Dusting Off the Old Ones was published in 1961 by W. B. Clarke, Miles City, Montana.
The City Scales
How many of you readers remember the city scales? The "last stand" for the city scales was just back of the court house where the Miles City Motor Company's used car lot now stands. According to "Shade Tree Bill", the first city scales that he can remember were located on Eight Street on the east side of the Renwick-Torgeson Drug Store building and were operated by Smith and Haynes, who had a feed store on that corner at the time. In 1905 the scales were moved to a location of Seventh Street, alongside Foster's and were operated by Thomas Gibb. Next they were moved to a location on Eight Street on the west side of Miles and Ulmer's store, and were "skippered" by John McAusland--from there they moved to 911 Bridge Street with Charley Kellar in command. They were then moved to their "last stand" back of the court house. Among the operators of the scales at this location were Mike Clancy and John Bradford. With the advent of natural gas into Miles City and the use of coal being discontinued, the need for city scales was eliminated. The "scale house" was moved to the bank of the Yellowstone river, just east of the Yellowstone bridge, where it is used in connection with a gravel pit.