Dusting Off the Old Ones was published in 1961 by W. B. Clarke, Miles City, Montana.
It was quite a few years from the time in the early eighties when Judge J. W. Strevell filed his homestead entry on the land now occupied by Wibaux Park until the death of Pierre Wibaux, prominent eastern Montana stockman, banker and philanthropist, in 1913. These two events, however, are closely related to the pleasure now derived by the residents of Miles City from the benefits of our beautiful Wibaux Park. Out of the 120 acres in the Strevell homestead, the Judge selected the park site for his family residence. It was an imposing group of buildings, surrounded by cottonwood trees, with a flowing artesian well, running its surplus water off into a swail on the northerly end of what is now the park site. Judge Strevell died on February 27, 1903. During the probate of his estate the old home site, together with other of his holdings in the vicinity, were sold to L. W. Stacy, another stockman and banker.
In 1913, Mr. Wibaux traveled to Chicago for medical treatment and passed away in that city following an operation. When his will was filed for probate in this county, it was found that it contained the following legacy:
"I give and bequeath unto the City of Miles City, a municipal corporation of the State of Montana, the sum of $10,000 to be by it used for the purpose of purchasing land for a public park for the use of the people of said city, to be kept and maintained at public expense."After considerable negotiations a deal was made whereby the city used the money to purchase from Mr. Stacy approximately seven acres of land now occupied by a park, which was appropriately named "Wibaux Park". The deed to the city was filed for record in the office of the county clerk and recorder on November 5, 1915. Following the purchase of the site, steps were taken by the city to convert it into a park and playground. There was a row of large cottonwood trees along the west boundary of the tract. This boundary, after the park was laid out and the street widened, was the center of Strevell Avenue. The trees were left there several years, thus all south-bound traffic was routed on the west side of the trees and all north bound traffic on the east side. These trees remained there until the concrete pavement was laid in 1933 when, against considerable opposition, they were removed. The fountain in the park was donated by Mr. Stacy in memory of his daughter, Florence.