Dead body found in Miles City
supporter
Posted by Just Me (+745) 12 years ago
2 dead after apparent murder-suicide

Police say a Dickinson man who was out of jail after allegedly slitting his wife's throat last month may have killed her Sunday.

The body of Tracey Osborn, 43, was found 51 miles north of Dickinson Monday morning, police said at a press conference Monday afternoon. The body of her estranged husband, Jamie Osborn, 41, was found in Miles City, Mont., on Sunday.

"Jamie had apparently died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at the scene," Dickinson Police Lt. Rod Banyai said. He would not say how Tracey Osborn died.

After the meeting, Tracey Osborn's tearful daughter Mandy Schutt said she misses her mother.

"She was very outgoing and friendly, loving and kind. Her grandchildren and her kids were her number one priority. She was a good mother - the best mother," Schutt said. "Just like that it's all taken away."

Jamie Osborn was her stepfather, she said.

Melissa Cady-Angerer, who Dickinson police are calling "a person of interest," has reportedly been arrested in connection to the incident.

"It's my understanding she is a cousin to Jamie Osborn," Lt. Dave Wallace said.

Cady-Angerer allegedly admitted to law enforcement that she drove Jamie Osborn into Montana and dropped him off, according to a Stark County criminal complaint.

She has been charged with disobeying a judicial order since she is on probation and is not supposed to leave the state, according to the complaint.

"The Stark County State's Attorney's Office will review the case to determine if any additional charges will be filed," Banyai said.

Linda Splichal, Stark County clerk of court, said Cady-Angerer's bond was set at $50,000 cash on Monday.

Police would not say where Tracey Osborn died, but an altercation reportedly took place outside her home on Fifth Avenue East in Dickinson on Sunday morning.

"We know that when she was going to work, leaving for work, that she was confronted outside of her residence by Jamie and that's where the incident started," Wallace said. "There was evidence at the scene that Tracey had been injured at the scene and based on that evidence we concluded that she had been a victim of a crime. The evidence was outside the residence."

He said someone witnessed the two fighting.

"All indications are is that when she was confronted outside her residence, that is where everything transpired," Wallace said.

Jamie Osborn allegedly attacked Tracey Osborn on July 18, but was released from jail on a $1,500 cash bond, according to court documents.

Southwest District Judge Zane Anderson signed the order stipulating terms of release.

"Jamie Osborn cut the throat of Tracey Osborn where she was transported by ambulance to the hospital for medical treatment for those injuries," Wallace said.

Jamie Osborn had told Tracey Osborn to "prepare to die" before stabbing her in throat, according to his criminal complaint. Tracey Osborn needed stitches to close the wound, according to the complaint.

Jamie Osborn was charged with terrorizing and aggravated assault. Wallace said Jamie Osborn was also ordered not to contact Tracey Osborn.

A restraining order against Jamie Osborn was in place and they lived at separate residences at the time of their deaths, Wallace said.

A tip reportedly led police to Tracey Osborn's vehicle in Dunn County.

"Through investigation and interviews we were told the location of the vehicle. Officers went out this morning (Monday) and were able to locate the vehicle out at the oil well site north of Dickinson," Wallace said. "The vehicle was not on the site, it was off an embankment where we would not have normally seen it, had we not known it was there."

The vehicle was impounded and her body was sent to the state medical examiners office in Bismarck for an autopsy, Banyai said.

"The cause of death will not be released until that autopsy has been completed," he added.

Montana authorities alerted Dickinson officers that Jamie's body had been found Sunday.

"The Miles City Police Department received an ambulance call of a gentleman that was laying in the wooded area next to a gas station in Miles City," Wallace said.

After the press conference, James Green, Tracey Osborn's brother, said he is in shock. He added he was suspicious of Jamie Osborn.

"I never really trusted him. I just noticed something about him - he just had a lot of weirdness about him, but I trusted my sister's judgment," Green said. "He just had a weird aura about him."

He said Tracey Osborn had three children - two grown and one teenager who will be staying with family.
supporter
I meant to say I found this online in "The Dickinson Press". Thought others might be interested and put some curiosity to rest.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1811) 12 years ago
A perfect answer to the question so many people ask, "If you're being abused, or are in fear for your life, why don't you call the police/press charges?" What on earth was an obviously dangerous predator doing out on bail??
supporter
Not to correct you but I think the article said there was a restraining order in place.

I think a lot of times after the police do their job the ball is dropped for one reason or another.

I totally agree . . . why was he out on bail at all?
supporter
I was referring to the times you hear people criticizing a victim for not going to the police ~ in this instance, she did, and it DID NOT result in her safety.
A restraining order is a joke. No violent person gives a second thought to breaking one, especially if they also intended to kill themselves in the end!
His plan would have been a good idea, if he had done it in reverse
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6116) 12 years ago
K - Do you think that NOT going to the police would have prevented the situation?

The reason that I ask is because your post reminded me of a situation that happened in Billings last week: http://www.billingsgazett...002e0.html

A car full of five drunk teenagers (including the driver) drove off Zimmerman Trail. None of the occupants was wearing seatbelts. One died and the other four were all seriously injured. At least one of those is most likely going to be paralyzed.

As grievous as their injuries were, ALL of them would have likely died had they been belted in. The car was absolutely demolished.

It seems that if we were to follow your train of logic, we should completely disregard seatbelts because they don't prevent all traffic injuries/fatalities. Frankly, that's shortsighted to the point of being ridiculous.

Someone sufficiently motivated to cause another person harm will find a way to do it. Do you think that metal detectors should be removed from Federal buildings and airports because Timothy McVeigh and Mohammed Atta accomplished their terrible goals in OKC and on 9/11, respectively?

Just because they were successful doesn't mean that a person fearing for his or her safety should avoid taking every possible precaution, including getting law enforcement involved.

Be enraged, but be realistic.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (8/18/2009)]
supporter
Absolutely not, Brian. I definitely suggest notifying authorities in a violent domestic dispute ~ as well as wearing seat belts!

What I, albeit lamely, was trying to point out, is how often people with no experience in being victimized or brainwashed by an abuser, will not understand why a person would hesitate to seek assistance. The assumption being that by turning it in, they would then be safe. Victims, however, know that the chances of escalating the anger/violence factor greatly increases when they do report it.

Police and other officials also have their regulations and have to work within the rights of all concerned..which is what apparently happened here.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12112) 12 years ago
The ex cut her throat while telling her "prepare to die" and he wasn't charged with attempted murder AND the judge let him out on $1500 bail. THAT is the problem. The judges who don't count assault by a partner as "real" assault and probably figure the woman deserved it. The judge who let the murderer out should be charged with murder.
Posted by milagros (+45) 12 years ago
Perhaps accountability is in order for Judge Zane Anderson...this is one case the advocacy groups for domestic violence victims should be aware of. In essence, Judge Anderson not only signed an order for terms of release for Jamie Osborn, he signed a death sentence for Tracey Osborn. We can be thankful to our city and district court judges in Miles City for taking this issue seriously!
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4952) 12 years ago
Amorette is absolutely right...that was disgraceful for that judge and he should definitely be charged with at least judicial misconduct...
supporter
Amorette - That was my point exactly.

I think the "powers that be" above law enforcement are small minded in small towns. I know Dickinson is bigger than Miles City but still not that big. The mind set is that those things won't happen here.

I have been involved with CNADA in the past and have seen it over and over again even here in Miles City. Law enforcement responds over and over again even after restraining orders are put in place. But after offenders are placed in jail - the "powers that be" take over.

Many hardly get a hand slap. Amorette - this does need to be taken more seriously. It happens all the time - even here in Miles City.
Posted by polar bear (+505) 12 years ago
Amorette is correct.

And--restraining orders do little more than to add a piece of evidence during trial. They cannot stop a person and women sometimes think the order will protect them. It won't.
Posted by ss (+27) 12 years ago
yes
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 12 years ago
The period of time when an abuse vicitm leaves the abuser is the most dangerous time of all. Often a restraining order is the thing that pushes the abuser over the edge. Unfortunately, there are not enough resources to protect the victim during the most dangerous time.
supporter
Yes Wendy - and each time the offender re offends with a restraining order in place and is not stopped is just encouragement to do it more often and more intense.

On top of everything else - they have called the bluff.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12112) 12 years ago
The prosecutor asked for $10,000 bail. The judge reduced it to $1500. The judge should be charged as an accessory because without his help. the murder wouldn't have occurred.

Disgusted doesn't cover it.
supporter
Maybe a recall petition is in order for this judge...it is unthinkable what he did...
supporter
Yes Amorette - What was he thinking? Anybody could come up with $1500. I think the statement you made earlier was right on. "They think the Woman deserved it".

This is something I am very passionate and furious about.
Posted by voiceofreason (+15) 12 years ago
Bond is a funny thing a $15,000.00 bond can be posted through a bonds man for a measly $1,500.00. State law sets the amount of bond for particular crimes. And the Eighth Amendment - Prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment - limits the amount of bail that can be set.
As far as whether this individual should have been brought up with more serious charges depends on the facts of the case and whether or not the prosecuting attorney had the leverage to charge with attempted murder. Remember were only getting the case facts that the media had access to, there's probably a lot more behind this story.
supporter
Like, maybe, the knife he slashed her throat with was not very sharp?
supporter
"DITTO"
Posted by Chris Peterson (+169) 12 years ago
In Montana, gun control means using both hands.
Posted by lorrie (+12) 12 years ago
OMG, I hope this judge NEVER sits in that robe, at that or any other courthouse(that's just a start!). People get arrested on minor citations and ALL their priors are pulled up before bail is considered!!!!! WHY when you look at Jamies' record (pierce county dot gov) all the way back to the mid 80s was he let out?!? We can all turn blue in the face and enraged to numbness and nothings going to change what happened:-( So far this hasn't made coast to coast news unfortunately( I hope and pray and KNOW that GOD will handle this!!) unfortunately we(still living) have to find ways to cope in our own ways:-( My thoughts and prayers are with all family members(traceys and jamies)(our son as well), just KNOW that she is in a MUCH better place!!!!
Posted by Rob Shipley (+479) 12 years ago
Gentlepersons: The mayor and prosecuting attorney want you readers to believe that I have been killed by their most recent COMPLETELY illegal actions. It is not so. What reads on the front page of the Star tonight is not at all the truth. Rob Shipley
supporter
Dang wish someone would share a copy on here of that front page as their web site isn't updating for me...must be a doozie..
supporter
Posted by JCF (+389) 12 years ago
Oh God, I want to see it too. What the hell did "Ship" do now?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4457) 12 years ago
Did they claim you're dead? That would be sweet, you could start a religion.
Posted by Jerbear (+135) 12 years ago
Hey Shipley If you need help cleaning up your stuff just look in the classified. Jamie White is lookin for some work. You could probably keep him busy for a (long) while.
supporter
Shipley - What do your posts possibly have to do with this thread?
Posted by bh (+208) 12 years ago
He can't answer you, he has been banned from this website.