Posted by TK (+1627) 11 years ago
Ok, I'm not a big fan of fish, but I'm very curious and think I may try something new, but I want some input first.
I don't like catfish--YUCK--I also don't like fish that has that fishy smell &/or taste!
Specifically, this is what I have in mind:

1. Tilapia. I've heard that it's mild, but what exactly does that mean?

2. Mahi. I've heard it's better than tilapia, but what's it like?

3. Tuna. NOT the stuff in the can! Does it compare to taste in any way to the stuff in the can, though?

4. Salmon.

5. Swordfish.

Any help that would help me out would be great!!!
Thanks!
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 11 years ago
Levi wrote:
Tuna steak is nothing like what you get in the can. The canned stuff is cooked into oblivion. If you order a tuna steak it comes very rare, just seared lightly. It looks more like a beef steak than a fish fillet and tastes great.

As much as I hate to agree with Levi, he's right on with this take on tuna.

It's fabulous.
But isn't it dangerous to eat rare fish? Shouldn't it be cooked thoroughly? (I don't like sushi!!! )
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3716) 11 years ago
Another thing to keep in mind about fish is that any fish can easily be ruined by not being fresh or overcooking. If you're going to try it for the first time you might do it at a good restaurant so you don't wind up getting a bad impression of it because it wasn't taken care of or cooked correctly.

When you developed your hatred for catfish, was it some that somebody drug out of a river and cooked themselves? When I was growing up my only experience with fish was stuff that people caught and gave my parents etc. and I had a low opinion of it. Now that I have had good fish cooked by people who know how to cook fish I like it a lot better.
supporter
But isn't it dangerous to eat rare fish? Shouldn't it be cooked thoroughly? (I don't like sushi!!! wink)

You answered your own question here. If it was dangerous to eat rare fish, would sushi be so popular?
About the catfish---YES!!!!!!!!! I remember when dad would bring fish home, (even trout) and mom would cook it--it just stunk up the house horribly!

I think I may try tuna the next time we go out to eat at a nice place, but I am very leery about rare or even medium well. (I like most of my beef well done; except for T-bones and tenderloins--I like those just barely pink).

Also, if it makes any difference, I like crab legs, but don't really care for lobster and I don't like shrimp--I can't get past the texture!

I'm also curious yet about the mahi mahi.
Yeah, but isn't alot of sushi not true sushi because it's cooked (or even partially)?
I also don't mind cod and halibut.
Posted by Heath H (+645) 11 years ago
Nix tilapia. Much of the farm raised tilapia in grocery stores is raised on septage in treatment plants across the southwest.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8962) 11 years ago
Here's a pretty good rundown of sushi vs sashimi: http://www.slashfood.com/...s-sashimi/

The best part of my trip to singapore was coming back after work, stopping at the grocery store in the basement of my hotel and loading up on all of the reduced-price sushi (sorry, nagiri sushi) that they were trying to unload before closing time.

Anyone ever try skate? It's... different. Tastes great, but the texture is a little strange.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+522) 11 years ago
Mahi-Mahi is excellent when it's fresh, preferably caught that day. If you are ever lucky enough to try it then, go for it. I also really like Mako Shark or Thresher, but as I said before, fresh, not frozen. Halibut cheeks are really good out here and the steaks are too. Hit me up the next time you stop by the fabric table, we have a guy who gets us really good ones.
Posted by Marti (+13) 11 years ago
If you haven't tried it already, give Shark a try. I grill it with butter and lemon and it's great. Not fishy at all and somewhat the texture of beef also. I'm not sure you can get it there in Miles City, but maybe in Billings.
supporter
"Sushi" refers to the vinegar rice that they make all the various types out of. It can have fresh(raw) fish or not, be cooked or not, etc. It's all sushi.
supporter
Posted by john newcomer (+291) 11 years ago
How about walleye? Fresh is better with fish and you should be able to obtain some from a local fisherman with a little scrounging-or is it too late in the year to catch them out of the Yellowstone?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 11 years ago
Raw fish can have parasites in it. If you are going to go rare with your tuna steaks, make sure they are sushi grade. I won't eat rare fish myself but I'm not very brave when it comes to that stuff. My daughter loves sushi.
Posted by Sharon Clarke (+79) 11 years ago
I will take a nice salmon steak with an orange glaze, or grilled on the BBQ, or in a salmon salad, or in sushi....who am I kidding...I like it prepared many different ways!

It's by far my favorite fish.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1489) 11 years ago
I remember when dad would bring fish home, (even trout) and mom would cook it--it just stunk up the house horribly!

low odor, light taste trout recipe-

Clean the fish and cut off the heads, then stuff the body cavity with lots of fresh dill, lime slices, and a couple of pats of butter. Wrap with a few slabs of bacon pinned w/toothpicks. Grill for 10 minutes per side.

Even better with a sour cream and dill sauce for dipping fish/chips/etc.

I love to catch them, but don't like the smell or taste myself. I can deal with it when cooked with this recipe.

supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16563) 11 years ago
All you flatlander fish haters should just stay away from fish (stick to popcorn shrimp), and leave the serious fish eating to us chefly types. Don't try to cover up the taste with thick sauces.....just leave fish alone.
I think the first time I try a tuna steak, I'm going to request it well done, just to be on the safe side. I'm not too brave myself when it comes to rare meats. As I said before, I like most of my meats well done except for t-bones and tenderloins--i like those barely pink in the middle---
Posted by poisonspaghetti (+285) 11 years ago
Tilapia must have a really good PR agent because you see it used in all kinds of recipes and restaurant dishes. IMO it's highly overrated - not much taste at all and a soft, mushy texture.

[This message has been edited by poisonspaghetti (10/14/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1909) 11 years ago
I agree with newcomer - Walleye is very good - nice texture, not too fishy. You might also try cod or halibut - expensive but good and easy to prepare. They're both excellent poached or baked if you don't want to get too complicated.
supporter
People don't like Tilapia because it tastes good. They like it because it's cheap, and if you're one of those eco-conscious types, it can be raised on the waste of other farmed fish so it's good for the environment. It's not your most flavorful fish though.

Well done Tuna is a lot like well done steak. Dry, tough, and flavorless. But if that's what you like, more power to you I guess.
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+171) 11 years ago
The Mint in Belgrade has halibut as the fish special fairly often, and it is outstanding. They fly it in daily, and have several options for a sauce, and it kills. Every time! And you could cook walleye 57 different ways, and they will all be great. Try them both. You will not be disappointed.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+508) 11 years ago
Two words.

Fish tacos.
supporter
I think the first time I try a tuna steak, I'm going to request it well done, just to be on the safe side.

Be sure to get the bottle of ketchup or Heinz 57 with that.....

Seriously, why bother? Especially ordering it at a restaurant, where you are just going to look stupid.

You would be better off cooking it at home. Find out how you like it. If it is too rare for your liking, throw it back in the skillet for a couple of minutes more. Then, if you like it, order it at a restaurant. At whatever degree of doneness you prefered the best.

I am sure even Miles City gets tuna steaks in Walmart or Albertsons (not so sure about Reynolds).

Here is a nice simple recipe.

Pan-Seared Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks

Ingredients

3/4 cup sesame seeds
4 tuna steaks, 8 ounces each and about 1 inch thick
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Spread sesame seeds in shallow baking dish or pie plate. Pat tuna steaks dry with paper towel; use 1 tablespoon oil to rub both sides of steaks, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Press both sides of each steak in sesame seeds to coat.

2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just beginning to smoke; swirl to coat pan. Add tuna steaks and cook 30 seconds without moving steaks. Reduce heat to medium-high; continue to cook until seeds are golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Using tongs, carefully flip tuna steaks; cook, without moving steaks, until golden brown on second side, about 1 1/2 minutes for rare (opaque at perimeters and translucent red and cool at center when checked with tip of paring knife) or 3 minutes for medium-rare (opaque at perimeters and reddish pink at center). To serve, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Serve with ginger-soy sauce with scallions.

Ginger-Soy Sauce with Scallions

Ingredients

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 medium scallio, sliced thin
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9716) 11 years ago
With fish a few hours can make a big difference between something that is really good and something that is not so good. Even fish that is flown in fresh can't / won't compare with what it is like when it's actually fresh caught. "Fresh frozen" is likely the best choice for ocean fish, if you live in Montana. You'll likely eat a better product than something that's flown in "fresh".

But fish is something where you do well to eat local. Anytime you eat fish the same day it's caught, you are way ahead of the game.

Fresh caught pike or walleye coming out of cold water are hard to beat. Catfish caught early in the year when the water is still cold is good eats too. And don't forget the Ling when they are running.

Fish tacos are just plain good food - google for a recipe, pick one that suits your taste and give them a try.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+888) 11 years ago
I order the Ahi Tuna at the Rib and Chop house in Miles City quite regularly. I order it rare, because I enjoy rare tuna...and I also order my steaks rare. I would say though, if you order it well done, you might as well fry the canned stuff and eat that. I would tell them you don't want it overcooked....but with no pink. (A medium rare to medium) It won't be rubbery and gross....but it's not raw either. Mmmmmm.... paired with a sweet wine, salad with vinagrette dressing and the huge baked potato...makes a wonderful dinner. Agh, I'm going to have to go eat there tomorrow...
founder
Posted by Chad (+1768) 11 years ago
I grew up catching and eating wild fish from the Pacific. I like fish. The California industry while rich in heritage, was short in management. It's practically shut down now due to decades over fishing, and some habitat destruction.

I still enjoy seafood and fish, but I'd suggest taking a serious look at where your seafood is coming from. I would honestly not eat some of the stuff being marketed, especially the mass marketed stuff. Be it "fresh", frozen, canned, or otherwise. I'm no tree hugger, but check out this site before you make your choice:

http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=1521

Try to support smaller, local fisheries and fishermen when possible. Be aware of what you're about to eat and where it comes from. Keep in mind some fish is heavily laden with toxins and should be eaten sparingly.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+601) 11 years ago
I am commercial fisherman in Oregon. For the very best fish you can buy be sure it is F-A-S (Frozen At Sea) especially if it qualifies as IQF (Instant Quick Frozen) It is actually better than any fresh you can buy. The reason for this is, fish you buy as fresh is held on the boat in ice for several days then several more days at the plants for processing and packaging, then more time for shipping and then it finally arrives at your local store to wait untill you take it home. All of this time it is Even though refrigerated or iced it is degrading. To qualify as IQF we must have -30 degree capacity. So that means F-A-S, means Your fish is actually fresher, than fresh fish. to qualify the guidelines say To have the fish refrigerated within an hour, that is not always possible, but almost always close to that. We actually try hard to comply, because we get a higher price for our product.
Thanks Gunnar & spacekace--gave me some good ideas--
Thanks Lorin for the details on freshness!!!
I haven't seen anything about mahi yet though....any opinions about it?
supporter
Mahi is excellent. Sort of like a sweet cod. Makes an excellent fish sandwich or tacos.

I prefer to call it what they call it on the east coast....dolphin.

As noted previously, fresh fish is the best. Dolphin that I caught in the Florida Keys and grilled that night many years ago....wow.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 11 years ago
Grouper is my favorite fish. I'll eat it three times a day if I'm somewhere where I can get fresh grouper.
Nah-uh, Gunnar--you've got to be kidding, right????? Dolphins are too cute....(but then so are deer and elk....etc......)
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8962) 11 years ago
Dolphin's another name for mahi-mahi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi Rather confusing.
Mahi Mahi Also known as Dorado are not Dolphin. On the east coast they are called Dolphin fish. We seldom catch them this far north. If someone would explain how I can put pictures on here I will post a picture of one I caught this summer while fishing for Albacore tuna. It is one of the largest ones I've heard of caught this far north. They are very good eating. That same trip we caught a bluefin tuna and several yellow tail tuna, none of which are commonly caught up here. The Mahi Mahi is an absolutely beutifull fish, I took the picture within minutes of catching it.
supporter
Posted by Jon Boe (+149) 11 years ago
As Gunnar knows, Mahi-Mahi isn't dolphin, but a fish also called a dolphin fish and a fish in its own right, not one of those critters that gives live birth like Flipper.

Cod is great, so is halibut and fresh salmon (Copper River, etc.) not the farmed stuff. Tuna is good, but you have to cook it on the rare side or you are better off eating it out of a can.

I haven't found good shark, but being in Denver maybe it doesn't travel well. Same with swordfish.

I have to agree with two of the earlier posts. Get it flash frozen if you don't live on the coast, and two, if you don't like fish don't eat it -- leaves more for the rest of us who do.

Jon
supporter
Lorin, go to this site:

http://imageshack.us/index.php

Follow the instructions to load up your picture, then take the direct link ImageShack gives you, and place it in your mc.com reply within the img tags shown at the bottom of the Compose Reply screen.
Gunnar I clicked your link several times. It said cannot display page. Then I clicked the link below this message box for image shack and thought I did what I was supposed to but it didn't work either. If someone who is more computer savage would be willing I could email them the pic and they could post it.
Posted by mule train (+1048) 11 years ago
FYI...sushi is vinegar rice. It can be cooked or raw...with or without fish. Try the spider roll (deep fried soft crab) delicious!
I am fairly computer illiterate hope this works

supporter
Success! Next time, Lorin, check on a box in ImageShack to make the image bigger....I usually go with the 15-inch monitor version, Larry has this site setup to scale it back.
I figured it out, but the img came out way smaller than The pic I posted. I may have done something wrong the other pix I see on here are larger.
Ok maybee I have it sized now this is my deck hand Mike holding the Dorado moments after it was caught.

The first was a picture of my deck hand holding up the mahi mahi minutes after it was landed. It was frozen at sea as I described earlier. I did not sell this fish we had a big fish feed at my house. we had the Mahi Mahi, Blue fin tuna, Yellow tail tuna, Albacore tuna, and fresh caught prawns that a friend of mine brought. As with all the fish we catch notice the throat latch is cut, this is done to get the blood out while the heart is still beating.
This picture is of another deck hand dressing it after we got to town just before the fishfeed/beerdrinking contest I included it so you can get a idea of what the flesh looks like.
supporter
Nice pics! Excellent fish.

Now I am hungry.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+522) 11 years ago
Lorin, WOW!!! Yum! Yellowtail, bluefin, and dorado and beer.
Posted by mule train (+1048) 11 years ago
I'll be fishing in Hawaii a week from Sunday. We will be fishing for maui maui, marlin, and whatever else is in season. I understand the guide splits any fish caught 50/50 if under 100lb. If over he keeps the whole thing. The wife and I are hoping to bring back 50lb+ of maui maui. I'll post some pics when I get back.
Thanks for sharing the pics Lorin--wow! Can't wait to see what you post mule train!!!
So far, thanks to all of you for your opinions!
founder
Posted by Chad (+1768) 11 years ago
All that meat being left on the carcass after fileting is why I prefer steaking, less waste on a big fish.
Chad the carcass does not have to go to waste. If you like clam chowder you would probably like really good fish chowder even better. Simply make potato and onion soup Just before you add the milk/cream Take your chopped up carcass Throw it in the pot for about 3 mins Then pull the bones out scraping what meat remains into the pot discard bones add the milk & Cream. Walaa fish chowder. Good with any white meat fish especialy good with King Salmon/Chinook. I said good with any fish however since moving to Oregon and having an almost unlimited supply of fresh ocean fish there are very few fresh water fish I care for. All of my Ling cod, rock cod, salmon and Halibut carcass put in the freezer for chowder.