New Restaurant coming to Miles City!
Posted by A Former Miles City Resident (+22) 12 years ago
I am thinking about coming back to Miles City and opening a Chik-fil-a franchise in town. My former college roommate from ORU has several franchises in the Dallas area. He's gonna give me a screaming deal to come into Montana!

What's empty now that would be a good place for a Chik-fil-a?? I hope y'all like Fried Chicken!!!
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 12 years ago
The KFC closed down so I don't know what that would mean for a new fried chicken place...maybe nothing if the KFC just had lousy financing or something...
You can't compare KFC and Chik-fil-a! That's like comparing beer nuts with filet mignon.
supporter
LOL...Ok good...Not familiar with it at all, obviously...
supporter
Posted by skoh (+333) 12 years ago
That would be awesome!!! I really hope you will do that. I'm sure that there is somewhere empty that would be a suitable place. The Chamber could probably help with that. Wonderful food!
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 12 years ago
I would never discourage anyone from showing an enterprising spirit and will by opening a business...even in hard economic times like these, and even in a place like Miles City, where restaurants close often.

So, I will leave it at this; good luck, and I'll stop-in to the Chick Fila when I'm next in town if it's still open then.
I was thinking of building it near Riverside Park. I think that side of town could really use the economic development.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1664) 12 years ago
The reasons for the KFC closure would have nothing to do with whether or not another chicken establishment would be profitable. It certainly was not because of lousy financing.

Best of luck to you! We would definitely love another eating establishment in town.
Posted by polar bear (+515) 12 years ago
Miles City could really use a healthy place to eat with healthy food. I am not acquainted with this but I cannot find a decent place to eat in Miles City if I want to eat healthy and stay on my lifestyle diet.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 12 years ago
Posted by Scott (+260) 12 years ago
Well! I will let ya in on a little secret. Down by Riverside Park is a beautiful location...But, beauty doesnt sell chicken Fillets, right? You need to be thinking near the interstate or on Haynes Avenue if you want to make a go of it. Sure, you could probably make some money on the west end of Main St. but your not going to make a killing like you would on Haynes. There is a reason all of our quick service food establishments are all on that road. Other than that, great idea. Good luck
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 12 years ago
Please do not open another fast food chain restaurant in Miles City.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2737) 12 years ago
I can confirm that KFC and Chik-Fil-A have nothing in common beyond the basic ingredient. Besides wonderful food, Chik-Fil-A has the best billboards since Burma-Shave. They make me LOL everytime - or at least smile.

Good luck! And please don't prematurely give up on your idea of locating near Riverside Park or somewhere in the vicinity of Downtown. There are several locations that would be convenient to MCC, Custer County High School, and downtown/west end employers - and their money is just as green as tourists' and truckdrivers'!
supporter
Train depot? :ducking:
supporter
Wendy - our fast food places right now consist of McDonalds. Wendy's and Dairy Queen do not qualify because - well - they're not fast, at least not here. I literally spent 25 minutes in line at Wendy's last week - and it wasn't even a long line! And after that long wait I ended up with a bacon double cheeseburger even though I ordered a chicken club...

Chik-Fil-A provides high quality, well prepared food that, in all previous visits, was served fast and piping hot. If someone wants to build one here, I think the community will welcome them with open wallets.
supporter
Richard - Not a good idea! igeonpoo:
supporter
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 12 years ago
Wendy doesn't even live in MC FWIW. NIMBYing from 2 states away has to be some sort of record .

I have only seen Chik-Filwhatevers in malls. It seems like they had a lot of chicken sandwiches. Do they have fried chicken as well? There's only the grocery store delis for fried chicken in MC right now.

I would kind of agree though that Haynes Ave. is the place to be for the fast food crowd even though I would like to see more businesses downtown.
Posted by hoozi (+106) 12 years ago
I would just like to mention that the Yellowstone Tavern in Miles City has Awesome chicken dinners at a reasonable price! Broasted, but, none the less delicious!!!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11898) 12 years ago
We were in the depot today under the supervision of Bob the BNSF guy. That place is in astonishingly good shape. Needs a tidy and a new roof and windows but NO structural damage. NO water damage. Floors, walls, ceiling, need cleaned and painted but it would be a great place.

Not for a year or so but wow! the possibilities.

Never heard of the chicken franchise. Ate KFC sometimes for convenience. Any decent addition to the few places we have would no doubt be welcome.

And remember, neither Seabeck's nor Mexico Lindo are anywhere near Haynes Ave. and they do quite nicely.
supporter
True, but they are offering something special worth driving across town for. A fast food place is not really in that category IMO. It's got to be convenient or people will just get their chicken sandwich at McDonald's instead. I looked them up BTW and they don't have fried chicken, just sandwiches, strips, and nuggets.
supporter
What kind of cave does one live in that they have never heard of Chik-Fil-A?
Posted by Scott (+260) 12 years ago
I agree Levi. I worked in fast food management for many years and have been to many corporate schoolings and there is a reason they are built where they are. If im traveling and want a chicken filet, Im probably going to go to the closest place. Downtown needs the business but all he would get is the locals and trust me 8,000 people cant support a "specialty" fast food restaurant. Dont get me wrong, I would love to see it but would like him to prosper as well and not go broke and have to keep borrowing money from the bank to keep the doors open.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 12 years ago
The last few times I ate at Chik-fil-a (last month and then the month before) it was at the mall. I chose it because the lines at Taco John's and Subway were too long.

It's good, it's fine. I enjoyed it well enough.

I'm all for someone being really enthusiastic and drinking corporate kool-aid for a franchise they want to get in on but seriously... I'd say the difference between KFC and Chik is more like hamburger and much better hamburger.

Of course, some people's standards would consider Applebee's to be "fine dining" if sufficiently deprived of other choices.

It's good but it's not THAT good.
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+192) 12 years ago
I'm trying not to be negative, especially since my opinion is based more on impressions (but not just mine) than experience, so let me add this. The Chik-fil-a seems to attract upscale women more than the general population. It looks like the personal investment is much less than other franchises, though.

Too bad Panda Express isn't expanding beyond the South yet.

I wonder how a Chipotle's would do? (they are like the Subway of burritos, you tell them how to build while you watch. The burritos are pricey, but they are also as big as your head, so share or save for leftovers.) I doubt they would accept MC as a market, Cheyenne seems to the smallest market they are in.

Souper Salad might go well in MC. This is an all-you-can eat buffet, with very large salad bar, about 4 soups, and an assortment of cheap pizzas, wraps, muffins, potatoes, dessert bar, etc. The waitstaff keeps your drinks full and works for tips. I think it would do well in MC because it provides variety and good value.

As an item of interest, here is what they recommend for investment:

The initial franchise fee for a single Souper Salad Restaurant is $29,500. The estimated initial investment required for a Souper Salad Restaurant, including the initial franchise fee, will range from $575,700 to $865,200. These sums are intended to be a reasonable guide, and do not include real estate lease costs. There will be other costs as well. Our minimum financial requirements are $150,000 in liquid assets and $500,000 in net worth, either individually or within the partnership. These sums are intended to be a reasonable guide, and do not include real estate lease costs. There will be other costs as well.

Perhaps a BBQ franchise like Dickey's (probably not in their territory).

CiCi's Pizza?

One of the combo Taco Bell / Pizza Hut / KFC?

Is there still a Little Caesars in town?

A multi-ethnic restaurant downtown, with a mixed price point menu would be a welcome addition, but there are only a handful of people in the world that could pull it off. This would avoid the franchise fees, and one could remodel an existing location with less expense.
supporter
If I was going to pick a chain restaurant to move to MC I'd say Popeye's. I love their chicken.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 12 years ago
...and biscuits.
Posted by Chris Choate Raible (+39) 12 years ago
We go to Chik-Fil-A here in Phoenix and the food is great and always served hot. The chicken is whole, white meat chicken and they have tasty sandwiches and nuggets too. Great waffle fries. They have good milk shakes also. They serve carrot salad with raisins as one of the sides and I think they may have a fruit cup too? Not sure. They also have chicken noodle soup.

So for all of you with the opinion that MC doesn't need another fast food restaurant this one is a cut above.

Good luck to you if you do decide to open up a location and we will visit it when we make it home next time.

Chris
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1278) 12 years ago
Jim I don't know what "south" you refer to, but Panda Express is expanding all over in CO. 'Course, that is "south" of MT.

Chipotle is a CO company, they might make some migrations north, no stores in MT yet. But I don't like them near as well as my next choice.

My favorite vote, and one probably not many have heard of, is Qdoba. It is by far one of my favorite places to eat. And very healthy. Also Denver based. However, the franchising requirements of area traffic of 10,000 a day and residential population of 15,000 within 1 mile of the store kinda blows MC out of the water.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2734) 12 years ago
"One of the combo Taco Bell / Pizza Hut / KFC?"

Ken Taco Hut

Personally, I'd rejoice over a Rubio's. Love those fish tacos! I'd even be happy with a Pickle Barrel. Mushroom steak...yummm.

[This message has been edited by Kelly (9/6/2009)]
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+889) 12 years ago
MC had a taco bell/pizza hut combo. The taco's didn't make the cut and that portion closed... I miss those gorditas! Pickle Barrel would be amazing! But, I'm voting for a Burger Bob's/Fudruckers type of establishment downtown...with a nice patio for fine outdoor summer dining. Nothing better than a huge juicy burger, with a condiment bar and fat onion rings...
supporter
Levi,

I was going to eviscerate you for your rude comment to me but then you redeemed yourself when you mentioned Popeye's. Woe to anyone who has not bitten into a spicy, crunchy Popeye's fried chicken thigh. Drool . . . I'd come to Miles City more often if it had a Popeye's.
supporter
Yeah, the biscuits are great too. I always put honey on my biscuit, then ate all my other food, and by then the honey had totally sunk into the biscuit and it was the best thing ever to finish off the meal.
Posted by MollieP (+129) 12 years ago
Levi...biscuits are best with chokecherry syrup...heehee

Do they serve SPinach at Popeye's?
supporter
I'm not sure about spinach. I think they do offer greens, tho. But who wants to waste a side selection on that when you can have Dirty Rice or Red Beans & Rice instead...
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+172) 12 years ago
The Burger Bob's in Bozeman puts out one helluva burger. But Fuddruckers? I'd rather eat a hockey puck. In fact, I am quite sure I was once served a puck at Fuddruckers. They compress the burgers so much that there is not a drop of juice to be found. They crush the life out of every burger. If there is no threat of juice dripping onto my clothes, I will never eat there again, and sadly, Fuddruckers is at the head of that list. It's too bad. The business model appears to be sound. Hopefully it's just the cooks in Bozeman that destroy every burger they touch. I'd hate to think it's company policy. It is actually possible to cook a burger well enough to avoid any threat of E-coli, yet have a juicy and flavorful burger.

[This message has been edited by Matt - Schmitz (9/6/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1910) 12 years ago
I agree, Matt. I've never had a very good burger at Fuddrucker's - especially for the price. They always seem to have gristle or something in them. Now Red Robin makes a good burger.

We're getting, or just got, a 5 Guys Burgers and Fries here in Missoula. I've heard they're really good.
supporter
I've had 5 Guys' burgers and they are pretty good for fast food burgers. They won't beat your own grill but they're good.
Posted by spike (+55) 12 years ago
If you want traffic you need to be on S Haynes. As of June of this year the traffic count was 10,800 per day on Haynes. Miles City has a trade area of 28,000 people. I have a great location for you should you decide Haynes is the spot. 406-951-1254 or 406-595-7417 Good Luck and Welcome!!
Posted by Dan Siegfried (+60) 12 years ago
5 Guys is one of our favorite burger places. Good burgers and so many fries you're almost required to have someone to split them with. I didn't realize they had franchises so far all over the country so fast. It was only about five years ago that you could only get them here around the DC metro area.

Another great burger place is Foster's (Home of the Charburger). They have been giving 5 Guys a run for my burger money.

Also, one of these just opened nearby but I haven't got a chance to try it yet. Seems a little more "upscale" than what I'm personally looking for in a burger... http://www.thecounterburger.com/menu/

Overall, if I am going to go out for food, burger places are some of my favorite places to go.
supporter
"I'm trying not to be negative, especially since my opinion is based more on impressions (but not just mine) than experience, so let me add this. The Chik-fil-a seems to attract upscale women more than the general population."

And this is a bad thing how??
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+889) 12 years ago
...I guess I was just more obsessed with the endless possibilities re: the condiment bar at Fuddruckers, than their dry burgers. I didn't think mine were too bad, but agreed, they do not compare to Burger Bobs!
Posted by V (+174) 12 years ago
THAT IS TOTALLY AWSOME. A CHICKEN PLACE WHOO HOO
supporter
Somehow I doubt that more "upscale women" (whatever that means) will move to Miles City just because it has a Chik-fil-A.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2734) 12 years ago
"upscale women" = high maintenance
supporter
Somehow sitting in Chik-fil-A watching upscale women seems entertaining.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (9/7/2009)]
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+172) 12 years ago
There is at least a dozen really funny jokes floating around inside my head right now, and I am very sure it's in my best interests to leave them all there.

[This message has been edited by Matt - Schmitz (9/7/2009)]
Posted by Dave Golterman (+236) 12 years ago
I've never eaten at a Chick-Fil-A, but I've heard of the chain. And I've heard good things about the food and the corporate culture as well.

The founder of Chick-Fil-A is very family oriented and not in the usual lip-service way. His restaurants are open 6 days a week and are closed on Sundays. It's nice to see someone stand up for his principles.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+509) 12 years ago
Unfortunately, I don't think a Chic-Fil-A would make it in Miles City. It is great that they have some old fashioned values and are closed on Sunday, but I would bet that is one of the biggest retail days in MC. The farm and ranch community making the trip to town for church and groceries and a meal out, and CFA is closed.

I also don't like the flavor of the breading of the chicken, not quite right. They do make a very good milkshake though.

I LOVE Popeye's. The red beans and rice are without compare. And the spicey chicken isn't for the faint of heart. It is New Orleans style food and may be a bit too spicey for the average MC diner.

Panda Express is great, always very fresh food and clean. If Hunan is closing, then Panda would be the best option for a new franchise restaurant. Of course it is Americanized Chinese, but still a good and tasty option.

Hmm, I have all of those options within a 5 mile radius, makes me think Panda for lunch!
supporter
"I LOVE Popeye's. The red beans and rice are without compare. And the spicey chicken isn't for the faint of heart. It is New Orleans style food and may be a bit too spicey for the average MC diner. ?"

Popeye's made it only eight month here in Gillette before they closed. Nearly everyone in Gillette moved her from somewhere else. No way it would work in Miles City.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17661) 12 years ago
Let's face the facts, people, the only way a restaurant can make a go of it in Miles City is if it is dirt cheap. That is the bottom line, period. Quality takes a back seat.
Posted by jamie vlastelic (+241) 12 years ago
Ben Franklins is for sale on main street!
supporter
Richard, I agree that Popeye's would never make it in Miles. I think it is much too spicey for the average palate in MC. Sorry that it didn't make it in Gillette, but at least you have Taco Johns. I would kill to have one of them move to Houston.

Chipotle is great too, or Qdoba, but once again, I just don't see them being sustained in Miles City.

I GOT IT......

Waffle House. Just what MC needs, a greasy spoon open 24 hours for the bar crowd. I am serious, whoever starts a Waffle House in MC would make it. I get free lifetime upgrades on the hash browns for my idea.
supporter
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5100) 12 years ago
Wendy:

I second.
supporter
I have never eaten at Taco Johns. I might have to do that one of these days. Now can we get back to these upscale women in chik-fil-a's?
supporter
There are plenty of upscale women at Waffle House. They have their own grillz too!

I did some research into it, the Waffle House franchise, and there are 1500+ stores, but it is a privately held company. They just started taking credit cards a year ago, all of that built on CASH. Driving up the coast of MS, AL, and LA where Katrina hit, they were the only stores open, rebuilt like an ant pile. Even the McD's were still gone.

The food isn't THAT bad, you walk into there knowing it is iffy at best and are usually not disappointed.
supporter
New Hunan has made it in MC for 15+ years. We can't be that in love with blandness. And anyway Popeye's has non-spicy chicken as well as the good stuff.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9297) 12 years ago
"I have never eaten at Taco Johns"

With every post, I come to understand you less than the post before.
supporter
Well, Ricardo's never eaten shrimp, lobster, or crab either (allegedly).

So there you go.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1590) 12 years ago
I agree with Zook- the bar scene could use a late night breakfast. Not that I would know anything about the bar scene.
supporter
I think the 519 still does breakfast for the drunks. That probably saves many lives every year by giving everybody some time to sober up before they drive home. The 519 is closer to the bars than 4B's as well.
supporter
Posted by skoh (+333) 12 years ago
Does anyone remember going out to the old Husky Truck Stop at 1 or 2 a.m. for breakfast and the wonderful french fries with gravy??? ("back in the day"! LOL!)
Posted by Dave Golterman (+236) 12 years ago
If you have a Waffle House franchise, you've gotta love it every time Comedy Central shows "The Blue Collar Comedy Tour" or one of the associated comedians. I think ever single one of them has at least one good Waffle House joke. And as they say, any publicity is good publicity as long as they spell your name right LOL
supporter
"There are plenty of upscale women at Waffle House. They have their own grillz too! "

It occurs to me that upscale women at Waffle House are probably syrupy sweet.
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+379) 12 years ago
Chik fil' a is "ok" but the best fried chickem in town is still at the Airport Inn.
It's hard to compare Chik and KFC as Chik only has white breast meat "filets" and not all the pieces of chicken.
I'd say bring in an Arby's or Burger King. Both franchies are very stable and have great food.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9297) 12 years ago
But why would you want to eat any other part of the chicken Chris? Or are you more of a "leg" man?
supporter
I love Arbys...would love to see them come to town...
supporter
At Waffle House you can get a steak! Can you do that at Chic or Burger King? Fast food steak! How perfect is that for Miles City?

I envision a place where old men, aka Dad, can get a cup of coffee and BS for a while. Some place where truckers can get a bite in the middle of the night. A place for drunks to be noisy and play songs on the juke box. Somewhere that the goth wannabes can sit for a while and complain about living in a small town.

I know that there are a lot of things that are trashy about the Waffle House, but at least you know your food is freshish. You watch them cook your eggs, make your waffle, fry the bacon. When was the last time you saw McD's or BK or Arby's cook anything other than fries? Arby's roast beef scares me more than few other things.
supporter
Howdy:

Gotta disagree w/ you and agree with MT

Arby's roast beast is s-c-a-r-y
supporter
Well admittedly, I haven't eaten at an Arbys in quite a long time (years) so maybe their quality has gone down the tube...Too bad...
Posted by Samantha Hydrick (+15) 12 years ago
Honestly, I think Chickfila is too "southern" for MC's taste. This franchise does better in the south where we fry everything (even icecream.) The "sweet" breading on the chicken is sort of an acquired taste... not for those accustomed to the traditionally seasoned fried chicken. Although, the newer stores feature indoor play areas that are great for attracting young moms with toddlers, and are generally much cleaner than McD's.
On another note, I was actually served "green eggs & steak" at a waffle house a while back... and it wasn't even Seuss Day.
supporter
"any publicity is good publicity as long as they spell your name right LOL"

I had my first and definitely last breakfast at a Waffle House about six years ago. After that experience it was clear to me that the company spells its own name wrong. The correct spelling is:

AWFUL HOUSE
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1910) 12 years ago
I'm gonna duck when I say this. One of the big problems for a new franchise coming in to Miles City is finding and keeping decent help.
Posted by TK (+1628) 12 years ago
I think another restaurant would be good for MC--we need some good places to eat; fastplaces, at that......Wendy's and DQ are EXTREMELY slow, and McDonald's is so completely crammed at 12, especially when school is in session, that I either don't get a lunch break or I have to go to the grocery store and get something to take back to the office, of just stay in the office with or without something from home. It's ridiculous!
On another note, I personally would LOVE to see Arby's come in!!!!!!!
supporter
Finding decent help is one thing certainly. Experienced cooks and wait staff are hard to come by and the good ones are more rare yet. KEEPING them is the employers responsibility. If the pay/benefits are right, there is no reason you can't retain good employees.

I believe that an owner should make a darned good living, but you don't have to become filthy rich on the backs of your employees. There are some wonderful examples in society about responsible employers, Southwest Airlines and Lincoln Electric come to mind. You could apply those principles on a micro scale and have success. Sorry for the drift.

Back to my original point, MC needs a diverse diner style 24 hour restaurant. Not another Jack in the BK Filet. Something that offers good and healthy food choices.
supporter
More casinos!!!!!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11898) 12 years ago
There simply isn't the labor pool in Miles City. The fast food places and Wally World are always hiring because there are more jobs than the competent, responsible help available. The personnel issue can be a big problem, especially for fast food.