You are here > Top: Forums: Computers, Internet & Technology: Have picked up a virus I think
Computers, Internet & Technology Forum Topic
You are viewing the Have picked up a virus I think topic in the Computers, Internet & Technology forum.
 Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/2/2009 6:23:23 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, Kacey, 8/2/2009 7:08:39 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, TK, 8/2/2009 8:08:00 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/2/2009 8:31:23 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkDonator David Schott, 8/2/2009 9:16:58 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, Levi Forman, 8/2/2009 9:19:58 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, Chuck Schott, 8/2/2009 10:36:04 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 3:33:08 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, Nancy Drew, 8/3/2009 6:07:11 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 6:21:50 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, GW, 8/3/2009 7:26:05 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkDonator David Schott, 8/3/2009 9:59:39 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 10:19:40 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, M T Zook, 8/3/2009 10:27:46 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 10:39:40 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkDonator David Schott, 8/3/2009 11:17:18 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 11:30:09 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkDonator David Schott, 8/3/2009 11:37:17 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 11:42:44 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 11:57:02 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkDonator David Schott, 8/3/2009 1:46:05 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 2:27:04 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 3:15:17 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkDonator David Schott, 8/3/2009 3:28:06 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/3/2009 3:29:02 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkAdmin MilesCity.com Webmaster, 8/31/2009 11:00:45 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/31/2009 11:11:21 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkDonator David Schott, 8/31/2009 11:22:43 AM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I thinkAdmin MilesCity.com Webmaster, 8/31/2009 12:03:30 PM
 RE: Have picked up a virus I think, howdy, 8/31/2009 12:09:51 PM
 Subject: Have picked up a virus I think
Author: howdy  Posted: Sun Aug 2 6:23:23 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
the screen goes totally white after a few moments and the only way I can change screens is task manager...any suggestions?? I have tried to back it up and no dice twice...tried registry mechanic and no dice...any comments gratefully appreciated...
 Subject: RE: Have picked up a virus I think
Author: Kacey  Posted: Sun Aug 2 7:08:39 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
kharma? just kidding...I wish you luck. I have no idea.
Author: TK  Posted: Sun Aug 2 8:08:00 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
Give Brandon at Computer Solutions a call; he may be able to help!
Author: howdy  Posted: Sun Aug 2 8:31:23 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
Thanks, will have to do that...Do anyone have a phone number for him??
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Sun Aug 2 9:16:58 PM MDT 2009 From:
Can you define "after a few moments"? After some period of inactivity (i.e. not moving the mouse/typing)? Or after x amount of time no matter what you are doing/no matter what program you are currently/actively using?

and the only way I can change screens is task manager

Change screens? You mean, have your monitor go from all white back to showing you your programs?

So the screen is all white and you press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up Task Manager and instantly the screen is no longer white and you see Task Manager and you see all of your other programs and everything is normal... for a few moments?

Do you have a screensaver set to run?
Author: Levi Forman  Posted: Sun Aug 2 9:19:58 PM MDT 2009 From:
Never mind I didn't read very well.

I think Dave is on the right track.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (8/2/2009)]
Author: Chuck Schott  Posted: Sun Aug 2 10:36:04 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
Howdy, you listen to brother Dave he's talked me off more than one cliff in the computer world. wink
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 3:33:08 AM MDT 2009 From: - MT
after a few minutes my normal looking web site goes all white...no tool bars nothing...then I go to task manager and switch screens that way and that is the only way I can move it...frustrating..I have tried spyware doctor and registry mechanic to no avail...I mean when I go to task manager and go thru the motions of highlighting which web site I want and then click on switch screens it works..that is only way...If nothing is loaded task manager won't work and you have to restart...

[This message has been edited by howdy (8/3/2009)]
Author: Nancy Drew  Posted: Mon Aug 3 6:07:11 AM MDT 2009 From: - MN
Did you try goggling the problem? That is what I have done with total success.
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 6:21:50 AM MDT 2009 From: - MT
Tried it but no success...
Author: GW  Posted: Mon Aug 3 7:26:05 AM MDT 2009 From: - TX
Might try calling Anita at 853-0213. She advertised a while back about doing computer work. Good Luck
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Mon Aug 3 9:59:39 AM MDT 2009 From:
Howdy, are you using Internet Explorer 7 or 8? If so, you can try starting IE in "safe mode" so that no browser addons are loaded.

Firefox can also be loaded in "safe mode".

This web site gives details on how to do it:

http://www.killertechtips.com/2008/...efox-without-addons/

If starting in safe mode solves the problem then you need to scrutinize what addons you have and try to identify which one might be causing the trouble.
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 10:19:40 AM MDT 2009 From: - MT
I don't know what addons are and don't know what I am doing here lol...I am trying to follow your directions but need more help as I am a complete dummy with computers..When I disable addons, then what do I do...I have started in safe mode and then rolled the clock back twice to no avail...Sadly, you are talking to an idiot on a computer...Maybe you should just sign on to my computer and look...Is this feasible or is this asking too much..I apologize in advance if it is too much...thanks Dave..Oh I am using IE 8 I think...with Vista..

Author: M T Zook  Posted: Mon Aug 3 10:27:46 AM MDT 2009 From:
I'm a Mac.
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 10:39:40 AM MDT 2009 From: - MT
I am using a Dell Inspiron laptop...Fairly new...IE 8..this is the first virus (if that is it) that I have experienced on this laptop..
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Mon Aug 3 11:17:18 AM MDT 2009 From:
Howdy,

Microsoft has a good FAQ on browser addons here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...7ea76df9b7e1033.mspx

To start IE w/out addons:

To temporarily disable all add-ons
 Click the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 11:30:09 AM MDT 2009 From: - MT
ok done to your specs...awaiting further instructions...
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Mon Aug 3 11:37:17 AM MDT 2009 From:
Well, just do what you normally do prior to this:

after a few minutes my normal looking web site goes all white...no tool bars nothing...

And see if it still happens.

Some websites you visit may not work normally without addons enabled so be aware of that.

The point is to see if one of the addons that is being loaded might be the source of your "white screen" problem. If you picked up something undesirable (adware, etc.) while browsing that is causing your white screen problem there is a chance it was in the form of a browser addon.

- Dave
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 11:42:44 AM MDT 2009 From: - MT
OK, am doing that....so far nothing is happening...looks good, but how do I identify which one it is?? Thanks again for your help..
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 11:57:02 AM MDT 2009 From: - MT
OK, David, I think that was it..Now what do I do?? It sure is great not seeing that gross white screen anymore...
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Mon Aug 3 1:46:05 PM MDT 2009 From:
Sounds like you might have a bad browser addon. You need to figure out which one.

This link gives a discussion of a problem similar to yours and steps to try.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t17912...y_appears_blank_page

The last set of steps is a discussion of attempting to identify the problematic addon:
1. Open Internet Explorer 7/8. 
2. Click Tools, point to Manage Add-ons, and then click
Enable or Disable Add-ons.
3. In the Show box, select Add-ons that have been used by
Internet Explorer to display all add-ons that are installed
on the computer.
4. For each item in this list, select the add-on, and then
click Disable under Settings.
5. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.
6. Exit and then restart Internet Explorer 7/8.
7. If issues do not occur, repeat steps 1 through 3.
8. Click Enable for a single add-on.
9. Repeat steps 6 through 8 until you determine which
add-on causes errors to occur.
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 2:27:04 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
Before reading your last post, I had gone thru the add ons and disabled three of them that looked kinda suspicious...then I restarted the computer..So far everything is working great..So, hopefully, I have fixed this problem, thanks to you...I am deeply grateful for your assistance..If it returns, I will let you know...Thanks again...
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 3:15:17 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
Oh boy did I speak too soon...I disabled all the ones under IE and Microsoft and still get the white monster...Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...It is the desktop itself that goes white, mostly...Now the web sites don't...This is maddening..

Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Mon Aug 3 3:28:06 PM MDT 2009 From:
Sorry to hear it, Howdy. Unless someone else here wants to tackle the problem online I guess you're going to have to find someone local to take a look at it.

- Dave
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 3 3:29:02 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
Well I give up....The web sites now don't go white but the desktop does..
As long as I have a web site up it is ok, but the minute I close all the windows, all I see is a sea of white...no desktop at all...no controls, etc..if i click that little desktop button at the bottom left of the vista screen you can still see a desktop but does you do good when you try to get to it...It is only white...Hope this makes sense..frown I will try to take it in to town this week sometime..thanks again for trying..

Author: Admin MilesCity.com Webmaster  Posted: Mon Aug 31 11:00:45 AM MDT 2009 From: - WA
I would assume your problem is caused by either:

(A) malware or a virus on your system,
(B) a display driver problem,
(C) a corrupted browser installation, or
(D) a corrupted Windows installation

The chance of (A) is reduced if you have anti-virus software running on your computer and don't open file attachments sent to you in e-mail. If either of those are false, you should download and install an anti-virus package.

In regards to (B) you should check with the manufacturer of your computer and/or video card to see if there are newer or updated display drivers available. Reinstall them if necissary.

In regards to (C), install a different browser (e.g. http://www.firefox.com) and see if the problem persists when using it. If it goes away, then something in regards to IE8 is causing the issue.

If all of the above fails, then perhaps your hard disk or Windows itself has become corrupted. You can check the integrity of your hard disk with the error-checking tool in Windows. If something in Windows has become corrupted, then you'll probably need to have an expert re-install Vista.
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 31 11:11:21 AM MDT 2009 From: - MT
did you see the link I posted? The people on there seem to think it is a problem with Vista...they seem knowledgeable about computers which I certainly am not...I will try firefox, but if it is Vista, then that won't help will it?? It seems to be connected with the issues of multiple users if that is a help...the white screen etc doesn't occur anymore just the screen resolution changing at will...

[This message has been edited by howdy (8/31/2009)]
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Mon Aug 31 11:22:43 AM MDT 2009 From:
Howdy, if your Dell laptop is only a few months old and exhibiting those display problems (browser goes white, desktop goes white, resolution changes when laptop goes into standby mode, etc.) I would be leaning on Dell's support to solve the problem. If it's a Microsoft bug that is affecting many Dell users, Dell has channels for contacting Microsoft and getting a fix.

My guess is you either have a virus/malware problem, a configuration problem (incorrect display driver?), or you have some software program installed that is causing a conflict and causing the problem to occur.

Dell support can verify that you are using the correct display driver for your hardware. If your laptop came with a "recovery/system restore" CD they may talk you into restoring your laptop to the original factory state to see if that addresses the issue. Be forewarned that doing so will very likely delete any data you have stored on the laptop's hard drive.
Author: Admin MilesCity.com Webmaster  Posted: Mon Aug 31 12:03:30 PM MDT 2009 From: - WA
What Dave said.

Also, it appears from searching the web that the "white screen" problem was probably caused by the Incredimail Magentic software.

I don't know if any side effects remain after removing it, however Microsoft does have a detailed knowledge-base article explaining how to completely remove it.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...scid=kb;en-us;297069

I would use extreme caution if you decide to start manually deleting stuff from the registry though.
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Aug 31 12:09:51 PM MDT 2009 From: - MT
OMG that scares me to death...I would never attempt it..just not knowledgeable enough...I have used registry mechanic etc...but to do that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy above my paygrade so to speak...plus I do use Incredimail for my email and have for years with no issues...I think I am lost at this point...Thanks for your help...

[This message has been edited by howdy (8/31/2009)]
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Donate | Contact Info