How's the Cattle-Ac these days?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9778) 10 years ago
Anyone eaten there in the last month or so? Friend of a friend got food poisoning but that was under the old ownership. How are things these days?
supporter
Posted by Sandy Kiltie-Losing (+261) 10 years ago
We ate there earlier this month and it was not good. The food quality was on par with cafeteria fare and even the two drinks were mixed up and incorrectly made.
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2465) 10 years ago
servings are small and mashed poatoes are cold have not eating there since
Posted by TK (+1625) 10 years ago
In 2002 I got food poisoning and did not go back again until last year. The first time we went back my husband was too keen on the idea, but while we were eating, he changed his mind--LOL! We've been there a number of times since and it's always been really good; we've never had any complaints and always walk out with left-overs. The waiters/waitresses are really good, too (though the waiters seem to be better than the waitresses). I know people who eat there on a weekly basis and they always have good luck, too.

[This message has been edited by TK (8/21/2009)]
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+886) 10 years ago
I haven't eaten there in a while... But I have noticed a few of the wait staff from the cattle-ac now working at the Chop House...
Posted by tim bartolovich (+124) 10 years ago
we eat there quite often and send alot of our guests there and its one of the best places in town everyone we sent said it was one of the best meals they have had which i agree. Patric and his wife do a great job and eveyone that works there are some of the best i have never had a problem whatsoever and its better than before ALWAYS LEAVE FULL and usually have to take some home KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
supporter
Posted by Sandy Kiltie-Losing (+261) 10 years ago
I am glad some folks have had a better experience, but it is not somewhere I would recommend to anyone.
supporter
Posted by Carol S (+238) 10 years ago
Great food, good service, and wonderful new owners. I would highly recommend the Cattle-Ac if you want to dine in a great place.
Posted by Fred South (+140) 10 years ago
Ate there in late March. Good experience. No complaints.
supporter
Posted by John Morford (+344) 10 years ago
My son Kelly and I just ate there Wednesday night. Food was great and there was lots of it. We ate in the back room and the service was excellent. Very good experience.
Posted by Kari (+114) 10 years ago
Food isn't the same since there is a new kitchen manager and none of the same cooks are there.
Posted by Beer Man (+11) 10 years ago
Had lunch and dinner, with good friends over two days. The service was great and the food and beverages were delicious.

Beer Man
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2581) 10 years ago
As stated in tonight's MC Star, Cattle-Ac is now Iron Horse Supper Club. I went tonight and find the new menu appealing. I had great lobster bisque, which was served with a shot of sherry if you choose. The lobster ravioli were a little undercooked, but tasted good. I ordered two lobster dishes, as I've found that in this part of the country, you can judge a restaurant by its seafood. My mom had the shrimp, which were good. I think they did a good job of getting some variety onto the menu.

BTW...they offered to replace the ravioli, but I chose not to as they weren't that undercooked.

[This message has been edited by Kelly (10/29/2009)]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4946) 10 years ago
Had lunch there today and the food was good...the new menu was great and full of variety...
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3715) 10 years ago
Well the name change raises them in my estimation. I always thought "Cattle-Ac" was a terrible name.
Posted by Dillpickle (+36) 10 years ago
I had lunch there last week and thought the service and food were much improved.

It is definately one of Milestown's better places to eat.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
founder
supporter
I always said "Cattle ACK! as if I had been startled by cattle. Heeheehee. Yes, Iron Horse Supper Club is MUCH better name!
supporter
It's strange that they chose the name Iron Horse, because Forsyth has an establishment with the same name. I was very confused when I saw the ad in the paper... But I'm excited to try the new menu!
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3715) 10 years ago
My guess is that the name has to do with the proximity to the railroad tracks.
Have prices changed much, or are they still about the same they were when they were the cattle-ac? I didn't realize they changed names, though I knew there was new ownership. Are any of the old menu items still available (like the chicken wraps and sour cream chive fries?????)?
Posted by Sharon Clarke (+77) 10 years ago
I have eaten at the Cattle-Ac many times and have yet to ever have a problem with the food or the service. I never got food poisoning, never got cold food, and had very friendly good service. I guess I've been lucky, and I would go back again
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14084) 10 years ago
My guess is that the name has to do with the proximity to the railroad tracks.

...or the owner rides a harley.
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+274) 10 years ago
hmmm... i wonder if the new place is somehow linked to the iron horse in missoula? its a very well established pub and eatery. if you visit...

http://www.ironhorsebrewpub.com/
supporter
I did it...went and ate there last night. I was very surprised at their menu. They had quite a few new items as well as some of the old favorites. They still have most of the sides like sour cream fries and mac and cheese, and still have a few mexican and pasta dishes. They have a large selection of steaks, and you can choose to add a finish to, blackened...diablo (spicy) etc. I had crab legs which were good, and my friend had a flat iron steak with a pepper cream sauce. Both were priced at about $15 and were tasty.
I did notice they have a few dishes the same as the Rib and Chop House, Ahi Tuna and a cedar plank salmon. I think the price was a little more though, and maybe the portions smaller. The service was pleasant and they have it decorated nice...I never noticed how the big metal cutout of a cow in a car bugged me...but it not being there made the restaurant not seem so cheesy. I can't wait to try their Tuna and compare with the Chop House... Overall, I thought it was a nice change!!!!
Posted by Cynthia A. (+199) 10 years ago
ate lunch there a week ago, it was good. Not "great" but good, but I'd say spendy for what it was. The coffee was good but had to ask for my cup to be filled, and it was only done once. Waitress was nice but not out and about the room very much ~ they were not busy. good atmosphere, but the restraunt seemed COLD ~ not good for a place serving food.
Posted by Todd Riddle (+81) 10 years ago
Went there three times, first time A W E S O M E !!! Second time MEDIOCRE and to give the benefit of the doubt gave it a third try and must say that the service was slow but friendly and the food was good but not even small portions THEY WERE TINY!!

Overall I would not recommend it, you'd think for the money spent that you would at least leave not feeling hungry but the meal seemed more like an appetizer.

Good food, just increase service time and obviously portions and they would be on the right track
Posted by Skye W (+27) 10 years ago
Small portions are not a bad thing...you do realize that when you go to a restaurant you are eating about 4 times the amount you should be in your regular diet? so really they should cut the cost and make the portions serving size. And the Iron Horse is a food chain it isnt anything original.
I don't know....I wasn't too impressed. Yeah, they kept some of the menu items, but they REALLY cut down on their portions AND increased the prices on quite a few items. I'm not sure it's really worth it. Maybe if they increase their portions a bit (we like bringing home "doggie bags"--it makes for a good lunch/late breakfast the next day!)....
supporter
I don't think this Iron Horse is part of any chain... They had a contest to name the restaurant...
founder
supporter
No, it is not a chain. There may be a chain of Iron Horse restaurants but they must not be incorporated in Montana because there are other Iron Horse restaurants and they are not connected in any way.

I firmly believe restaurant portions are way too big! My husband and I usually split them because the amount of food often served is ridiculous. If you want to stuff yourself, order appetizer and dessert.