Posted by Slosh (+703) 13 years ago
While listening to Don't Follow after reading the Alice in Chains thread, I got to thinking about songs I wanted played at my funeral.
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this morbid thought.

Here are the three that I want played at my funeral for sure

Long Road- Pearl Jam http://www.youtube.com/wa...-Sm2bFS_Ms

Man of the Hour- Pearl Jam http://www.youtube.com/wa...XqwtUUPe0w

Don't Follow- Alice in Chains http://www.youtube.com/wa...BB2OS4IoTs

And if I happen to go earlier than expected, I hope that someone on here will see to it that these three are played. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Slosh (8/19/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9469) 13 years ago
supporter
supporter
supporter
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 13 years ago
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6121) 13 years ago
Hells Bells by AC/DC and Lateralus by Tool.
Posted by mule train (+1057) 13 years ago
Mule - Are these songs you want to have played at your funeral, or songs that make you wish you were dead?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18254) 13 years ago

Since 1977, the Dirty Dozen has extended the New Orleans brass band tradition, adding a funk rhythm section and recording with alt-rockers from Elvis Costello to Modest Mouse. But the band has deep roots, and they've never been more apparent than on Funeral for a Friend, a performance that goes to the very core of jazz and New Orleans musical life. Dedicated to one of the band's founders, the late Anthony "Tuba Fats" Lacen, it's a jazz funeral with hymns played at stately dirge tempo en route to the cemetery, then pressed to festive up-tempo counterpoint on the return. The music here pulses with life--and with afterlife too--as the raw R&B force of tenor saxophonist Kevin Harris and baritone saxophonist Roger Lewis energizes traditional tunes like "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" and Blind Willie Johnson's "John the Revelator." On "I Shall Not Be Moved" and "Jesus on the Mainline," the band pushes outward to hypnotic, dense, incantatory jams. Funeral for a Friend is a summary of the Dirty Dozen's greatest strengths, a memorable CD filled with joy and sorrow and real emotional power.
Posted by lexy (+38) 13 years ago
See You on the Other Side - Ozzy
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+273) 13 years ago
I am a funeral service student here in Gresham, Oregon!! I have thought of my funeral songs and those for my family members too!And have been doing so for years, as well as having in depth conversations with all of them about their wishes.

I personally want "Home is where the heart is" by the Sounds to finish off my short but sweet personal service.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 13 years ago
My Way - Frank Sinatra
Posted by Bill N (+66) 13 years ago
supporter
Posted by Just Me (+751) 13 years ago
Buck S. - You'd better get your two cents in here. From all the other threads I have read with your illuminating wisdom . . . Looks like you may be next.
supporter
OOoooOooh spoooky
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+188) 13 years ago
The Parting Glass, by the Wailin' Jennys

I'm such an incorrigible personal music evangelist, I would be tempted to make anyone who came to my funeral to sit and listen to my personal favorites, but I'm just not that mean.
Posted by V (+170) 13 years ago
I'd have to agree with Ozzy meet you on the other side. Now just a quick question how come some of the responses are blank. That is what I see any way is nothing.
supporter
Are you at work? Those are YouTube videos - a lot of corporate firewalls block youtube videos.
Posted by Levi and Destiny (+170) 13 years ago
Im wanting Goodbye to Romance, OZZY, and Nothing Else Matters, Metallica. If Today Was Your Last Day, Nickelback!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks aboout this!!!
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1822) 13 years ago
How about sixx:A.M. "Life is Beautiful"?
Judith by A Perfect Circle.
Posted by jessiker (+292) 13 years ago
I'd prefer If I Ever Leave This World Alive by Flogging Molly at my funeral.
supporter
Posted by kent koester (+279) 13 years ago
FreeBird would be my choice
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 13 years ago
Abide with me would be my choice. And I want the congregation to sing verse 5 a cappella.
Posted by Sharron Livingston (+2) 13 years ago
Playing the appropriate song for a funeral is a at times difficult. I found a site where they have a list of appropriate song to play at a funeral. Just have a look at it, cause i found it useful.

http://www.caring.com/sea...eral+songs
Posted by V (+170) 13 years ago
My grandma told me that she doesn't want any old song that is sad played at her funeral. I have to agree it is supposed to be a time of enjoyment (ok maybe not enjoyment couldn't think of the word I wanted. I agree with that. Play songs that relate to the person I think and of course this is just my personal opinion. :0