MILES CITY MEMORIES
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11984) 19 years ago
The Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce the new book (which we hope will be available before Christmas) called "Miles City Memories."

This book will feature the ONLY published transcript of the Geo. Miles diary of 1876; the memoirs of Laura Brown Zook, who arrived in Miles City in 1878 and was the town's first librarian, also taken from her original hand written notes; the never before published memoirs of Tessie McGuire and her son-in-law, Robert Koerner, who lived at Fort Keogh during the Remount Station days of the early twentieth century; excerpts from the Yellowstone Journal and Sam Gordon's "Recollections of Old Milestown" plus some samples of the letters written by the Ursuline nuns when they first arrived in Miles City in 1884.

There will also be never before published photos from the Zook and Koerner families, including views of Fort Keogh as you have never seen it!

The book will be 5" x 7", staple bound, around 100 pages and will sell for less than $10.00. Exact price to be determined after we pay for printing it! I hope to have it done in the next couple of weeks.

--Amorette
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+111) 19 years ago
Hi Amorette,

Sounds like a book I will have to check out. Love that Miles City early history. Tell me, who was Sam Gordon and what era do his recollections cover?

Thanks, Kenny
founder
supporter
Sam Gordon was the publisher of the Yellowstone Journal and arrived fairly early. . I'm at home and can't check right away. His book covers the very early years, mostly before the NP railroad arrived in 1881. If you check the splash page of this site, you'll find the electronic version on-line. The originals are VERY expensive (like $1000) so reading it here is probably you're best bet.

--Amorette

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 11/23/2002).]
founder
Posted by JEANNE M BOLE (+39) 19 years ago
Dear Amorette,
Please put me down for a copy of Miles City Memories.
I have enjoyed the other books so much. I feel like I
really got a deal on Centennial Roundup,after hearing
about the Ebay price.
Thanks
Jeanne Bole
founder
Posted by elizabeth Davis (+18) 19 years ago
I would also like to get a copy. I have been really enjoying learning about my family and about Miles City. I have been there only once and that was back in 1972. Been along time.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Davis
founder
supporter
I finished laying out "Miles City Memories" vol. one today. Steve got the pictures scanned and my mother is proofreading it tonight. I hope to drag the stack of disks and galleys over to the Star on Tuesday. I have no idea how long it will take to get printed but I will let you folks know the moment it is hot off the presses!

And if anyone has any family memoirs tucked away about Miles City and Fort Keogh, let me know. The commission insisted on calling it "vol. 1" in case more great stuff turned up. I'm trying to remember to suggest my mother (born in MC in 1926) that she write some stuff down about her childhood.

Anyway, about 80 pages, eleven photos, some NEVER BEFORE PUBLISHED! all for maybe $7.50 (depending on the final cost to get printed.) Some of the stuff is fascinating and some of it is hilarious. I just hope everyone likes it as much as I do!

--Amorette
founder
supporter
THE BOOK IS DONE! I took copies over to Joe Whalen's bookstore and sold four to folks before I even left the Star. Plus sold some to myself and my mom and Dave Schott's mom, who was asking about them at Joe's, can purchase them at her leisure.

They are $7.50 plus $1.50 shipping and handling. I will be sending them to Laura and Roberta and Jeanne (whose addresses I have) on Tuesday. If anyone else is interested, let me know here or email me at [email protected] or the snail mail at 907 B Main Street, Miles City, 59301 works!

Sold ten. Only 230 to go to break even and then it's all money in the bank for the Preservation Office!

--Amorette
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17532) 19 years ago
Congratulations on getting this done, Amorette!

Gee, I wonder what my mom might be getting me for a Christmas gift this year....

- Dave
founder
supporter
Someone's mom called me today and told me I was in trouble. Heheheheheheh.

Also--sold at least 50 books! I lost count! Crowd at Joe's and I am so out of retail mode, I was overwhelmed by the folks waiting at my place! Yikes. I was late getting there because of the woman's club Christmas luncheon and gift exchange and people were waiting! I hope everyone likes it!

--amorette
founder
supporter
86 copies of Miles City Memories Vol. 1 sold! Huzzah! Hope to be mailing a bunch tomorrow or Tuesday!

--Amorette
founder
Posted by Laura K. Jones (+29) 19 years ago
Hi Amorette,

I just wanted to congratulate you on what a great job you did with "Miles City Memories". I have my copy now and am appreciating all of the good information therein which will help me with my novel. I appreciate your editing job and gathering all of this information in one place. I look forward to additional volumes.

Thanks again for all your hard work and diligent research!

Laura Jones
Corvallis, Oregon
Posted by Jane Pallister (+13) 19 years ago
Amorette:

Can you tell me how to order one of these books? Do you want pre-payment sent to you and, if so, to what address? Also, I live in Anchorage, AK so I'm assuming the shipping will run a bit more than $1.50 so please let me know what that would be. It sounds like a great book!!

Thanks!

Jane (Brown) Pallister
founder
Posted by JEANNE M BOLE (+39) 19 years ago
Hi Amorette,
I read the book and I loved it. The hardships these people
went through was very courageous. Thank god for them. If
I had lived back then I am sure I would have stayed put.
I don't like to think that but it's probably true.
When did the Carniege library become Miles City library?
I am curious.
Thanks Jeanne
founder
supporter
Sorry it has taken so long to reply. Holidays and ill health. Anyway. . .

US postal service charges the same to Alaska as to anywhere else so the s&h would be the same. Send a check to 907B Main St made out to MCPC or Miles City Preservation Commission if you're feeling ambitious. Nine bucks per copy mailed.

I've sold about 200 copies! Huzzah! And I'm vaguely working on the next volume!

And the library changed its name I think when the addition was added in 1964 or thereabouts but I'd have to check. The name change was because the Carnegie folks never coughed up another thin dime after the initial investment and the librarian at the time thought the city--which paid the bills--deserved more credit.

--Amorette
Posted by li cran (+28) 19 years ago
Would it be possible to get that postage-on-arrival overseas, like in Italy?
Posted by Barb Plummer (+10) 19 years ago
Amorette, I am sending you a check for 9.00 for a copy of your book Miles city Memories. I am very interested in reading it. Both my parents have passed away. How I wish I had pressed their minds and wrote down their memories. My dad was so immersed in the history of Miles City from the early twenties until his death in 1996. He knew everyone from the pioneers to his generation. Stories I heard and never remembered. I do know that my Great-Grandmother on my mothers side lived at Fort Keogh when I was very young. I can remember going to visit her and playing in a room off the kitchen with a dirt floor. Congratulations on you first book. Barb Plummer
Posted by Bonnie Glasman (+2) 19 years ago
I would like a copy of the book. Can you let me know how to acquire one.
Thanks
Bonnie Glasman
Posted by Nick Krumenacker (+13) 19 years ago
Please let me know how to order "Miles City Memories". What information do you need. Thanks Nick Krumenacker
founder
supporter
They are $9.00 through the mail. Send check, cash or money order to:
MCPC (you can make the check out to this unless you WANT to spell out "Miles City Preservation Commission")
907 B Main St.
Miles City, MT 59301.

I'll ship as soon as I get the order. Amorette