Buyer Beware -- or at least try
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+933) 17 years ago
Say, I want to order some ink cartridges, and found a site called "Buy Ink Direct". Now, before I give out my credit card number, I would like to know something about this e-business -- like are they legit, or am I going to find my card number posted on the cyber-bathroom wall somewhere. Where can I go to check on a business.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9809) 17 years ago
If I'm looking at the same site - the copyright on it hasn't been updated since 2000, I don't see any physical location or mailing address published on it, etc. IMO, I would avoid places like that.
founder
Interesting. I just got the e-mail ad today -- it wasn't from a web search.

Any suggestions on a good place to order ink. I hate not shopping locally, but man, $30 for B&W is fast draining the ink budget.

The deal is I am looking at HP 800 series cartridges. I find lots of sites from Epson, etc., but not Hewlett Packard.

[This message has been edited by Bart Freese (edited 12/3/2002).]
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15004) 17 years ago
You might want to take a look on www.pricewatch.com. Please, please, please don't do business with someone who spammed you in email. I wouldn't trust them for one thing and I don't want to encourage email spammers for another.

- Dave
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9809) 17 years ago
I would definately not do business with an unknown party that sends you unsolicited commercial e-mail (aka SPAM). What they're doing is essentially illegal, and that's not a good basis for a business relationship.

I would also be very wary of the entire "printer cartridge industry" -- it is a shady area filled with scammers.

If you go to google and type "HP 800 printer cartridge" in, and then tell it to search, then look on the right side of the page -- there will be a bunch of sponsored links for places advertising printer cartridges.

I do not know which if any are good, but if you go to a web site and it looks fairly professional, has a physical address and phone numbers visible, and has logos linking to online business rating services, etc. Then they are probably not going to rip you off.

I didn't look too much, but it looked like to me that a black printer cartridge for the HP 800 is basically less than $20 at a few places I looked.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Larry

[This message has been edited by MilesCity.com Webmaster (edited 12/11/2002).]
founder
Now, here is a case where the old Montana/Miles City trust thing is a problem. Too trusting -- like to think people are who/what they say they are. Fortunately, I had not placed any orders, and now am very glad -- especially since the old mailbox would probably be soon filled with junk. Thanks for some good advice, ma and pa.
Posted by Brandon Zeitner (+9) 17 years ago
Bart-

I would highly recommend using a site like http://www.quill.com/ or http://www.officedepot.com/

Quill is renowned for their low-prices on office supplies, and they even carry their own brand of ink for most printers that I must say is inexpensive and performs very well. I've never had a complaint about them. And to top it off, most orders are shipped FREE and arrive at your door in two days.

Hope this helps.
founder
Posted by Robin Gerber (+41) 17 years ago
I agree with Brandon, I use Quill and have never had any problems!!
founder
Posted by salli starkey (+71) 17 years ago
Bart - I know time has passed, but try azink.com they beat Quill prices, tho I use Quill for most of my office supply... but azink.com beat them on ink & toner. Your name is very familiar.. Custer High in the mid 60's ??
Salli Scanlan here. Hi
Posted by Ted Schmidt (+68) 17 years ago
I was dubious about trying to find ink cartridges for my Epson printer, but after having poor results locally went to 3inkjets.com and got a pair of cartridges that have been working very well for less than the cost of just one cartridge locally. I believe in buying local, but I can't see buying something that is no good.
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+315) 17 years ago
My wife uses a high end Epson printer in her work. She orders her cartridges from amazon.com. The price is right, the service fast and dependable, and the company is a known entity. Use a credit card so that if there is a problem you can cancel payment.
Ken Ziebarth
Posted by Stuart Brown (+8) 17 years ago
Bart et al,

First, HI Bart!

I use "gotink4u.com". Fantastic prices, service, etc. They also offer school programs, etc. Thier ink is NOT OEM (i.e. it is "generic"). Many folks are afraid of buying non-brand name....Don't Be!! I have used non-Canon ink for years for all printing needs plus extensive digital photo printing with 100% success. Our company has done quite a bit of research on ink, and I can assure you----save the money.

Cannon and Epson cartridges can be had for very cheap as they are not patent protected.

HP and Lexmark are protected and all you can buy for them are "remanufactured" cartridges. You save a little but not nearly what you can save for Canon/Epson.

Stuart Brown