100 years for the "Hotel Olive."
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9346) 10 years ago
From the M.C. Independent February 21, 1908:

LEIGHTON HOTEL RENAMED

The Newer Structure Will be Known Henceforth as Hotel Olive

Commencing with Saturday, February 15, the enlarged, renewed and refurbished hotel generally known as the "Leighton" will be christened Hotel Olive.

The extension of the old structure and the repairs and changes in the older portions of the building are approaching completion, and Manager Kennie hopes to open the whole building as Hotel Olive on April 1st prox. There will eighty rooms, 24 of which are new.

The partition which now separates the lobby from the bar will be taken out and the bar space will hereafter be included in the lobby. The staircase is also changed to open on the west side entrance. The bar will be in the new portion of the hotel. Other changes will happen.

Hotel Olive will be conducted on the European plan. The substitution of the European for the American plan will not be a hardship on local and usual customers who will be provided for, and their wants catered to with the same care which has heretofore characterized the management of the Leighton.

The name is not changed for any disrespect to the late Mr. Leighton. His picture will adorn the walls of the new dining room when completed. The dining room has been enlarged 15 feet and will be a very modern and attractive place when the wall decorations are completed.

The wainscoting is in oak, and just above that, spaces are paneled all around the room, and beveled plate mirrors will be set in each of the many panels. The wall and ceiling decorations, as planned, are strictly modern but unusual in cities the size of Miles. It will be one of the finest hotel dining rooms in the state of Montana and will seat 80 people.

The kitchen has been refurnished with new fixtures, steam tables, refrigerator and range, at a cost of $1,500. A new chef from Chicago will have full charge of the kitchen.

Mr. A.W. Kennie, the manager of the Hotel Olive, and also the owner of the structure and its business, has endeavored to amplify, refurnish and renovate this hotel, so that it will be a pride to our citizens, also provide most satisfactory entertainment for both local and transient guests.
supporter
Posted by Jon Boe (+157) 10 years ago
Interesting. Does anyone know where the "Olive" came from in the Hotel Olive?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9346) 10 years ago
Kennie's had two daughters, Olive and Cora. Cora ending up running the hotel into the early 1950's but it was named after her sister.
Posted by Kate (+85) 10 years ago
Amorette -
When did we go from "Miles Town" to "Miles City"?
Posted by Ted Briggs-Comstock (+19) one year ago
I'm interested in the history of the Olive Hotel. My father, Ted L Comstock, was born in 1907 and moved to Miles City very soon after. He is listed in a 1927 city directory as Manager of the Olive. I know he worked as a bellhop, probably from soon after he graduated 8th grade, which would have been about 1921. In the '30 census he is listed as Clerk, so I don't know if he got demoted or had inflated his earlier claim!

I'll post a pic of him in his bellhop uniform, if I can figure out how to do it.

I'm interested in any information about him (his parents were Abner and Mae) or my mother, Thelma Vest (parents Isaac Fowler and Gertrude) or any of her many siblings, all in Miles City.
Posted by Noreen (+10) one year ago
Couldn't say what year, but my dad worked at the Olive Hotel as a chef. It was such a big place for me as a young girl, and to me, elegant.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
Posted by Skryan5747 (+2) 23 days ago
Reply to Amorette Allison (#43685)
Funny that I get the same info my family told me. Qura is my great Aunt and my Grandfather was head of the Chamber at one time. The hotel is not the same as it once was as of 12yrs back. But the switch board is still there. Still has the same charm though, but maybe I’m biased!
Posted by Andy Hanson (+159) 21 days ago
My grandfather Ole lived at the Hotel Olive for many years. He and his son Roy had an office just off the lobby called Hanson and Son. This would be in the 30's and into the 40's, but later my father had his office downtown a couple of blocks and my grandfather moved over to the Ingham Hotel where he lived with an office in the basement. Never forget Ole sitting in a rocking chair on the Olive porch watching the traffic on Main St.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+2