JOE ADAMS, RUBE MILLER, SHORTY McCANN, ED TRAVASKIS and RUSSELL CHURCHILL
From 'Echoing Footsteps', published 1967, Powder River County Extension Homemakers Council
Early in the 1900's Joe Adams settled on a place which is located two miles east of Home Creek Butte. He had one son named Claude. Joe took a mail contract for the route from Beebe to Stacey, across the Adams ranch, where the stage changed horses and stayed all night. The next day it went on to the Selway Post Office. It was the first mail route to come this way, up Little Pumpkin Creek. There is still a mail box standing and traces of the old road can be seen here and there. One time some of the cowhands at the Selway ranch decided to play a trick on one of the stage drivers, so they hid in some rocks and yelled for the driver to throw down his guns-instead the fearless driver picked up his 30-30 and blasted away at them, searing some fun-loving cowboys out of their wits. Hughie Daily worked for Mr. Adams and helped carry the mail. About this same era there was a phone line in this country, from the Selway ranch to Liscomb Creek. Tongue River and on to Miles City. Some old-timers remember that Mr. Selway was instrumental in building this line and there still are trees that show the scars of trimming for brackets and lines. Mr. Joe Adams sold this ranch to Rube Miller and Shorty McCann who operated it for a number of years. Shorty McCann's funeral services were held in the ranch house and he was buried in the Stacey Cemetery. After both men passed away it was then operated by Ed Travaskis, a son-in-law of Mr. Miller. Ed and Maude Travaskis and their three children, Jack, Edward, and Clyde, came to the ranch in about 1910 from South Dakota. Jack and Clyde took over the ranch in the early 1920's. Clyde and his wife had three children: Marlene, Duane, and Clyde. He now lives in Medford, Oregon. In about 1938 Travaskis leased the ranch to Russell Churchill, and in 1943 they purchased it.