Historical books
founder
Posted by Darrell Petorak (+11) 20 years ago
I'm wondering if there are any books still in print (reprint) of the history of MC (or Custer County)? If so where would a person write to get copies?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 20 years ago
The local newspaper--The Miles City Star--did a series of articles that were collected into a book about ten years ago. While cleaning out their warehouse, they came across a bunch. They are $10 from either the Star or the Historic Preservation Office. I haven't shipped one so I don't know what that would cost but only a few bucks more. The other books I have are more architectural than "people" history. Gordon's Recollections--which are available on this site--are fascinating but out-of-print and do date to 1918 , which makes some aspects of them rather difficult since he locates old buildings based on the site of buildings current to 1918.
For some reason, no body has ever written a really good book on the history of the town, which is too bad, because it is fascinating. The Star book is pretty good, though, for a history of the years through the early part of the 20th century.
If you want one, let me know and we can work something out off-line.
--Amorette
founder
Posted by Darrell Petorak (+11) 20 years ago
Amorette,
Yes I'd like to get one of these books. You can email me at [email protected]
Darrell
founder
supporter
I'm sending Darrell the info. If anyone else is interested, the books are $10.00 plus $2.00 mailing.
--amorette
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 20 years ago
I'm interested in obtaining a copy of the book as well. I beleive you have my e-mail address, so please send the ordering information there. Thanks!
founder
Posted by Jordan Cornelius (+3) 20 years ago
Do you sell the books at the Miles City Star office?
founder
supporter
The Centennial Roundup is available either from the Star offices or me. The few remaining copies of the books on MC architecture are only available through the preservation office (me.)

The Star was cleaning out the basement and warehouse and found several cases of the Centennial Roundup and we are all selling them for the same ten bucks they were in 1987.

--Amorette
founder
I would be interested in picking up both books. Could you email the address and amount of payment to [email protected] Thank you for your time.
founder
Posted by Custer County Art Center (+9) 20 years ago
We have many copies of the L. L. Hoopes, M.D. book "This Last West" for sale at $39.95 plus s/h at Custer County Art Center <[email protected]>. This 1990 publication is an encyclopedia of 1876-1886 Miles City, M.T. people, geography, and related history; a great reference book! Good to see this interest in our history!
founder
supporter
Dr. Hoopes book is a work of love, too. Dr. Hoopes indexed every name listed in the Yellowstone Journal newspaper. If you are interested in early Miles City, it's a great reference. Plus just reading the quotes from Victorian newspapers are a hoot! Fr. Lindesmith goes to Glendive to give last rites to a drunk suffering from snake bite and find the gentleman in question curing himself with booze and in great shape!
It is an INDEX, not a history book full of analysis, but great reading for the curious.
--Amorette
founder
Posted by Rene' Mowry (+3) 20 years ago
I would love to have any books on old Miles City history. Please let me know the prices, etc. My family had 5 generations who lived in Miles City. My great-grandfather was a blacksmith at Fort Keogh.

Thank you!

-- Rene' Mowry
founder
supporter
Just contact the art center about the Hoopes book--their email address is in the message--or me at [email protected] for info about the Centennial Roundup and the architectural books.
BTW, what is your family name, Rene? Anybody with the Hoopes book or Fanning the Embers can look stuff up for you.
--Amorette
founder
If you are interested in any of these books-Recollections of Old Milestown, Dusting Off the Old Ones, Illustrated and Historical Edition of the Yellowstone Journal, etc., most of these can be found at bookfinder.com.

An original copy of Recollections of Old Milestown usually runs around several thousand dollars, but Ken Crawford Books did a reprint in 1981 that put another 199 copies into circulation. These usually run anywhere from $20-$75 depending on the # of the book. The one I recieved is very true to the original. The other books are priced according to the condition of the book. They are not getting any cheaper I can tell you.

A few other books you may look into are The Frontier Years & Before Barbed Wire, both by Brown & Felton, I think. The Frontier Years does a pretty good job of explaining the conditions around Miles City and the surrounding area during the pre-1900 years. Both, also contain a lot of L.A. Huffman's pictures.
Jordan Cornelius
founder
Posted by Rene' Mowry (+3) 20 years ago
Amorette,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also checking out Jordan Cornelius' advice. I remember seeing a couple of these books at one time or another, since I've always been interested in Miles City's history.

You may know my great-aunt Sadie Baber. (The family calls her simply, "Auntie.") She was formerly Sadie Steen and was my grandfather, Roy Steen's, sister. She's one of the most interesting and fascinating people I've ever known and my family adores her.

Thanks again, and keep up your good work!

René Mowry
founder
Posted by J A Brambilla (+1) 20 years ago
Annorette,
I would like a copy of the book done by The Miles City Star. Please e-mail with the information.
E-Mail: [email protected]
J A Brambilla
founder
supporter
For the record, I have one copy of Miles City: An Architectural History, about fifteen copies of Beautiful City of Miles, lots of Centennial Roundup and Dr. Hoopes This Last West at my office. All but the Dr. Hoopes are $12 including shipping to the Miles City Preservation Office, 907 B Main St. Miles City, MT 59301. Dr. Hoopes is $39.95 plus shipping or $45.00 in round numbers. It is hardbound and big.

My mother--who wrote many of the CR articles for the Star and edited the series when it was in the paper--was rereading a copy I had left out at her house and was telling me at dinner last night how much she enjoyed it! And none of it was new to her!

--Amorette
founder
Posted by Yvonne Chau (+2) 20 years ago
Hello,
My name is Yvonne Chau. My Father, Kenneth Feeley resided in Miles City his entire life, before joing the Army at 17. My Grandparents, Emily and Joseph Feeley are buried there in Miles City. The reason I am writing to you is, I would like to know if you know where I could purchase a book entitled "Centenial Roundup Miles City 1887-1987". I was visiting my parents here in San Diego, where we have lived since 1963, and my dad showed me this book. His brother Robert (Bob) Feeley brought it by for him to look at, and he has enjoyed it very much. My dad will be 80 this November, and I would dearly love to give him his own copy. Thank you very much!

Yvonne
founder
supporter
We have them at the Miles City Preservation Office, 907 B Main Street, Miles City, MT. They are $12 including postage. Send a check to the Miles City Preservation Commission at the address above and I'll mail a book out posthaste.

--Amorette
founder
Posted by Matt Smith (+2) 20 years ago
We have 2 or more neat books coming up a the
Edward Santero Estate Auction this Sat. Sept. 15th, 10 AM 1318 N. Custer, Miles City

"Before Barbed Wire" and "Custer Country"
Absentee bidders welcome inquire at 406-232-9341
We have sold a few "Before Barbed Wire" books in the past they average from $65-125. per copy at auction.

Thanks, Matt Smith / Auctioneer
founder
Posted by Michael Wyman (+7) 19 years ago
Hello
I would like to obtain one of the histories of Miles City; are there any still available?
Michael Wyman
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 19 years ago
Yup. I still have copies of Centennial Roundup and they are still $12 including postage and I'm still at 907B Main St. Miles City MT 59301. My email is [email protected] thanks to our webmaster!

Let me know or send me a check and I'll get one in the mail pronto. Before Barbed Wire and The Frontier Years are usually up for big on eBay. Search under "Huffman."

--Amorette
founder
Posted by JEANNE M BOLE (+32) 19 years ago
DEAR AMORETTE.
I RECEIVED MY BOOKS LAST FRIDAY I DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO
LOOK THEM OVER TILL WE GOT BACK FROM A LITTLE TRIP WE
TOOK. BUT NOW I HAVE AND I THINK THEY ARE WONDERFUL.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SENDING THEM SO PROMPTLY.
JEANNE BOLE
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 19 years ago
Glad you liked them! Be sure to look up "Jerry the Bum" in "This Last West" i.e. the Hoopes book. It is my favorite entry.

Lots of Centennial Roundup still available and some Dr. Hoopes and Beautiful City of Miles, if anyone cares.

--Amorette