SPONSORED 
You are here > Top: Forums: History & Genealogy: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana
History & Genealogy Forum Topic
You are viewing the Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana topic in the History & Genealogy forum.
 Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, Donator Hal Neumann, 5/5/2006 6:17:42 AM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, Cory Cutting, 5/5/2006 9:45:13 AM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, D. Rice, 5/17/2012 10:03:52 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, D. Rice, 5/17/2012 10:04:42 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of MontanaDonator Gunnar Emilsson, 5/17/2012 10:07:40 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, D. Rice, 5/17/2012 10:31:59 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, Cindy Stalcup, 5/18/2012 9:12:27 AM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, D. Rice, 5/18/2012 11:13:31 AM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of MontanaDonator Amorette Allison, 5/18/2012 2:21:59 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, D. Rice, 5/18/2012 3:02:52 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, D. Rice, 5/18/2012 4:32:48 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of MontanaDonator Karen L. Morris, 5/19/2012 4:41:17 AM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, Stone, 5/19/2012 7:46:15 AM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, D. Rice, 5/22/2012 2:10:24 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, worldmom, 5/24/2012 1:30:31 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, Jackie Fritsch, 9/29/2012 9:45:32 PM
 RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana, Cindy Stalcup, 9/29/2012 10:09:29 PM
 Subject: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana
Author: Donator Hal Neumann  Posted: Fri May 5 6:17:42 AM MDT 2006 From: - CO
Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana (& Some Women) is now available onliine. Published sometime between 1901 and 1903 in two volumes and running to some 1886 pages - - The work provides brief biographical sketches of over 2,500 "prominent" Montanans of the period from the mid 1850s to 1900.

Citation for original publication:
A.W. Bowen & Co. PROGRESSIVE MEN OF THE STATE OF MONTANA. . . ., 2 Volumes (Chicago: A. W. Bowen & Co., 1901?).

The online edition can be accessed here:
http://www.lib.umt.edu/gsdl/cgi-bin/

The volume is broken down into categories by occupation - these are:
Architect, Artist, Banker, Business Man, Clergyman, Dentist, Educator, Journalist/Author, Judge, Lawyer, Miner, Physician, Political Figure, Railroader, Rancher/Farmer, Soldier, Unclassified

Biographies for individuals from Miles / Custer County include:

BANKER
Wiley, Howard B, Miles City, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

BUSINESS MAN
Butler, Horace, Miles City, Custer County
Farnham, Joseph E, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

CLERGYMAN
Blaere, Joseph, Miles City, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

EDUCATOR
Dickinson, Clark B, Miles City, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

JOURNALIST/AUTHOR
Butler, Edmond, Miles City, Custer County
Gordon, Samuel, Miles City, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

JUDGE
Loud, Charles H, Miles City, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

LAWYER
Farr, George W, Miles City, Custer County
Johnston, James H, Custer County
Porter, Thomas J, Custer County
Sanner, Sydney, Miles City, Custer County
Strevell, Jason W, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

POLITICAL FIGURE
Andrus, Wiman W, Miles City, Custer County
Gould, Charles H, Miles City, Custer County
McLean, Kenneth, Miles City, Custer County
Rhoads, James M, Miles City, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

RAILROADER
Johnson, E H, Miles City, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -

SOLDIER
Miles, Nelson Appleton
- - - - - - - - - - -

RANCHER/FARMER
Bonner, Thomas J, Custer County
Dearing, George W, Custer County
Holt, John M, Custer County
Howard, Edward C, Miles City, Custer County
Issac, Joseph, Custer County
Joosten, John L, Custer County
Liscom, George W, Custer County
Mackay, Daniel C, Custer County
Stacy, Lorenzo Winchester, Miles City, Custer County
Zook, John I, Custer County
- - - - - - - - - - -
 Subject: RE: Progressive Men Of The State Of Montana
Author: Cory Cutting  Posted: Fri May 5 9:45:13 AM MDT 2006 From:
Amazing list. Notice how many are "founding fathers". There are a lot of streets named after these people.
Author: D. Rice  Posted: Thu May 17 10:03:52 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Does anyone have any information on Judge Loud?

He was the founding partner of what is now the Lucas & Tonn firm.

(Loud partnered with Bill Leavitt in 1911 or so, Leavitt partnered with Jim Lucas in 1951, and myself with Mr. Lucas in 2010).

I've found a bit of a bio about Judge Loud's early years until the middle of his term on the bench - but have been unable to find any photographs, or information about his later years in practice.

I did find this 1911 sketch of Judge Loud, with an unfortunate misspelling of his last name...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buttep...es/z/in/photostream/

Any help is appreciated - along with an email to dan (at) lucasandtonn (dot) com

Thanks much.
Author: D. Rice  Posted: Thu May 17 10:04:42 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
And, my apologies for bumping a 6 year old thread...
Author: Donator Gunnar Emilsson  Posted: Thu May 17 10:07:40 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
No need to apologize, d. rice.

I often think of myself as being the last progressive man in the state of Montana. I hope that history proves me wrong.
Author: D. Rice  Posted: Thu May 17 10:31:59 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Only time will tell, I suppose!
Author: Cindy Stalcup  Posted: Fri May 18 9:12:27 AM MDT 2012 From:
When I get to my computer later today I will email you the entry from Montana Blue Book it includes a photograph. My smart phone is always smarter than I am.

I would call the archivists in the photography department of the Montana Historical Society to ask if they have photos you can buy copies of to frame. This one is an image from the book so it is dark.

He is interesting. I will do some more digging later today. Here is quick summary:

1858 born Weymouth, Massachusetts.
1876 graduated from high school
6months read law
3 1/2 yrs worked in Boston in City Engineer office
Became Ass't Engineer Northern Pacific Railroad Survey
Realized money to be made in cattle business in Montana with new RR. Organized in Boston the Hereford Livestock Co. Came to Montana in 1883 as manager.
Involved in Montana Republican politics, represented district at constitutional convention, elected to first Montana House of Representatives for Miles City area.
Author: D. Rice  Posted: Fri May 18 11:13:31 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Cindy - thank you!

I will contact the historical society.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to dig into that for me.

I will probably post a thread detailing the history of our firm in this section of the forum soon. It has been fun to dig in to.

-Dan

[This message has been edited by D. Rice (5/18/2012)]
Author: Donator Amorette Allison  Posted: Fri May 18 2:21:59 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Head out to the Ranger Riders! Pictures and furniture that belonged to the good Judge is out there. His house still stands, too.

I wrote a history column on the old boy some years ago. Did you know he was such an excellent baseball player that when the court house employees in Billings played ball against the local merchants, Judge Loud came up and was a 'ringer' for them?
Author: D. Rice  Posted: Fri May 18 3:02:52 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Amorette,

I would love to pick your brain and discuss this further. Can I give you a call sometime - or have you give me a call at 232-4070 at some point?

Do you have a copy of the old column you wrote anywhere? Do you know what the address of Loud's old house?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am going to paste what I have together for our firm's history so far. Any other interesting tidbits you might be able to throw in would be great. (Note: I'm still waiting to confirm Gary Day's start date w/ the firm, so that is left blank).

Lucas & Tonn, P.C. - Firm History

In 1889, Charles H. Loud came to Miles City, Montana from his native Weymouth, Massachusetts where he was a surveyor, after having worked briefly in the cattle business along Pumpkin Creek, Montana. In 1889, C. H. Loud was a member of the constitutional convention which framed the original Montana Constitution, and was elected to the Montana House of Representatives in the first Montana election, serving from 1890-1891. While in Miles City, Loud read the law and was admitted to the bar in 1891. C. H. Loud engaged in an active private practice, and was the Custer County Attorney from 1892 through 1896. In 1896, Loud was elected District Court Judge for the Montana 7th Judicial District, comprising of the counties of Custer, Yellowstone and Dawson. Judge Loud returned to private practice following his years on the bench, and was involved in what was known as a "circuit riding" practice, which was a horseback traveling law practice spanning much of Eastern Montana, including Miles City, Forsyth, Red Lodge and Billings. Loud's Billings practice eventually became what is now the Moulton Bellingham firm. C. H. Loud partnered with attorney William B. Leavitt in Miles City in 1911. The law firm of Loud & Leavitt specialized in the areas of corporate, commercial, real estate and probate law. The firm also ran a collection agency out of their office. In 1921, a national publication titled The Bar Register was released, and was "published in response to a demand from the leading law firms throughout the country for a list of lawyers of superior ability who may be retained with absolute confidence." This publication contained only one listing of preeminent law firms for the area of Custer County and Miles City, being the law offices of Loud & Leavitt. During the early years of Mr. Leavitt's practice, when he had trials in Broadus, he and opposing counsel would often share a horse drawn buggy to make the trip from Miles City to Broadus along with their files. In those days, the lawyers would make it as far as Olive, Montana on the first day, stay the night, and then make their way to Broadus the next morning. Following Judge Loud's death, W. B. Leavitt continued the firm as a solo practice, eventually partnering with James P. Lucas in 1951, and the firm's name was changed to Leavitt & Lucas. At this time, the Leavitt & Lucas firm was located on the 700 block of Main Street, above Epstein's Dress Shop, more recently NZ Shoes, and currently Stockman Bank. Mr. Lucas recalls that there were 24 stairs to get to the Leavitt & Lucas office. W. B. Leavitt died while on vacation with his wife in 1956. In 1960, Mr. Lucas partnered with attorney Bill Jardine, and the firm's name was changed to Lucas & Jardine. Lucas & Jardine relocated their office to 513 Main Street, which is the building that Lucas & Tonn is located in today. Tom Monaghan joined the firm in 1968, and the firm name changed to Lucas, Jardine & Monaghan. In 1972, Jardine left the firm to open a separate practice. A. Lance Tonn joined the firm in 1978, and Gary L. Day joined in ____. At this time, the firm's name was Lucas, Monaghan, Tonn & Day. Gary Day ran for and was elected District Court Judge for the 16th Judicial District in 1997. Judge Day remains on the bench to this day. In 2000, Tom Monaghan died after succumbing to brain cancer, and after Monaghan's passing, the firm name was shortened to Lucas & Tonn. A. Lance Tonn died in 2010 following a long battle with Leukemia. For the first time since 1956, James P. Lucas was the only attorney in the firm. In 2011, attorneys Daniel Z. Rice and Bryant S. Martin partnered with Mr. Lucas, and the three attorneys continue to provide legal services to Miles City, carrying forward a practice which originated in the earliest days of Miles City with Charles H. Loud's private practice in 1891.
Author: D. Rice  Posted: Fri May 18 4:32:48 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Thanks Cindy! I appreciate the help/information.
Author: Donator Karen L. Morris  Posted: Sat May 19 4:41:17 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Thanks, Dan! I always enjoy reading about the local history--even if it reminds me that I just might be getting older since I remember much of it when it happened. big grin

Karen
Author: Stone  Posted: Sat May 19 7:46:15 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Dan, great job. In order to know where you are going you have to know where you have been. My hats off to you young men for wanting to learn about the history of your firm.
Author: D. Rice  Posted: Tue May 22 2:10:24 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Thanks, Stone - the history has been very fun to learn about.

I met with Amorette yesterday - which was truly a pleasure. She told me a lot about Judge Loud, and she and Elaine Forman hooked me up with some photos and info about both Loud and Leavitt. Steve Allison scanned and touched up an old photo that Amorette dug up...

Thanks again everyone, your help has been very much appreciated.
Author: worldmom  Posted: Thu May 24 1:30:31 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
I can't get the link to work, Hal. Thanks to Bart Freese, I have a photocopy of the info about "our" guy (Lorenzo Winchester Stacy), but I'd love to be able to share it with others.
Author: Jackie Fritsch  Posted: Sat Sep 29 9:45:32 PM MDT 2012 From: - WI
I realize this is a long way out and you may no longer be on this site but I am in search of the bio and picture of George Edkins in the book Progressive Men of Montana. Your link does not work. Can you tell me how I can find it?

Jackie
Author: Cindy Stalcup  Posted: Sat Sep 29 10:09:29 PM MDT 2012 From:
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Contact Info