Miles City Bars
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3751) 12 years ago
Not being from Miles City I just noticed from Josh's MilesCam site that it seems that Miles City has an abundance of bars/taverns.

Cheers!
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 12 years ago
I thought you were from Miles City..Have you ever lived here?? Where are you from??
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 12 years ago
C'mon howdy, you know he lives in his mom's basement.
Hey Howdy,

My connections to Miles City are through my Grandparents & Great-Grandparents actually. Me, I'm from the Seattle area. I've got a bunch of pictures of them in and around Miles City, most notably their wedding outside of Custer County High School.

One of these days (probably next year) I'm going to be making a trip to check out their graves, tour the high school and other genealogy-type stuff.
supporter
LOL Buck, guess I don't pay attention to details like I should..
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17663) 12 years ago
Relatively speaking, compared to the rest of the United States (with the possible exception of Wisconsin), Montana towns and cities have a lot more bars than what you see elsewhere. Having been to 47 of the 50 states, I can attest to that.
supporter
Posted by Julie (+413) 12 years ago
We'll all want to meet you Kyle! Make sure and keep us posted on when you'll be here so we can make arrangements.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5100) 12 years ago
I like Wisconsin.
I like the Drunken Sconnies.
supporter
New Mexico has a lot of bars and taverns as well IMO...I think they had the highest incidence of drunk driving in the nation or at least they used to...I haven't seen recent stats for that tho..

[This message has been edited by howdy (8/12/2009)]
supporter
Hmmmm....I have spent quite a bit of time in New Mexico.....Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Gallup, Los Alamos, Roswell, Clovis, Carlsbad, Farmington....there are no where near as many bars there as in similar-sized towns and cities in Montana.

Trust me on this one, Howdy....this is a subject where I boast great expertise.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 12 years ago
Most of the bars in NM are in cars where they aren't spilling hot coffee.
supporter
oh, ok Gunnar, we reign supreme in Montana...a dubious honor I am sure..
supporter
Richard raises a good point.....while Montana probably has more bars in New Mexico, New Mexico probably has more DIVE bars than Montana.

Some of the worst bars I have ever been in in my life have been in New Mexico. This one I remember from Gallup.....the stench when you walked in was over-powering. The bars sold quart bottles of beer....that was it. No cans, no glasses. It truly was a pit.
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 12 years ago
Wisconsin has more bars. There's one at least every eight miles on the little two lane highways. Scary driving at night.
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+491) 12 years ago
You may find it interesting that MC drinks as much or more than Butte per capita. Probably Bucking Horse Sale vs. St. Pat's Day. And that's with Gunnar living in Helena.;>
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 12 years ago
"This one I remember from Gallup.....the stench when you walked in was over-powering. The bars sold quart bottles of beer....that was it. No cans, no glasses. It truly was a pit."

I am guessing it was this one:

http://maps.google.com/ma...59.97,,0,5
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+404) 12 years ago
I once told someone I grew up in MC and their response was "That town with 5 bars for every block?"
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+511) 12 years ago
I live in Miles City and the only business I can see from the cam view, that actually says it is a bar, is the Montana. Kyle, what are you smoking?
A great cigar!

Is the 519 not a bar?
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+511) 12 years ago
OK, now I see the banner at the bottom of the screen. The 519 is a restaurant that has a bar in it. I have only been there a few times. When they get the wonderful old sign from The Range Riders re-hung over The Trails Inn the street view will be a lot better.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11902) 12 years ago
The camera is also located in the oldest part of town, where the bars used to be concentrated. There used to be quite a few bars in that block that are now gone. When it was located in 900 block, no bars were visible because (with the exception of Parker's, a relative latecomer) bars weren't allowed farther down Main because of churches, the library and the nearby upscale residential neighborhood.
supporter
Sorry, Richard....the American Bar is far more upstanding than the place I remember....which was on the west end of town. I doubt if it still exists.
Does the Gaslight still exist? Alta Club?
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6114) 12 years ago
Not being from Miles City I just noticed from Josh's MilesCam site that it seems that Miles City has an abundance of bars/taverns.

Kyle, let me explain something to you:

1.) Night is dark.
2.) Hell is hot/people in hell want ice water.
3.) Miles City has an abundance of bars.

It may also surprise you to learn that Richard is a libertarian.
In other words you like the Red Sox, I like the Yankees & Rick is no fan of Obama right
Bingo bango.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+889) 12 years ago
Donna...no Gaslight... And the Alta burned years ago. It still has a sign though...
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11902) 12 years ago
The Gaslight is the Texas Club, which is actually a name the same place has before it was the Gaslight.
The Gaslight used to be mainly young adults. Where do they hang out now?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 12 years ago
What's a young adult?

When I was 16, we liked the Alta - they'd serve us.

Around 19 - it was the Range because they'd serve us.

Just before 21 - the Texas Club was cool because they'd serve us.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 12 years ago
Just curious, how many of you think the no smoking in bars will actually take place in MC come 10/01/09 ? Sorry!! *second thread I've hi-jacked today, but I'm being CLOSELY monitored and admonished by my domineering husband There, Kegler's Crew..take THAT to the bar tomorrow
Posted by GLEN KELLY (+61) 12 years ago
gas light has not been around for some time .my brother earl kelly sold the gas light some time in the eighties.he is retired now,spending the big bucks he made there,in miles.I think he made more money owning the range riders.?He can tell you more about miles than anyone I know.On a serious note he will always love Miles City.He is blind now.But is very happy with life.He has always lived with the cards he was delt.
What's a young adult?

When I was 16, we liked the Alta - they'd serve us.

Around 19 - it was the Range because they'd serve us.

Just before 21 - the Texas Club was cool because they'd serve us.

Buck, I've always admired you for your honesty. That's why I'm having an extremely difficult time with these LIES that you're perpetrating.

MINORS actually being SERVED ALCOHOL in Miles City!? Why, I never!