Seeking info on Tom Jacobson
Posted by Don Jacobson (+4) 17 years ago
I am looking for information about my father, Tom Jacobson, who died in or around 1960. He was born in Miles City in the 1930s, where I understand married a local girl and had some children. From what I understand, he left Montana in the 1950s and embarked on a career as an on-air radio personality in such places as Minneapolis, Los Angeles and Kansas City. I also understand his father owned a grocery store in Miles City.

I know very little else about him, since I was very young when he died but would appreciate any information anyone can send me about him. Please address any correspondence to Don Jacobson (St. Paul, Minn.) at [email protected]

Thank you.
founder
Posted by Johnnie Lockett Thomas (+402) 17 years ago
I didn't know your father, but his sister Dorothy was my husband's step-mother. She died in Los Angeles, but I don't remember the date. She had one son who died after 1996. I know a little more about their parents. Your grandfather did not own a grocery store. He was the manager of the Merchantile Mart. My husband always referred to him as 'Old man Jacobson'. They were an unusually interesting family, and rather unorthodox. I have a couple of photographs of your Aunt Dorothy and her son, and a few papers relating to their relationship to one of the weathiest families in America. Your grandmother's sister lived in Roundup.

There are people here who remember them in greater detail and although I know the name of the local woman your father married, I know nothing else of her or her children. Althought there may be some reluctance to do so, I'll ask if those here who know your family are willing to share their knowledge of them.

Johnnie Lockett Thomas

[This message has been edited by Johnnie Lockett Thomas (edited 5/7/2005).]
founder
Just found this ad in a 1943 edition of the Miles City Star.

Groceries ---Wholesale
MILES CITY MERCHANTILE CO.
Phone 52. A.E. Jacobson, Mgr. Wholesale Groceries. Fruits and vegetables: Beer. Distributors of Del Monte and Libby canned goods, Budweiser, Schlitz, Missoula, Highlander and Hamm's Beer.

JLT
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the info. It's like trying to piece together a very dusty puzzle. I feel I must have inherited some of the unorthodoxy. Like my late father, I went into the media & have had a very interesting life. But my lack of real knowledge about my roots has always frustrated me.
founder
Again, if you'll send me an address I'll happily exchange information with you about the family history. I have a copy of your grandmother Irene's membership card in the DAR. And do you know you are a descendant of one of America's wealthiest and most famous families? I have a few photographs. I think I have a copy of a letter that explains why some of your ancestors are not listed in the family bible, etc. Your cousin Michael Thomas died in 1996 when he was in his very early 50's. Like the town's 1886 run away nun, your ancestors number among Miles City's real mysteries.

I have a vague memory of meeting your father once when my husband and I first moved to Los Angeles, but it was his sister Dorothy that I knew well. I think she was born in 1923. I have an interview about another matter with someone who knew her well. I'll ask if they remember your father as well.

Johnnie Thomas
Hi there. I sent an e-mail to you using the personal reply feature on this board. Was wondering if you got it?
founder
Did not receive your e-mail

I'll attempt to e-mail my street address and telephone number to you.
If that doesn't work, you can find me through the internet telephone directory.

Johnnie Lockett Thomas
Posted by Jerry Jacobson (+13) 7 years ago
I am Jerry Jacobson and I might be related! Thomas B Jacobson was my father. Born in Mile City, Mt. He married Nadine Rashleigh from Butte and I was born 4/15/54. On my birth certificate it has him listed as a radio announcer. I would like to know if it's the same man and to find family. Thank you very much.
Posted by Jerry Jacobson (+13) 7 years ago
I am Jerry Jacobson and there's a strong possibility I am related! I never knew my father, but I have my birth certificate that states my father was Thomas B Jacobson from Mile City Montana and he was a radio announcer. I was born in Butte,Mt in 1954. would really like to know if we are related and get to know my history. Thanks! My email address is [email protected]