed comes at in Miles City, MT?

84.95 a month, for JUST INTERNET.

Yeah, comparison... Comcast 50MBPS down is just 45.99 a month.

Ripoff... Yes...

Worth it? So worth it.

What is your internet speed? Check it at http://www.speedtest.net

*It's slower than 10mbps right now because I am downloading a movie, and it didn't take all the speed to test it.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10019) 13 years ago
I got this after clicking the link ... and don't have any super duper package, other than a fairly plain jane HDTV one. Standard Internet access + HDTV cable costs something like $165 a month here (give or take a 5 dollar bill ... I'd have to look it up.) Pretty outrageous, really. Someone with FiOS will probably come along and put all these numbers to shame ...

You just put me to shame you jerk! lol
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 13 years ago
you can feel sorry for me Josh lol...

Oh Wow, where are you at Howdy?
supporter
near Volborg, Mt...that is thru Range Telephone and paying for their fastest connection lol....
Ouch.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10229) 13 years ago
jeez Howdy, must be nice living in the fastlane.

Good God hal... I feel for you! Must be hell trying to load MC.Com!
supporter
Oh wow Hal, now I don't feel so pitiful !!!!!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Oh I sometimes grumble about the slow connection, but there are trade offs for everything. But for the time being we don't seem ready to trade the elbow room we have here for a fast internet connection in a crowded place like Volborg ; -)
supporter
lol and we live 15 miles from Volborg next to the forest...can't even see a neighbor from my porch...
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15310) 13 years ago
I am supposed to have 8 mbps download speed. I will have to try this at work. Howdy's upload speed is faster than mine.

Run a second time.

This is connected to the verizon mifi

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (11/4/2009)]
supporter
Posted by john newcomer (+299) 13 years ago
Ouch guys. I guess I'll quit whining about my internet speed.

[This message has been edited by john newcomer (11/4/2009)]
supporter
for john newcomer, his numbers above.

Posted by Kari (+111) 13 years ago
[This message has been edited by Kari (11/5/2009)]
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 13 years ago
I'm not sure how to post the picture but I got a 19.02 download speed.

I'm assuming this is good
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 13 years ago
The government......

supporter
Kyle, you click on "copy direct link" on the image and then post it using the img with brackets...I redid mine this morning and got completely different numbers...guess my ISP is a morning person...

supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 13 years ago
Dang Richard I thought Bresnan was cable internet? That is weak for cable.

Howdy, is that DSL? We have been trying to influence Midrivers to get DSL out to us but based on that, it's slower than the satellite we have now.

The upside would be that it probably works when it's snowing which is not the case with WildBlue. Wildblue is running me $69.95 a month, but when the alternative is 24k dialup it doesn't seem that bad.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1350) 13 years ago
Not the government:

supporter
WOW J, that is awesome!! Levi that is DSL and it doesn't work when it's snowing either...Not a great alternative, but Range Telephone explains to me that I live so far away that that affects my speed....Don't have a clue what that means lol....

[This message has been edited by howdy (11/5/2009)]
supporter
Levi, Josh, in his first post, has MidRivers and is quite a bit faster than I am...Hey Josh, does yours work when it is snowing??
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 13 years ago
I have cable supposed to be 5 mb

Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 13 years ago
What do you make of the rating? I have 3 stars, so does J. Dyba, also Howdy. That is quite a variation.
Posted by Amber (+222) 13 years ago
Midrivers came to my office yesterday and installed a cable motem. they told me that DSL is being phased out and cable internet is going to be the standard. I really feel for those of you that are still running dial-up.
founder
supporter
sponsor
>>The upside would be that it probably works when it's snowing. . . .

All our telecom services are via satellite link and performance definitely suffers during the winter months. Levi, I'm interested in learning how WildBlue performs for you this winter.

= = = = = =

Lorin, the stars are consumer ratings of individual ISPs.
Howdy, it works no matter what unless their network fails, which is about once a month for an hour or so.
supporter
thats great but that is cable right??
Yeah, Cable. They put it in out here for us about 2 years ago and forced us to get rid of DSL. I'm happy. Hah
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+320) 13 years ago
Plain ComCast Cable Modem on digital cable in Boulder, CO.
15.5 Mb down, 7.5 Mb up. Seems fine to me.
Ken Z.
Posted by tim bartolovich (+121) 13 years ago
Mines download 5.51mb and upload 0.72 dont know if its good or bad
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 13 years ago
I had 20 Mbit cable when I was in California and right now it's overkill. You can rarely even connect to a server that will let you download anywhere near that fast. As HD video over the internet gets more popular though, they will be able to use it. Comcast has invested a ton in their network and they are really pretty awesome but they're expensive.