Red Rock Village Photo
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10040) 12 years ago
Since we've been waxing nostalgic over the Crossroads, I figured it was only fair to the give the Red Rock its due. I have some good memories of it as well.

Posted by Kacey (+3154) 12 years ago
Obviously before they built the Bunkhouse and Supper Club. So many memories. So sad.
Posted by polar bear (+516) 12 years ago
Loved their milkshakes and onion rings!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 12 years ago
Beltbuster. Best. Bacon Cheeseburger. Ever.
Chicken bucket!
Posted by V (+175) 12 years ago
Now it looks like a poop hole.. It is really shameful that some things just can't stay the same. I know the cycle of life unfortunately.

[This message has been edited by V (8/29/2009)]
founder
supporter
sponsor
The drive though served up some good food - they did a good job on the onion rings, chicken, and burgers. As I recall the shrimp basket was one of my favorites.
The sadness is that the Red Rock was completely paid for. Then when Cliff White died it was given to his heirs. They used it as collateral for other things and it started to go downhill from there.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 12 years ago
The Interstate came through and bypassed Highway 10-12. That, more than financial issues, killed that stretch of road. Funny thing is, Miles City was THRILLED when we became the first town in Miles City to have 'an exit.' Live and Learn.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 12 years ago
"when we became the first town in Miles City to have 'an exit."

Do you mean first town in MT?
supporter
Posted by Just Me (+744) 12 years ago
I have a menu from the Red Rock Supper Club.
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+492) 12 years ago
I think there was a financial problem for the Schantzs regarding the septic system. It couldn't handle the volume and was a constant threat to the facility. I believe it was impossible to hook up to city water and sewage at that time, or else financially out of reach. Later a water district was developed that greatly benefited the people on Haynes and provided city water and sewage.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Here's an older view of the Red Rock:

supporter
Posted by Julie (+414) 12 years ago
I'm the proud owner of the (working) neon 'Cocktail Lounge' sign from the Red Rock. It's prominently displayed in my basement bar. WAY COOL! I plan on leaving it to the Range Riders.
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+193) 12 years ago
My memories of the "Rock" were two very different ones. The first was the view of the drive-through from a low angle in the back seat of the family station wagon. I don't remember anything else (except the pleasure of the great-smelling/tasting food that soon followed). I must have been about 3 yrs old, and we lived on a dairy out by Kircher school, so this was on our way home. When I saw those posts of the covered drive through and smelled the fried chicken wafting out of the window, I was a happy camper.

Later, I worked for a few months as a night desk clerk in the last several years of its existence. I remember very little of that time, except how spooky that place could get at 2am, and the "build any kind of sandwhich you could imagine" opportunities of the diner kitchen's prep bar.

Eating at restaurants wasn't much of an economic possibility for us when I was growing up, I think I ate at the Supper Club once for some event (HS reunion?), and at the Crossroads twice.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 12 years ago
I remember cherry cokes at the drive-in.
The drive through was backwards, right? If there was no one else in the car, the driver would have to slide/reach over to transact business?
That car in the drive through in the postcard image sure looks a lot like my first car, a blue/white 55 Olds.
Posted by Keli A. (+110) 12 years ago
Just to clear up some of the rumors about how the Red Rock closed...I am a grandchild of Cap and Rose. It did not go down hill after Cliff White died!! My grandparents and parents and aunts and uncles kept it going for a long time after! In 1985 my grandpa passed away and grandma kept it going for 2 more years and then it just got to hard for her to do. All of their kids were too busy to help out so she gave it to the bank. The Bank sold it to Cal Cannon who just got out of jail for whatever reasons. Cal tore the supper club down and built a bar over the indoor pool and made the pool a dance floor. Six months later he burnt it down to collect the insurance money on it, but got caught and thrown back in jail!! It makes me physically ill every time I drive by and see the empty lot where my childhood took place!! I have lots of great memories of that place and would like them to stay that way!!

My favorite memory was sliding down the long banister leading to the supper club! Also, running in the snow to the indoor pool in the winter time....and riding the bear that was in the middle section of the parking lot by the pine trees! Oh, and the teddy bear pancakes that they would make in the mornings for all 9 of us grandkids before we would head off to school!! I could go on and on and on...

I would love to have some copies of these pictures if at all possible!! I would mean the world to me!! My number is 234-2326
"It did not go down hill after Cliff White died!! My grandparents and parents and aunts and uncles kept it going for a long time after! In 1985 my grandpa passed away and grandma kept it going for 2 more years and then it just got to hard for her to do. All of their kids were too busy to help out so she gave it to the bank."

A business that was free and clear couldn't have gone back to the bank unless it was mortgaged again for other purposes.

I have a lot of wonderful memories of the Red Rock too. And it broke my heart to see what happened to it. It should have never happened.

[This message has been edited by Kacey (8/31/2009)]
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+278) 12 years ago
thanks for posting such a beautiful picture! as a kid driving down that way i always wondered what that area looked like in its prime. my parents told me it had been 'the place to be' and quite honestly in its sad state, then burnt up state i just didn't get it. now i do!
Posted by Wil Nelson (+76) 12 years ago
I had a summer job at the Red Rock in 1959 washing dishes it paid 87cents/hr. The chicken was KFC.
Posted by Keli A. (+110) 12 years ago
Kacey- I never said that is was free and clear! That came from someone else not me. The truth is, it was far from it! I'm not going to go into details cause it is no ones business but my families, so let it drop! I don't mean to sound mean or harsh but it is a sensitive subject!

I am very glad to hear all of the wonderful memories that everyone had at the Red Rock. Does anyone remember the bowling alley that was there too? I vaguely (sp) remember cause I was too little. All I remember is the playroom for the kids. It would be great to see pictures of that too.