Train Derails in Miles City
Posted by Eric Brandt (+850) 16 years ago
Go to http://www.milescityvoice.com for story and pictures.
Sorry, coincidental hardware failure resulted in site down for half hour.
Please try again.

Thanks
Posted by Chris Choate-Raible (+13) 16 years ago
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the pictures..you did a great job! I am from Miles City and I got a call this afternoon from Mel Smith my friend who told me about the wreck. Good thing no one got hurt.

Have a great weekend!
Chris Choate-Raible
New cleanup info and pictures posted.
Improved the picture viewer too.
Also, reduced image sizes - should run a lot faster.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 16 years ago
Free time?
Perhaps...

I just got back from down there to get some night shots. There are literally hundreds of people there! I guess they have a lot of free time too! One gal is even prepared to spend the night!

New night shots will be available as soon as I lighten them up a little.

Eric Brandt
New page on the night crew with some night shots.

Just got a call from one of the crew. They are getting ready to start layiong track! It's 10 til 3.

Maybe they will make it by 6?...
Ok, I'm talking to myself here, that's not a good sign! Well, the site is busy anyway, so I assume i'm being read...

The first train passed through at 11:55 today. They're open. Not done, just passing trains. Cleanup will continue for a while.

I think they should have been more careful, they destroyed the grass!

I have a new gallery with the fresh pictures on it. I added captions. Go to "A New Dawn" when you get the to train wreck article.

http://www.milescityvoice.com

Eric Brandt
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 16 years ago
So will the MC fire trucks still fit under the underpass if all of the crossings are blocked? Seems like the city fathers ought take up this issue with BNSF while it is fresh on everyones mind.
That's a good question. I was unaware they did not fit. I will ask them tomorrow and let you know.
Posted by Dan Siegfried (+60) 16 years ago
Right now I guess they would have to take the interstate.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11888) 16 years ago
LEIGHTON BLVD crosses the tracks. Remember? Plus only 10th street is still blocked and it will open probably by the end of the week. Trains have been running, albeit slowly, since Saturday afternoon.

And don't forget! Free coal!

Amorette
I have an answer.

Presently, all of our emergency vehicles do fit through the underpass. Due to its older design, that also includes the airial truck - just barely. If in the future, we upgrade that truck, newer trucks are generally a little taller.

If there is a train crossing town, or is otherwise blocking all the crossings, and the underpass is blocked or flooded, then the interstate is our only option to get emergency vehicles to the north end of town.

Eric Brandt
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 16 years ago
That will work as long as they don't re-pave Main St again. Thanks for the info.
Posted by James Shaw (+37) 16 years ago
If anyone has pictures on the Derailment, please send them to me at [email protected]
Posted by Fred South (+167) 16 years ago
Does anyone know the date of the last coal train derailment there in MC? We lived on Missouri and 6th and awoke one morning to coal cars and coal spread in a wide area south of the tracks and just west of the depot.

Seems like it might have been in the late 1940s.