Cable or DLS internet
Posted by Septimius (+65) 12 years ago
Currently using DSL.. not sure if I am liking as much.. Trying to decide if I want to switch... can save 20 bucks by switching AND getting the 10m download...

What are some opinions and thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

ps.. Love ya Babe! (you know who you are)
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 12 years ago
Major downfall of cable internet.. You are "sharing" it with the whole neighborhood. In the since of it goes through/past every home on the way to yours, and lets say someone is using a bunch of bandwidth in the home next to you, your internet will slow. If you have DSL, this does not happen.
founder
Posted by Larry Antram (+183) 12 years ago
DSL has similar bottlenecks.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 12 years ago
True, although DSL is better if you are closer to the main center.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
I had DSL. I switched to cable. I really like cable and would not switch back unless something drastic happened.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 12 years ago
Midrivers called us and said we'll be there tomorrow to switch. We weren't given an option. I actually think my DSL might have been faster but I have no proof and it is certainly as fast as my elderly computer can handle.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 12 years ago
Cable is better. That bottleneck stuff is just DSL company propaganda. 99% of the time cable is faster than DSL. If it's cheaper too then it's win-win. Both of them are better than satellite which is what I have now but when you live in the boondocks you take what you can get.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
"Both of them are better than satellite which is what I have now but when you live in the boondocks you take what you can get."

At least you have the "boondocks".
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17044) 12 years ago
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1437) 12 years ago
Yah, with dark fiber you could live next door to Josh while he downloads all nine seasons of "Bongo's House of Whoopie" torrents from the Spice Network while playing Crysis and still get good up/down.