Seattle Mariner Fans!
Posted by TALBOT (+249) 13 years ago
This happened on Sunday 10/4 but I didn't know how to post it until today. It's really hard to predict anything in baseball, so to me this is amazing.
http://seattle.mariners.m...p&c_id=sea
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3743) 13 years ago
Mike Blowers is a hack. I read the article earlier and he didn't really predict anything so much as he used simple logic and a bit of dumb luck.

As is typical for Seattle and Mariner fans in general (as evidenced by this post) they're crowing about this to no end.

Too bad they just can't predict success.
Posted by Jason Miller (+213) 13 years ago
What a great link...!! I haven't had the time to watch the Mariners like I normally do but how cool was that. Sitting here studying and then, the perfect break...:-) Thanks for posting.

And for Kyle, get a life. I can only speak for myself, but couldn't care less what you think on any subject with posts like that.
Kyle,
I am not a Mariner Fan (my wife is). I am a Dodger Fan. If Blowers were to predict that Tuiasosopo was going to hit a home run in the game, that would be easy. He predicted that he would hit the home run in his 2nd at bat, on a 3 and 1 count, that it would land in the 2nd deck in left field and the pitch would be fastball. I'll even give you the 3 and 1 count (hitters pitch), Left field (right handed hitter) and the Fastball (everybody knew that was coming) but saying that it would come in his 2nd at bat and in the 2nd deck, that's what makes it special. Try it sometime and see if you can do it.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3743) 13 years ago
Talbot, that doesn't impress me.

In a nine-inning game the batter will get to bat roughly three times. In those at-bats, one of the following will happen:

1. A Hit

2. A Walk

3. A Homer

4. An Out

However that happens, one of the above WILL occur. Given that it's fairly easy to say the batter will hit a home-run. It's also fairly easy to say that at some point a batter will get the "Hitter's Count" (3-1, 3-0 etc) in which the next pitch is usually a fastball down the middle.

Also I don't know if you've been to Safeco Field or not but here it is:

Saying that a home run will land in the second level is also not that hard to arrive at.

So "Predicting" that a guy will hit a home run to the second level on a 3-1 count off of a fastball is like the Infinite Monkey Theorem.

At some point it's going to happen.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (10/6/2009)]
Posted by Jason Miller (+213) 13 years ago
Kyle, you argue just to argue. Go outside.... it's sunny....!!

For everyone else, we can have our fun without this guy. Cheers....!!
So, Kyle,
Are you going to make a prediction in todays Yankee/Twins game and show us all how easy it is?