U U U RANCH
From 'Echoing Footsteps', published 1967, Powder River County Extension Homemakers Council
By Mrs. Oscar (Elvy) Woods
Oscar C. Woods, his wife EIvy, and daughter Signa bought the Sutton ranch in March, 1941. In a few years, he bought the Glen Maxwell place on Beaver Creek, the Charlie Paine place on Marvel Creek, and the Bill Pearson ranch, enlarging the former A- ranch, now the U U U ranch. John W. Pearson, or Bill as he was known, was from Washington, D. C. His wife, Ashley, was from Virginia. They homesteaded in 1916 or '17 on a place just south of the Charley Decker home. They had five children: Betty Ann, Mary Lou, Eva Lydia, William Ashley, and Floyd Henry. Bill carried the mail from Ashland to Volborg in the 1920's. During the 1940's they returned to Virginia, and the land now belongs to Oscar Woods. Oscar Carl Woods was born at St. Francis, Kansas. He came to Sundance, Wyoming, by ox team and covered wagon. That is where he went to school. The family moved to North Dakota, where they had a ranch. The town of Marmouth is now on this land. A a young man, Oscar rode for the YT, and -X outfits. The last was Bert Griffin's brand. He also rode in many rodeos. He gave up rodeos to go into the farming business at Lodge Grass, Montana, in about 1925. He leased land on the Crow Indian Reservation on Lodge Grass Creek, and lived on the same place until he purchased the Sutton ranch, which he operates with his son Bert.