The day they bombed Miles City
Posted by James Birkholz (+26) 12 years ago
Interesting article on something I'd never heard about:
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13852198&BRD=377&PAG=461&dept_id=531813&rfi=6

During World War II, aerial bombs were used to break a dangerous ice flow blockage that threatened to flood us out.
founder
Posted by Pete Petro (+285) 12 years ago
I remember it well. It was something to see and having seen something I'll never forget. Shows you how old I am, doesn't it?
Pete
Posted by Fred South (+118) 11 years ago
I have some pics of the flood and bombing. Are you interested in having copies?

Fred South
founder
Posted by Pete Petro (+285) 11 years ago
You bet, Fred. How do I get them?
Pete
Posted by Eric Brandt (+848) 11 years ago
I would be willing to add them to my online gallery.

It's currently getting a face lift from the train wreck incident which spawned the idea. Should be online later this week.

If you have captions and descriptions, the new gallery can display those too. In fact, it has an article scrolling feature if you want to add some stories to it.

Let me know.

Eric Brandt
By the way, the flooding that resulted from that incident was photographed professionally. There is a copy of it at the City Engineer's Office, and there is also one hanging up at Dairy Queen. You can clearly seethe ice jams on the river. Pretty much the same old dyke, not much has gon into it since then...
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+8410) 11 years ago
As for the dike, it's actually a completely new (relatively speaking ) one. Different Seventh St. bridge, too.

Amorette
In my talks with the City Engineering Office, I was led to believe that there have been some minor improvements from time to time, and (relatively) large amount of work on the east side in the 70's, but I was told that the dyke has not been completely re-done as necessary.

If you have mor information available, please let me know and I will come get it.

Thanks, Amorrette, (or anyone else for that matter :-))

Eric Brandt