Angela Hot Springs
Posted by Bobbi Cozzens (+66) 10 years ago
Does anyone have any history on the Hot Springs that are out west of Angela. Went out there with the Boy Scouts today and would like to know some more information about it. I heard it was drilled in the 50's and that is about all I know.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+888) 10 years ago
Contact Keith and Margie Holmlund. They are working on Angela history and they have a lot of information about this area. Their number should be in the phone book. Margie also works at Murdochs in the shoe dept....
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9694) 10 years ago
My grandparents were part owners of Angela (there was a co-op or something). My grandfather mentioned the largest check he ever got, at one time, was one from the sale of Angela. My grandmother practically cried whenever we headed back up there later, due to her opinion of the land being ruined into corporate wheat fields. I don't have much more to offer at the moment, although I do remember going to those hot springs. I'll ask some other family members ... they know more than me.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1767) 10 years ago
Bobbi,

There's a book about the hot springs of Montana that gives a fairly accurate description and history. I've got a copy if you would like to borrow it. You know where to find me.

Chad.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13770) 10 years ago
http://www.deq.state.mt.u...angela.asp

The "Angela Hot Springs" really isn't a hot springs....it is a flowing artesian well. As you can see in the summary, it allows hot water from over 8000 feet below ground surface to be discharged to the surface.

When I read about this well many years ago in the cited report, it is water that comes from the fractured Madison Limestone (a Paleozoic Mississippian-aged rock formation). The source of heat is deep circulation with fractures and solution channels in Paleozoic sedimentary rocks - there is no shallow magma chamber or other igneous rock source (such as you find at Yellowstone) to heat the water.
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+380) 10 years ago
It's been thirty years since I was out there.At that time,the water came out of the BOP at a 90 degree angle under immense pressure.I remember thinking when the Blow Out Protecter finally rusts out,it's gonna spew straight up-look kinda like a little geyser.
Posted by trisha (+2) 6 years ago
would you recommend a visit here. wE are not looking for commercial hot springs so the ruggedness would not scare us Is there a way to get a trail map to get there?
Posted by Girl Scout mom (+111) 6 years ago
I would agree with Ken - the last time I was there it did look rather like a gyser. I personally would not go in it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14186) 6 years ago
Please get land owner permission if/ before you go.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1415) 6 years ago
Gunnar's link didn't work for me, but this was a nice reporting:

http://meganinmontana.wor...er-part-2/

FH
supporter
Posted by sky (+364) 6 years ago
As a medical person in Miles City from the 1970's until a few years ago. I have treated multiple patients with severe painful burns from trying to use these "hot springs" Many of them required extensive treatment and skin grafts. The water temperature varies greatly in different parts from warm to scalding hot. This is a very dangerous place.My advice is stay away I have treated the evidence.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13770) 6 years ago
So whose land is this on anymore? I would guess the Angela Farms, but I do not know. If it is the Angela Farms, access might not be as available as it was in the past, now that there are new owners since the link Frank posted.
supporter
According to the MT Cadastral Website it belongs to the Sunday Creek Ranch Company.
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+438) 6 years ago
So why was the well drilled? Prospecting for oil? Going deep for a more reliable water supply? Just curious.
supporter
Sauna and sweatlodge for the area speedgoats.
Posted by jwrmhs12 (+4) 4 years ago
So here's the story of the Angela Hot Springs. Sometime in the late 50's (I believe in 1957) my grandfather, John Roberts (no middle name) owned about 3 sections of grassland which included the current site of the Hot Springs. I was only 9 at the time but apparently he was drilling an oil well and found hot water at around 180 degrees. The land was sold at his death in a truck accident in 1961. I haven't been there since the late 1960's, but have heard that it is still going strong. My grandfather even tried using it for irrigation. They did put in a dam down the creek (which the named Clear Reservoir) which might have been the biggest body of water in that part of the country. We swam there as kids quite often.
+1